• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

recently diagnosed with high blood pressure

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and my med have already been increased twice and they still don't seem to be working too well. Dr is talking about putting me on another med as well as the one I am already taking. Before the mess my BP was an average of 164/110

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I assume your in america? Stress is so common in america that more and more people are being put on high blood pressure pills. My mom is one three plus a another one for her heart alone. I am one a pill for high blood pressure too. It could also be other things besides stress like diet (to much salt for example), lack of exercise...etc. Which does apply to me to sadly.

It takes time for your body to adjust to the pills. And sometimes, as you know they add more and more until the BP goes down a bit. Unless they find its something else causing it. My problem is BP meds are very hard on your organs. I hate them, er the pills, not my organs.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and my med have already been increased twice and they still don't seem to be working too well. Dr is talking about putting me on another med as well as the one I am already taking. Before the mess my BP was an average of 164/110

Are you saying that your bp was 164/110 before this diagnosis?

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying that your bp was 164/110 before this diagnosis?
My BP could be higher than that before diagnosis. It lowered a bit when I started taking meds but could still go that high. Am now being investigated further because it is thought that I have suffered a small stroke. I have dizziness just about all the time with headache, some right sided weakness.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My BP could be higher than that before diagnosis. It lowered a bit when I started taking meds but could still go that high. Am now being investigated further because it is thought that I have suffered a small stroke. I have dizziness just about all the time with headache, some right sided weakness.

Bummer. I wish you well.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well one question for you to think about. Did you get high blood pressure because you were lacking those drugs?

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Well one question for you to think about. Did you get high blood pressure because you were lacking those drugs?
As far as I am aware I had the medication because of my high blood pressure. When I went to hospital, there were no beds available so as I am carer to my husband I asked to go home, which I did. I wasn't gI've any extra meds at the time but in clinic 5 days later. I will have a home visit from the stroke nurse on Thursday. This will be 3 weeks after my stroke .....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as I am aware I had the medication because of my high blood pressure. When I went to hospital, there were no beds available so as I am carer to my husband I asked to go home, which I did. I wasn't gI've any extra meds at the time but in clinic 5 days later. I will have a home visit from the stroke nurse on Thursday. This will be 3 weeks after my stroke .....

I will pray or your recovery from that stroke. The reason I asked the question though was just to show you that the original problem is not that you were deficient in the meds. You didn't get HBP because you were not taking enough Lisinopril for instance. Your blood pressure is controlled by a couple of things.
1. The kidneys - The kidneys' job is to filter the blood. Your kidneys are made up of a large number of tiny blood vessels and based on certain factors these blood vessels can become clogged. The clogging of these vessels causes a decrease in blood supply to the kidneys. As a result, the kidneys release an enzyme or hormone known as renin which causes a release an another enzyme called angiotensin and this increases the blood pressure in order to try to get more blood into the kidneys so it can filter the amount of blood it is supposed to. In convention medicine, one of the types of drugs they give for High Blood Pressure is known as an ACE Inhibitor or a Renin Inhibitor and this blocks the activity of the enzyme that the kidney produces to try to increase the blood pressure. By blocking these enzymes you keep the blood pressure down however, the original problem is not addressed and the issue remains. Overtime your kidneys get worse and worse and you end up on dialysis.

2. Adrenal Glands - The adrenal glands works with the kidneys to increase the blood pressure. The adrenal glands secrete a hormone known as Aldosterone which forces salt out of the cells and into the blood and increases the retention of salt in the kidneys. Salt is a mineral uses to help with the movement of fluids through the body through Osmosis. By increasing the concentration of salt in the kidneys, it will attract water (blood) to the kidneys and help to bring more blood into the kidneys. So it works with the enzymes renin and angiotensin. For this the doctor will give you a class of drugs known as Diuretics and these drugs force the salt out of the kidneys to then recrease the kidneys ability to pull blood into it. Again, original problem not solved.

3. Muscles in the Arteries - The arteries in our bodies contain smooth muscle which helps to push blood through the body by expanding and contracting in harmony with the beating of the heart. All muscles in the body need electrolytes in order to expand and contract properly. Specifically the muscles in the arteries need calcium and magnesium. Calcium helps the arteries contract or constrict. Magnesium helps the arteries to expand or relax. If you are deficient in magnesium, the arteries will constrict much more than it should and not relax enough and that will increase the blood pressure. Another class of HPB drugs they give is known as a Calcium Channel Blocker. This drug blocks the entry of calcium into the cell. With less calcium in the cell, the arteries constrict less and the blood pressure normalizes. But that does not fix the magnesium deficiency and since magnesium has over 400 functions in the body, you will eventually have problems elsewhere.

I tried to be very specific and give you the names of the hormones and enzymes so you can do your own research to validate these points.

Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟137,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try ground flax seeds.

1. Buy whole flax seeds from Whole Foods or similar grocery store.
2. Grind up about 1 cup's worth in a coffee grinder or small blender.
3. Store the ground flax seeds in your refrigerator for up to a week.
4. Sprinkle a Tablespoon onto one of your meals everyday.
5. Monitor your blood pressure at home.

*note, you have to grind the flax seeds up because the seeds themselves are so tough that they survive chewing and digestion, meaning you won't absorb the nutrients if you eat them whole.

Upvote 0

LifeFreeInTheSpirit

Nov 15, 2017
Salisbury
✟15,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What you need to do to drive down your blood pressure is go on a Daniel fast. Trust me it works. It will take you out of the blood pressure struggle. If you want to get rid of your high blood pressure completely you will have to stop your meat and dairy intake for a extended period of time. You will heal. It is animal products and the fat from them that cause high blood pressure and many other diseases. Trust me. table salt is no good. Use Himalayan pink salt. Any other questions you may have feel free to ask me.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Try eliminating totally all salt of any kind from your diet. That means no processed foods at all. Cook and prepare everything yourself. Your sodium needs can be met very easily by choosing whole natural foods that are high in sodium. Continue taking your BP meds however until you, and your doctor, can determine whether eliminating salt has helped.

Also, you cannot just 'reduce' your salt intake to some arbitrary lower level. You must eliminate salt altogether to the best of your ability until you can determine if it is contributing to your HBP. This will likely take several months of observation on your part, using an accurate home BP gauge and keeping careful daily records.

Important. Some meds affect kidney function. If your urine seems too pale (lack of the usual straw-yellow color) your meds might be reducing the ability of your kidneys to remove.....salt, which will then build up in your tissues causing problems, which might include increased blood pressure. Test your urine for this by drying a drop on a glass or mirror (each time you urinate) and observing the amount of salt in the drop. It should reveal a goodly amount of salt crystals if your kidneys are working effectively.

Another indication of poor kidney function is the prevalence of 'salty mucus and phlegm' resulting from the body's attempt to remove excess salt via another vector; the mucus membranes, particularly the sinuses. Pay attention to the saltiness of your spittle/sputum. If you have persistent mucus/phlegm flow and it always tastes very salty your kidneys might not be removing excess salt effectively.

Regardless of any change in BP you will probably feel much better generally when you rid your body of excess salt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you go on blood pressure meds, make sure you keep your potassium levels up. My step dad went into cardiac arrest 3 times from low potassium.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you go on blood pressure meds, make sure you keep your potassium levels up. My step dad went into cardiac arrest 3 times from low potassium.

Potatoes and bananas are good sources of potassium. Supplements are cheap as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 15 years ago it was 210/120 and the doctor practically freaked. I was put on meds immediately but it took a while to find the particular medication and dosage that worked in my case. Some caused swelling in my legs to the point that I couldn't wear shoes, others lowered my BP to the point that I felt dizzy and sometimes fainted. I have been on my present medication for about 10 years now and it is working well.

Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
playing about with home remedies can counter the good work the Meds are doing.
Always tell your doctor about any changes to your diet, and about anything you are taking.

Until he knows why you have high blood pressure and or possible stroke don't mess, be guided by him.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
playing about with home remedies can counter the good work the Meds are doing.
Always tell your doctor about any changes to your diet, and about anything you are taking.

Until he knows why you have high blood pressure and or possible stroke don't mess, be guided by him.

Some BP meds have serious, or very annoying, side effects, that most doctors purposely ignore. They are focused on BP only. A cardiologist wanted to double my statin, and in fact ordered it stating that "this was the new regimen". I refused, and remained on my original dose. My next lipid panel showed great numbers. My doctor was surprised that this cardiologist had done that.

My own doctor ignored my complaint that I felt terrible all the time, muscle aches mainly. I also told him that I thought my urine should be more yellow, not almost clear. I tested my urine for salt and discovered that my kidneys were not removing it, which I accounted for my aches and pains. I went off all my meds for three months (doctors will also take you off meds if serious side effects develop) and gradually felt better as my proper kidney function returned and salt again appeared, in large quantities, in my urine. This was 'hidden' salt that had built up in my system and was causing the aches and pains. Of course I carefully monitored my blood pressure and it remained low even without BP meds, although I did have 'spikes' when my body was removing large quantities of toxins, but I controlled these spikes with nitro.

I go in next month and will discuss all these things with my doctor. I will be proactive with my health as I value quality of life as well as longevity. Left to the doctors all I would be is a walking (or a 'limping') drugstore.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend anyone else doing this. I am pretty well in tune with my body so I feel I can do this without much danger (if I get in trouble the ER is just minutes away).

Last edited:
Upvote 0