Racist incident involving bananas hanging from nooses reported at American University

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hope they catch whoever did it. As I've said before when incidents like this appear: It could be actual racists doing it or it could be someone wanting us to think that. It could go either way in today's world, as we've seen repeatedly of late.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hope they catch whoever did it. As I've said before when incidents like this appear: It could be actual racists doing it or it could be someone wanting us to think that. It could go either way in today's world, as we've seen repeatedly of late.

Could be trolls.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Even if said trolls turn out to be black?
Since when did being part of the same group negate the racism? There were black people that perpetuated the system of apartheid in South Africa, did that make the system less racist? No.

I'm quite surprised that there are people that truly believe the "It's not racist if you put a black face on it" mantra... then again, watching many of the black contributors who attack black people on Fox News, it is no surprise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Trolls are still racist, even if you're not a "serious racist."
The problem is that some folks try to make others seem racist when they aren't. And so they'll do secret racist things in hopes that there will be a knee jerk reaction, and the wrong group will be blamed.

• Agree
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Since when did being part of the same group negate the racism? There were black people that perpetuated the system of apartheid in South Africa, did that make the system less racist? No.

I'm quite surprised that there are people that truly believe the "It's not racist if you put a black face on it" mantra... then again, watching many of the black contributors who attack black people on Fox News, it is no surprise.
It must be difficult, going through life and seeing racism in absolutely everything.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The problem is that some folks try to make others seem racist when they aren't. And so they'll do secret racist things in hopes that there will be a knee jerk reaction, and the wrong group will be blamed.
And that would be a fraud. The statement was that this is a troll or a fraud. I recognize there are frauds out there, like the kid in Israel calling in bomb threats to synagogues. The flip side of that are the trolls, that are saying and doing racist things; I consider them racists, even if they're being flippant.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Why are you attacking black folks?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And that would be a fraud. The statement was that this is a troll or a fraud. I recognize there are frauds out there, like the kid in Israel calling in bomb threats to synagogues. The flip side of that are the trolls, that are saying and doing racist things; I consider them racists, even if they're being flippant.
They aren't racists, though. They are just trying make an issue seem more prevalent than it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Annnd that value of the term "racist" goes further down the gutter...
While I don't consider someone that calls Jews cheap and argues they shouldn't be trusted is equal to someone who advocates for genocide of all Jewish people, they are both antisemitic. There is no change in the "value" of antisemitism by pointing out both people are antisemitic. :yawn:

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I don't consider someone that calls Jews cheap and argues they shouldn't be trusted is equal to someone who advocates for genocide of all Jewish people, they are both antisemitic. There is no change in the "value" of antisemitism by pointing out both people are antisemitic.

But that hinges in that fact that they're serious with their statements..

Pretending not to understand other's posts makes one tired? What's the point of that emoticon?

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've heard people joking about "Jewing" down the price to a Jewish person as a joke, it was all in fun, there's nothing wrong with that!

Not saying what these people did was alright. Just that there doesn't necessarily have to be racist intentions behind it, even if it was mean spirited and in poor taste.

If it was trolling, it was still a dark thing for them to do.

Upvote 0