• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

recently diagnosed with high blood pressure

Ancient of Days

Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Jesus have given us the power to heal all kinds of sicknesses and all kinds of diseases (Matthew 10:1). If you can develop your faith in divine healing, you can be completely healed in no time.
Life style needed to be changed, alcohol, smoking, high cholesterol food such as meat (chicken, beef, goat, pork), eggs and milk and sweet bread and sweet drinks which contribute to fatness should be avoided and eat only vegetable and fruit will surely heal ourselves.

Upvote 0

Natto

Oct 27, 2020
Taipei
✟26,125.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would love to share with you how I combat with high blood pressure
When cooking, I try to eat much less amount of oil and reduce salt intake. (oil and salt move blood pressure upward.)
I become much more like a vegetarian after illness .( try lower down cholesterol intake). I exercise every other day (Every kg of weight reduced can help lower down pressure by 2.5 mmHg roughly, losing weight is beneficial.) I eat Tomato frequently (lycopene of tomatoes help smoother flow of blood stream and it can be prevention of stroke )!
celery is really good vegetable to quickly lower down blood pressure naturally, Green Tea can dissolve oil in blood stream when I eat fatty food (Sacred Green Tea). I also eat supple-mt such as nattozimes, whenever need, to dissolve some partial clogs in blood stream.
I turn up heater sometimes to stay warmer in winter and prevent blood pressure form getting high.
Stay peaceful mood and try to find less stressed jobs if possible.
I am still fighting this chronic illness...
cheers,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and my med have already been increased twice and they still don't seem to be working too well. Dr is talking about putting me on another med as well as the one I am already taking. Before the mess my BP was an average of 164/110

High blood pressure is a symptom of a root problem. The high blood pressure is not the problem. Your body is compensating for an underlying issue that's why its raising your blood pressure. Artificially changing your blood pressure is like unplugging the engine light in your car. I encourage you to do some research and see if you can find the root problem. Do an online search starting with " why is my body raising its blood pressure"

Blood pressure ratings from the MSME are not a "one size fits all" scale as they would like to believe. Some people have a higher BP and some people have a lower BP...

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Jan800

Mar 31, 2016
AZ
✟20,688.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and my med have already been increased twice and they still don't seem to be working too well. Dr is talking about putting me on another med as well as the one I am already taking. Before the mess my BP was an average of 164/110
Are you taking anything natural? You can google this. I was told I had hypertension today myself and bought some stuff from the vitamin store, with hawthorn, celery, hibiscus stuff like this. Natural remedies help too like lemon water. No side effects

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I will pray or your recovery from that stroke. The reason I asked the question though was just to show you that the original problem is not that you were deficient in the meds. You didn't get HBP because you were not taking enough Lisinopril for instance. Your blood pressure is controlled by a couple of things.
1. The kidneys - The kidneys' job is to filter the blood. Your kidneys are made up of a large number of tiny blood vessels and based on certain factors these blood vessels can become clogged. The clogging of these vessels causes a decrease in blood supply to the kidneys. As a result, the kidneys release an enzyme or hormone known as renin which causes a release an another enzyme called angiotensin and this increases the blood pressure in order to try to get more blood into the kidneys so it can filter the amount of blood it is supposed to. In convention medicine, one of the types of drugs they give for High Blood Pressure is known as an ACE Inhibitor or a Renin Inhibitor and this blocks the activity of the enzyme that the kidney produces to try to increase the blood pressure. By blocking these enzymes you keep the blood pressure down however, the original problem is not addressed and the issue remains. Overtime your kidneys get worse and worse and you end up on dialysis.

2. Adrenal Glands - The adrenal glands works with the kidneys to increase the blood pressure. The adrenal glands secrete a hormone known as Aldosterone which forces salt out of the cells and into the blood and increases the retention of salt in the kidneys. Salt is a mineral uses to help with the movement of fluids through the body through Osmosis. By increasing the concentration of salt in the kidneys, it will attract water (blood) to the kidneys and help to bring more blood into the kidneys. So it works with the enzymes renin and angiotensin. For this the doctor will give you a class of drugs known as Diuretics and these drugs force the salt out of the kidneys to then recrease the kidneys ability to pull blood into it. Again, original problem not solved.

3. Muscles in the Arteries - The arteries in our bodies contain smooth muscle which helps to push blood through the body by expanding and contracting in harmony with the beating of the heart. All muscles in the body need electrolytes in order to expand and contract properly. Specifically the muscles in the arteries need calcium and magnesium. Calcium helps the arteries contract or constrict. Magnesium helps the arteries to expand or relax. If you are deficient in magnesium, the arteries will constrict much more than it should and not relax enough and that will increase the blood pressure. Another class of HPB drugs they give is known as a Calcium Channel Blocker. This drug blocks the entry of calcium into the cell. With less calcium in the cell, the arteries constrict less and the blood pressure normalizes. But that does not fix the magnesium deficiency and since magnesium has over 400 functions in the body, you will eventually have problems elsewhere.

I tried to be very specific and give you the names of the hormones and enzymes so you can do your own research to validate these points.
The most obvious reason 90% of Americans have hypertension is because they are overweight, eat high sugar-fat diets and don't exercise.

Upvote 0