✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Beauty, what did you end up doing?
My friend did not come. I I called him and then another friend got on the phone with him and told him what was going on. I felt really bad about it but I think it would have been worse if he had come and my mother would have said something really ugly and mean to him. Its awful that things are like this.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The bible says to honor your mother and father. It also says thou shalt not lie. What if your mother tells you to lie?
Personally, Im not down with that. Yes, I have lied before, but that is not by any means a reason to do it again! That's just twisted logic. Well, you've done wrong in this regard before, what's once more?....ummm...no. Even if you have committed the same grievous, the same sin thousands of times you can still repent.
Edit: by the above statement I did not mean commit the same sin over and over, ask forgiveness but Not change your behavior, and do it over and over some more. True repentanence involves change. :)

The point of honoring them, is to honor God. But if honoring their wishes cause you to not honor God, then its going against commandment. God must always be first. Just let them know in an honorable manner, that that's lying and it would be going against God's commands.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The bible says to honor your mother and father. It also says thou shalt not lie. What if your mother tells you to lie?
Personally, Im not down with that. Yes, I have lied before, but that is not by any means a reason to do it again! That's just twisted logic. Well, you've done wrong in this regard before, what's once more?....ummm...no. Even if you have committed the same grievous, the same sin thousands of times you can still repent.
Edit: by the above statement I did not mean commit the same sin over and over, ask forgiveness but Not change your behavior, and do it over and over some more. True repentanence involves change. :)
Acts 5:29 should be our guide when there is a conflict between Mom and God, or between man's laws and God's laws, or anything else that is in conflict with the correct dividing (2 Timothy 2:15) and correct interpretation of the Word of God.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the future, if your mother can not be trusted to contain herself around your invited guests, I would uninvite her from coming and have a separate get together for her if she wishes like the next day or something .
That would make things worse. She would say I am choosing my friends over her. And she has already told me before "I will not be second to anyone"
Well....God is first so...

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,435.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
You should really read up on boundaries and try to implement them. She is manipulating you emotionally. If she can't behave herself and act like a grownup around your company (or your children), then you don't have to include her. Or you can tell her that you would love for her to be there, but if she acts rude- she will be asked to leave b/c you don't want your children to see that. She shouldn't be allowed to isolate you from company in your own home. JMHO.

• Agree
Reactions: ValleyGal
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
My friend did not come. I I called him and then another friend got on the phone with him and told him what was going on. I felt really bad about it but I think it would have been worse if he had come and my mother would have said something really ugly and mean to him. Its awful that things are like this.
I'm sorry it turned out that way. He was probably very hurt and disappointed. Just because this situation worked itself out, please don't leave the underlying issue alone. Things like this will continue to happen unless your mom and you both learn how to have an adult parent/child relationship.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did you lie?

Upvote 0

Deniea

Nov 24, 2017
Varna
✟1,954.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just keep all the ten commandments and you will be fine.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Beautyinstead. Our parents we cannot choose, but we must still honour them. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Jesus told us in Matthew 22: 35-40: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we are told: on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God is Love, and God Loves us all, who want to be loved. That is straightforward, and easy to remember.
The Bible tells us: Give up all our selfish and unloving thoughts and wishes, ask God for Love, then thank God and share all love and compassion, and joy and peace, with all we know and all we meet. That is easy to know and easy to remember. ( Matthew 7: 7-10) We ask and receive, ask God and thank God, then share all love and compassion, and joy and peace, with all around us. Love is very catching, and love will always abide with us, if we ASK. Jesus died that we might live, we follow our Saviour back to God, our Heavenly Father. Love is very catching, and love will surround us. What could please God more??? Try it and feel the difference. I say this with love and send greetings. From Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry it turned out that way. He was probably very hurt and disappointed. Just because this situation worked itself out, please don't leave the underlying issue alone. Things like this will continue to happen unless your mom and you both learn how to have an adult parent/child relationship.
Well, these type of situations are kind of hard to avoid for the simple reason of...I just never know what is going to make my mom flip. I thought I was being a kind person inviting my friend. And i had no idea my mom would react the way she did. Completely flipped out.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
She wanted me to lie to my friend and tell him I would not be home for thanksgiving so he could not come after all. She said this because she does not like him. But she has never met or spoke to him.
Really, the first problem here is not that your mother wants you to lie. The big problem is that she wants to control who you see in your own home! That is kind of outrageous. She really needs to learn to respect your rights as an adult.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. And come to think of it, the lying is not the 2nd biggest problem either. There is a serious problem with her showing antipathy to another person who has done her no harm, even one she has never even met! She needs to show love and compassion rather than promoting a scenario that creates lying to help her stay in her "comfort" zone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Really, the first problem here is not that your mother wants you to lie. The big problem is that she wants to control who you see in your own home! That is kind of outrageous. She really needs to learn to respect your rights as an adult.
She feels like I have disrespected her. She says I should have known how this would hurt her feelings. Says I have no consideration for anyone's feelings and i am putting my friend before my children.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Once a parent always a parent, I guess.
Some parents do an amazing job of changing role from parent to friend and confidant. Others never seem to manage this.
...:(
I suppose so. Bit there is a difference between caring parental guidance and being controlling. Attempting to control at least, I usually do not listen because her demands are usually unreasonable. Like telling me lie to my friend because she did not want his "kind" around. Or yelling "take down those curtains NOW!! I don't like them!" (talking about my curtains in my home). Oh the list goes on.

Upvote 0

Neari

Neari
Feb 9, 2017
Earth
✟20,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I remember when I got in a car accident where no one was hurt, my dad wanted me to lie about this bruise I had (from gym class) and say it was from the car accident, so he could sue the others for money. At the time, I wasn't really a Christian, but I still had morals so I said, 'No, I don't want to..' Then my Dad got all passive aggressive, which really upsets me, but in the end I did not lie about the bruise.

Upvote 0