Why Biden's past attempts at the Presidency failed.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why Joe Biden’s First Campaign for President Collapsed After Just 3 Months

The “final blow” for the campaign came when Newsweek unearthed C-SPAN footage of Biden rattling off his academic accomplishments, including saying that he graduated in the top half of his law school, when in fact, he ranked 76th out of 85.

This and the recurring accusations and example of
plagiarism killed his campaign.

Beginning at 3:25

His issues date back to his college days.

Flashback: 'Biden Admits Plagiarizing in Law School,' 'Academic Claims Inaccurate'

Six days before he withdrew from the 1987-88 presidential race, then-Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.), who was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, confessed that he had plagiarized a paper in law school, as the Washington Post reported at the time with the headline, "Biden Admits Plagiarizing in Law School."
Then in 2008 when he ran a second time:

Biden failed to garner significant support in opinion polls, and was marred by controversial comments made while campaigning. He ultimately dropped out of the race on January 3, 2008, after coming in fifth place and capturing less than 1% of the vote in the Iowa caucus.[4]
What were the controversial comments - well many thought they were racist in nature.

"When I heard his comments I thought Joe Biden was referring to a bygone era," said Donna Brazile, the former campaign manager for Al Gore's 2000 presidential campaign and a prominent African-American political consultant. "Years ago when white folks referred to black people with education they often used words like articulate. To suggest they were different, they were acceptable. That they were OK as compared to rest of African-Americans. So I think it came across that Joe Biden was referring to Sen. Obama as if he was a candidate running in the 1960s, not in the 21st century."

"They are loaded words," Rev. Jesse Jackson told ABC News. "And that's why he should interpret what he meant by those loaded words. It was an attempt I thought to diminish Barack's attributes and dismissive of our previous campaigns that made Barack's candidacy possible."
Why is this important in 2022 - Because as demonstrated in numerous other threads, a person's past where they lack integrity or truthfulness is consideration for their fit for office.

Plagiarism, exaggeration, and off color remarks has been a large part of his past, and should be considered as part of the total picture.

Has he apologized for his past actions, or are they being ignored?

If he has owned up to them, admitted and apologized for them, then I say give him another chance, but I have not seen proof of him doing such.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The “final blow” for the campaign came when Newsweek unearthed C-SPAN footage of Biden rattling off his academic accomplishments, including saying that he graduated in the top half of his law school, when in fact, he ranked 76th out of 85.

Flashback: 'Biden Admits Plagiarizing in Law School,' 'Academic Claims Inaccurate'

Six days before he withdrew from the 1987-88 presidential race, then-Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.), who was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, confessed that he had plagiarized a paper in law school, as the Washington Post reported at the time with the headline, "Biden Admits Plagiarizing in Law School."

Biden failed to garner significant support in opinion polls, and was marred by controversial comments made while campaigning. He ultimately dropped out of the race on January 3, 2008, after coming in fifth place and capturing less than 1% of the vote in the Iowa caucus.[4]
What were the controversial comments - well many thought they were racist in nature.

"When I heard his comments I thought Joe Biden was referring to a bygone era," said Donna Brazile, the former campaign manager for Al Gore's 2000 presidential campaign and a prominent African-American political consultant. "Years ago when white folks referred to black people with education they often used words like articulate. To suggest they were different, they were acceptable. That they were OK as compared to rest of African-Americans. So I think it came across that Joe Biden was referring to Sen. Obama as if he was a candidate running in the 1960s, not in the 21st century."

"They are loaded words," Rev. Jesse Jackson told ABC News. "And that's why he should interpret what he meant by those loaded words. It was an attempt I thought to diminish Barack's attributes and dismissive of our previous campaigns that made Barack's candidacy possible."
Why is this important in 2022 - Because as demonstrated in numerous other threads, a person's past where they lack integrity or truthfulness is consideration for their fit for office.

Plagiarism, exaggeration, and off color remarks has been a large part of his past, and should be considered as part of the total picture.

If he has owned up to them, admitted and apologized for them, then I say give him another chance, but I have not seen proof of him doing such.
He suffered a brain aneurysm during the 1988 campaign. Symptoms might have been affecting him before diagnosis.
His good partnership with President Obama for 8 years pretty much makes up for a verbal gaffe or two in 2008.
He may not have been the most gifted law student but he graduated. I give him high scores on emotional intelligence.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I detect a double standard in the OP. Not that it matters, because it's true that Biden doesn't deserve to be president. He only won because he was up against Trump. I personally would never have voted for him if he wasn't running against Trump. And if he decides to run again, I certainly won't vote for him...

... unless he's up against Trump again.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I detect a double standard in the OP. Not that it matters, because it's true that Biden doesn't deserve to be president. He only won because he was up against Trump. I personally would never have voted for him if he wasn't running against Trump. And if he decides to run again, I certainly won't vote for him...

... unless he's up against Trump again.
I suspect that's why the Biden/ Harris ticket. Until late in the term the DNC didn't have a viable platform, and even afterwards it was weak (focusing on COVID). They ran on a smear campaign (and Trump was an extraordinary easy target due to his pride and inability to shut up).

It's interesting because not too long ago Trump was a DNC favorite for NY politics. He had support from the Clinton's and the NAACP but refrained from running.

I think if the DNC had a more developed platform we would have seen a stronger candidate. They do now, so it will be interesting.

I don't see the DNC winning an election with Biden or Harris on the ticket, unless Trump runs. If Trump runs I think they have it in the bag.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He suffered a brain aneurysm during the 1988 campaign. Symptoms might have been affecting him before diagnosis.
His good partnership with President Obama for 8 years pretty much makes up for a verbal gaffe or two in 2008.
He may not have been the most gifted law student but he graduated. I give him high scores on emotional intelligence.
Should Kanye West be given the same courtesy for a gaffe or two about Jewish people?

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What was his issue while in College? Remember he has used plagiarism since before he graduated at the bottom of his class.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What was his issue while in College? Remember he has used plagiarism since before he graduated at the bottom o,f his class.
"A paper" as in "one."
TBT, that probably isn't so unusual.
I never plagarized a paper but in high school i would copy my high school friend's physics homework. She loved physic; i loathed it.
My husband went to college at night while working full time. I wrote a few papers for him when he was time crunched.
I admit my imperfections. Never cheated on a test. I don't think it is an indicationof my character decades later.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yup, Biden was a weak candidate. Yet he still beat Trump, both in the electoral college and the popular vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"A paper" as in "one."
I never plagarized a paper but in high school i would copy my high school friend's physics homework. She loved physic; i loathed it.
My husband went to college at night while working full time. I wrote a few papers for him when he was time crunched.
I admit my imperfections. Never cheated on a test. I don't think it is an indicationof my character decades later.
I think the issue with plagiarism was during a previous run for President. I agree that college shouldn't define the man. He was just caught in too many lies during his first two runs.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"A paper" as in "one."

He was in College studying law - it was the first time he plagiarized, but not the last time. His plagiarism cost him his chance to become President in the 1980's.

Here is Joe bold face lying about scholarships and class standing.

User Clip: Joe Biden Lies About His College & High School Record | C-SPAN.org

• Agree
Reactions: John Caldwell
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"A paper" as in "one."
One paper means that was the time he got caught and even cheating didn't move him out of the bottom of his class but I couldn't care less about what he did in college.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Be honest. Have you ever ignored decades-old transgressions with a candidate you preferred?
I try to be consistent. Where the transgressions are in the past i tend to forgive.
If it indicates a disturbing and even escalating dishonesty, it matters.
Even MLK had a college plagiarizing scandal but his moral and civil rights leadership showed it wasn't who he really was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Be honest. Have you ever ignored decades-old transgressions with a candidate you preferred?
I try to be consistent. Where the transgressions are in the past i tend to forgive.
Even MLK had a college plagiarizing scandal but his moral and civil rights leadership showed it wasn't who he really was.

Yes, but now we have biden acting as our president, with the past year and a half proving him to be far worse than his track record exposed him as.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's Biden's performance since taking office that really concerns me much more than his past

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

His current performance is a mirror image of his past. Nothing has changed, just has become exacerbated.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am beginning to feel like we reside in parallel universes again.
There have been significant legislative achievements.
He has struggled with global inflation.
He is fighting a war to save democracy, faced an insurrection and domestic terrorism. Putin has been an aggressor in Ukraine and is threatening nuclear war.
I wonder if Republicans would have done better. (Well i actually don't. Contemplating it makes me ill.)
Clinton and Eisenhower led in easy times. It was easy to look good.
The president with the most challenges iny lifetime (and i was a baby) was Truman.
So much integrity and goodness, and faced with the horrible choice that ended WWII.
No wonder why he's rated #6.
Thinking of Truman's challenges always remind me that character is most important regardless of party.

Upvote 0