Quote on racism: Agree/Disagree and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dunno, no taxes, (federal, state, local including excise and fuel taxes), for, oh, say 100 years? It would be like their fellow Americans are carrying them (for a change), and getting ahead by being able to save the 35% that they’ve been paying to live here. America owes them, it’s time to pay.
What about mixed races? What reparations do they get?

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
20% is rare ???

Also ... those 20% hold 77% of the nation's wealth.

From ... Six facts about wealth in the United States

"The share of wealth in the economy is increasingly owned by families in the top of the income distribution. The top 20 percent held 77 percent of total household wealth in 2016, more than triple what the middle class held, defined as the middle 60 percent of the usual income distribution."
Would it be better if the wealth distribution was the top 20% owned 20% of the wealth if everyone (to include the poor) were making considerably less than they are now?

My point is that "The rich getting richer" doesn't mean the poor is getting poorer. Usually the poor is getting richer as well. I see it as 20% are responsible for 77% of the nation's productivity.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you really want to argue that an individual cannot separate himself from his original ethnic group? That would invalidate the concept of the Church. It would mean that you must judge an individual along with his ethnic group.

The concept of the Church has zero to do with judging ethnic groups. If one is to assess guilt one must only judge individuals as only individual human beings have an objective existence and the power to act. Groups are subjectively arrived at divisions within the human race created by humans to both include and exclude not actual objective entities. They only exist within our minds. The concept of collective guilt must therefore be extended to all humanity so the crimes of the NAZIs and Bolsheviks would have to be attributed to all mankind not just the ones we consider to be German or Russian. The guilt for the crimes of the NAZIs and Bolsheviks must be attributed to each individual that committed those crimes not to every individual that has been placed into a artificial category called ethnicity.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's nothing more racist than targeting an entire ethnic group with a collective crime regardless of the innocence or guilt of its individuals.

~ Jordan Peterson (Canadian Clinical Psychologist)
Thoughts? Please address the statement above.

There is one race .... the human race .... grouping/categorizing people is racist and mankind has done and does this constantly.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would it be better if the wealth distribution was the top 20% owned 20% of the wealth if everyone (to include the poor) were making considerably less than they are now?

My point is that "The rich getting richer" doesn't mean the poor is getting poorer. Usually the poor is getting richer as well. I see it as 20% are responsible for 77% of the nation's productivity.
That would seem to be at odds with the statistics that say "small business" is the main driver of the American economy.

From ... Small Businesses Generate 44 Percent of U.S. Economic Activity

"WASHINGTON, D.C. – Small businesses are the lifeblood of the U.S. economy: they create two-thirds of net new jobs and drive U.S. innovation and competitiveness. A new report shows that they account for 44 percent of U.S. economic activity. This is a significant contribution, however this overall share has declined gradually."

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing more racist than targeting an entire ethnic group with a collective crime regardless of the innocence or guilt of its individuals.

In addition to what has been said before, it likely also needs to be said ...

Noone is blaming all white people for the sins of their fathers ... or uncles ... or whatnot.

What is being recognized is the role of European expansion and maintenance of the ensuing power and economic structure ... to put it simply.

It is also recognized (by some) ... that there is a responsibility to compensate for the possession of "ill-gotten" goods.

And once again ... it is just that some people are talking, and perhaps, writing about these issues. Not much at all is being done in terms of actually compensating the descendants of those who suffered in the course of European hegemony.

I, honestly, don't see what all of the hand-wringing is about ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not talking about millionaires. Talking about Uncle Frank, who was just well off enough to lend his nephew a few thousand dollars to get a small business going. Or the equity of the house that Joe's father bought with his VA loan in 1948 and had paid off by 1968, then passed to Joe.
I agree; if the family has money, the children grow up to have more of an advantage than those without money, and due to racism, most black families of the past did not have money; so that effect can trickle down to today. But this trickle IMO is not the result of the vast disparity in wealth between blacks and whites so to fix the problem of today, we need to find out what IS most responsible and work to fix that.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Collective discrimination based on immutable traits simply needs to end. I do now wonder if we somehow are naturally predisposed to adhering to collectivist ideology versus individualism, or is it all "learned"/environmental.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
By the end of WWII, Germany was almost wholly ethnic Germans and Japan was almost wholly ethnic Japanese. That was one of the things they made happen up to and through the war.
But there were also a lot of Germans and Japanese living outside of Germany and Japan. To go after an entire ethnicity would be to go after those as well, not just those living in their perspective countries.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is one opinion ...
In addition to what has been said before, it likely also needs to be said ...

Noone is blaming all white people for the sins of their fathers ... or uncles ... or whomever.

What is being recognized is the role of European expansion and maintenance of the ensuing power and economic structure ... to put it simply.

It is also recognized (by some) ... that their is a responsibility to compensate for the possession of "ill-gotten" goods.

Once again ... it is just that some people are talking, and perhaps, writing about these issues. Not much at all is being done in terms of actually compensating the descendants of those who suffered in the course of European hegemony.

I, honestly, don't see what all of the whining is about ...

I don't see what all the whining is about either. We are all descendants of people who suffered from the actions of others so why does one consider it proper only to whine about the actions that one set of particular ancestors suffered from ?

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would seem to be at odds with the statistics that say "small business" is the main driver of the American economy.

From ... Small Businesses Generate 44 Percent of U.S. Economic Activity

"WASHINGTON, D.C. – Small businesses are the lifeblood of the U.S. economy: they create two-thirds of net new jobs and drive U.S. innovation and competitiveness. A new report shows that they account for 44 percent of U.S. economic activity. This is a significant contribution, however this overall share has declined gradually."
How many of those small business use Facebook to advertise or Amazon to deliver their products? The fact is that the reason why 20% owns 77% of the wealth is because:
1.) the 20 percent produced goods and services more people are willing to pay more money for. Take a look at the price of an Apple smart phone today compared to 10 years ago. Do people need a new $1100 smart phone every other year? So why do people do it for Apple and not for a large pizza from the local pizzeria?
2.) the 20 invested their money wisely.

The bottom line is simple. The reason why 20% owns 77% of the wealth is because the 20% had done what the 80% cannot do or has not done yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
All white people?
No there are very considerate white people who since the civil rights era have strived for equality. Whites were beaten and had the dogs on them right next to black people and many still strive for equality.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If we cut to the chase and look directly at African Americans, there is an argument that the state has in the past through its actions and inactions been the cause of serious disadvantage, discrimination and maltreatment of the African American population. This mistreatment has existed in the past with carryover effects and continues, to a lesser extent, to exist in the present.

This mistreatment has been mainly carried out by and for the benefit of the majority white population with the support of the state.
When I look at the poor condition of the Southern States compared to the others, I am not convinced slavery in the US benefited most white people; it only benefited the few who owned slaves. I also don’t believe past discrimination against blacks helped whites, it hurt them. I believe it was Booker T who said “You can keep a man down only if you are willing to stay down with him” I agree with him; the US was being held down by preventing blacks from contributing to the economy. IOW I believe white people were caused more harm than benefit by discriminating against black people in the past.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a hard time imagining an entire ethnic group being responsible. Surely there would be individuals who would not participate.
Societal pressure. There are a few of us who do not bow down to baal. Doesn't mean the tyranny should continue.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
20% is rare ???

Also ... those 20% hold 77% of the nation's wealth.

From ... Six facts about wealth in the United States

"The share of wealth in the economy is increasingly owned by families in the top of the income distribution. The top 20 percent held 77 percent of total household wealth in 2016, more than triple what the middle class held, defined as the middle 60 percent of the usual income distribution."
The 20% represents the percentage of wealthy who inherited their wealth, not all wealthy people. Your link is about all wealthy people, not just the 20% of wealthy.

So the richest owning 70% of the nations wealth; do you consider this to be a bad thing? If so, why?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.