Richmond, VA
✟16,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I have a question, and I know the best way to get an answer would be to talk to a local priest (I'll do that soon). But I wanted to ask in general. The reason I ask is because I am seriously considering attending an Orthodox church and possibly becoming a catechumen. Though nothing is guaranteed with me. I'll spare you the personal details as to why.

So I was wondering. How do churches accommodate potential converts whose work schedules conflict with their class attendance? I ask because I understand some parishes may require at least six months of classes. What about if their work schedule prevents them from regularly attending, for example, services on Sunday (but they can make it to vespers)?

I'm just wondering what you all have seen people do, or if there is something that usually happens.

I understand there is so much more to life than work and money, but you know how it goes with those of us who are in debt, or people who have to work several jobs to scrape by.

Thanks in advance for reading this and responding to me. I hope that I'm easy to understand and that I didn't come off as disrespectful.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm just wondering what you all have seen people do, or if there is something that usually happens.
It may vary, but in my experience, classes weren't what you'd call mandatory. They're there for people who want/need to learn.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I have a question, and I know the best way to get an answer would be to talk to a local priest (I'll do that soon). But I wanted to ask in general. The reason I ask is because I am seriously considering attending an Orthodox church and possibly becoming a catechumen. Though nothing is guaranteed with me. I'll spare you the personal details as to why.

So I was wondering. How do churches accommodate potential converts whose work schedules conflict with their class attendance? I ask because I understand some parishes may require at least six months of classes. What about if their work schedule prevents them from regularly attending, for example, services on Sunday (but they can make it to vespers)?

I understand there is so much more to life than work and money, but you know how it goes with those of us who are in debt, or people who have to work several jobs to scrape by.

Thanks in advance for reading this and responding to me. I hope that I'm easy to understand and that I didn't come off as disrespectful.
Hello and welcome to CF and to TAW!

Most priests are very accommodating as much as they can be regarding catechesis. Our priest once had the regular class, then met with a family that couldn't come in their home at a time more convenient for them. It will of course depend on the priest's schedule and getting done all he has to do (they are often VERY busy) ... but most that I've seen are very pleased to accommodate a catechumen.

But with that said, there's no formal outline of what it has to look like. Some have to be catechized mostly via email. And so on.

Experiencing the Liturgy is important, but that's something he can work with you about also.

I wouldn't worry right off the bat. I think it's much more likely that the priest will be happy to help you. I'm not sure how much of a hurry you might be in, but most priests are not about pushing people to be received quickly. Generally the attitude in Orthodoxy is "it takes as long as it takes". And everything is part of forming us, so that's not seen as a problem.

Again, welcome to CF, and to TAW. :)

• Agree
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I can’t speak for others, but I was in a very similar situation. I work different shifts, long days, and on average every second weekend. Attending anything at the same time each week, even Church, is just not happening. My priest is very understanding, met with me privately several times during my catechumenate, and had me watch some online videos and do some readings. He then questioned me about my knowledge of the Orthodox faith by writing a piece on my understanding, prior to bringing me into the Church. He makes allowances for my being unable to attend every Sunday service, though encourages me to come when I can and to attend weekday services if any are happening when I am free.

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟215,668.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am presently a catechumen. I imagine that things will vary with your priest, but I will share my experience so far. I live very far from the nearest parish, so regular attendance is difficult for me. I came to vespers and liturgy a couple of times and talked to my priest about my desire to become Orthodox. He asked me some questions about why I wanted to become Orthodox, where I was coming from, and what I knew of Orthodoxy. Becoming a catechumen didn't take long. Becoming truly Orthodox will likely take me my whole life. There have been no formal classes with my priest. His main concern is for me to follow and live the Orthodox liturgical life. He has suggested some reading, and we have talked about various things. With being so far away, I at present try to be there at least once a month, and he has encouraged me to do a readers service when I am unable to attend. Really I would just encourage you to go and see. And if you are blessed with more than one Orthodox Church in your area, check them all out. I have only been to one other Orthodox Church, that is even further away, but I definitely connect in a deeper way with my priest and the people in my present parish.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are not the first [potential] convert with a demanding work schedule. There is always a way to make it work. Some of us converted while active duty military and missed quite a few Sundays. The Church will work with you.

Upvote 0