Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What's sad is that Luther had no idea what he was talking about, and had no intention of ripping the Church apart. He, a Catholic, found a Catholic doctrine in a Catholic book.

I'm not sure what your purpose is, but if your hope is to change minds, this approach isn't going to work. It's more a "preaching to the choir" message.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure what your purpose is, but if your hope is to change minds, this approach isn't going to work. It's more a "preaching to the choir" message.
I'm not trying to change minds, unless telling the Truth happens to do so. I want people to know the truth.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not trying to change minds, unless telling the Truth happens to do so. I want people to know the truth.

OK. That's a good goal, but I've never met someone who subscribes to what they know to be false. Not to put words in your mouth, but maybe you mean you're trying to challenge certain beliefs and get people to think about them.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
OK. That's a good goal, but I've never met someone who subscribes to what they know to be false. Not to put words in your mouth, but maybe you mean you're trying to challenge certain beliefs and get people to think about them.
Oh, so you think I know all the truth? I'm not that sure. But my Church holds the Truth, and I stand by my Church.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure why you replied as you did. I've not said anything against you or your church.
Because you suggested that I'm preaching to the choir, or trying to change minds...

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Because you suggested that I'm preaching to the choir, or trying to change minds...

Yes, and you clarified. I then said I've never seen anyone follow what they know to be false. That is, I've never heard a statement like, "I know my minister lies all the time, but I'm going to trust him." So it would be fruitless to make a statement that differs from what a person currently accepts and expect they will suddenly change their mind.

I assumed you know that and wouldn't do such a thing. So I was trying to understand your purpose better. I was asking if you are challenging people and hoping to make them think about their position?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, and you clarified. I then said I've never seen anyone follow what they know to be false. That is, I've never heard a statement like, "I know my minister lies all the time, but I'm going to trust him." So it would be fruitless to make a statement that differs from what a person currently accepts and expect they will suddenly change their mind.

I assumed you know that and wouldn't do such a thing. So I was trying to understand your purpose better. I was asking if you are challenging people and hoping to make them think about their position?
I don't believe any one person that way. I trust my Church, which Christ instituted, not some man.
What I do on here is not to offer my opinion, when it comes to what the Catholic Church teaches, but to correct misconceptions of what the Catholic Church teaches.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What I do on here is not to offer my opinion, when it comes to what the Catholic Church teaches, but to correct misconceptions of what the Catholic Church teaches.

OK. That's much clearer. I think I understand you now. So what is the extent of subjects your church teaches? Or, to ask it another way, are there subjects your church would say are outside its purview?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
OK. That's much clearer. I think I understand you now. So what is the extent of subjects your church teaches? Or, to ask it another way, are there subjects your church would say are outside its purview?
Well, this thread is about the Reformation. My contribution is:
All misguided by the first ones, sad to say...What they, and most people don't realize is that the Church has been in a state of constant reformation for 2000 years. It is true that, at the time of the Reformation, it was still in need of reformation, but the Church was already in Reformation. As can be seen in modern day Catholic Church, it takes decades for changes to manifest themselves. If you look at what Vatican I and II did, and see where we stand in relation, you'll see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Him,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Here's another one, from my home town. George Wishart, gospel preacher, survived several assassination attempts then was burned at the stake by a Cardinal of questionably morality:

George Wishart

IMO this also shows why we should be wary of any institution of that ilk. When in the minority they says they wish to discuss with you, when in power they burn you.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, so you think I know all the truth? I'm not that sure. But my Church holds the Truth, and I stand by my Church.

Spoken like a true blue member of the roman church... they say so, and Jesse belives them.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Spoken like a true blue member of the roman church... they say so, and Jesse belives them.
Ah, you think I just believe it because they say it? I investigated, and continue to investigate. I've not found one error in Catholic doctrine. And I've looked at them all intensely before I converted. You see, I spent nearly 50 years lost as a Protestant-different flavors.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Bill,

Here's another one, from my home town. George Wishart, gospel preacher, survived several assassination attempts then was burned at the stake by a Cardinal of questionably morality:

George Wishart

IMO this also shows why we should be wary of any institution of that ilk. When in the minority they says they wish to discuss with you, when in power they burn you.

God Bless :)
As if burning Joan of Arc, a 19 year old girl, by the British Crown was something Protestants should be proud of?

At any rate, I think you're faith-ist (like a rac-ist), in that you think it happened only on one side, therefore you should throw out the other side. I'm not denying there aren't bad cardinals, bishops, priests, even popes. Why? Because humans are fallen. So any human has issues.
FWIW, the Catholic Church does more of what Jesus spoke of (feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, comforting the afflicted and imprisoned, giving drink to the thirsty, etc.), including educating the ignorant, than any other institution on earth, ever. So just because there are some bad ones doesn't mean you should throw out all the good.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As if burning Joan of Arc, a 19 year old girl, by the British Crown was something Protestants should be proud of?

There wasn't a British Crown until 1707, there wasn't a protestant until 1521, Joan of Arc was murdered in 1431. I'm afraid I have to burst your bubble and tell you that her murder was more likely down to the Catholic Church than any of the other sources you mentioned who at that time did not exist. God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At any rate, I think you're faith-ist (like a rac-ist), in that you think it happened only on one side, therefore you should throw out the other side. I'm not denying there aren't bad cardinals, bishops, priests, even popes. Why? Because humans are fallen. So any human has issues.
FWIW, the Catholic Church does more of what Jesus spoke of (feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, comforting the afflicted and imprisoned, giving drink to the thirsty, etc.), including educating the ignorant, than any other institution on earth, ever. So just because there are some bad ones doesn't mean you should throw out all the good.

Friend, you seem to be acting in a very irrational manner, projecting an image of being ultra-defensive and very biased. I'm not saying that the Catholic Church hasn't done good things. I added a Protestant Reformer to the list of hero Reformers provided in the OP. I added him because he's from my own home city. It's a fact of History that George Wishart was murdered by the RCC in a particularly cruel and evil way, if you have a problem with this fact then you have a problem, there's no way round it. It happened. God Bless :)

• Agree
Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There wasn't a British Crown until 1707, there wasn't a protestant until 1521, Joan of Arc was murdered in 1431. I'm afraid I have to burst your bubble and tell you that her murder was more likely down to the Catholic Church than any of the other sources you mentioned who at that time did not exist. God Bless.
False. The British soldiers, under the auspices of the British monarchy, murdered her. While they may not have been Protestant, they called her a heretic. On the other hand, there were Catholics who were killed for their faith by Protestants, no? Which, after all, was the point.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Friend, you seem to be acting in a very irrational manner, projecting an image of being ultra-defensive and very biased. I'm not saying that the Catholic Church hasn't done good things. I added a Protestant Reformer to the list of hero Reformers provided in the OP. I added him because he's from my own home city. It's a fact of History that George Wishart was murdered by the RCC in a particularly cruel and evil way, if you have a problem with this fact then you have a problem, there's no way round it. It happened. God Bless :)
When you call the Catholic Church "any institution of that ilk", you rankled my haunches. But what I was trying to say is that there were Protestants murdering Catholics in England, too. It happened. Do YOU have a problem with it?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Johann Esch and Heinrich Voes were the first martyrs for the Evangelical faith, in Vilvorde in 1522.

Britain had several Lutheran missionaries killed. Sir Patrick Hamilton was burned at the stake at St. Andrews in 1528. Henry VIII's regime itself executed numerous Protestants.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you call the Catholic Church "any institution of that ilk", you rankled my haunches. But what I was trying to say is that there were Protestants murdering Catholics in England, too. It happened. Do YOU have a problem with it?

Yes of course. Catholics murdering protestants and protestants murdering catholics, both abhorrent and contrary to the word of God. Do you think the murder of George Wishart by the RCC was an abhorrent act? God Bless.

Upvote 0