Results are only viewable after voting.

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Satan is bound during the figurative 1000 years (perfect amount of time between Jesus ascension and return)? Really? What does it actually say he is bound in regards to...?
Concluding that we can't be in the millennium because there is evil in the world is stretching what the verse says. Please take care that you do not make it say more than it does!

If the matter was not so serious, the above comments would be hilarious.
To understand what Satan is bound "in regards to" is to firstly believe that Satan is the Adversary of God and the primary source of evil in the world. So if Satan is bound, it follows that all his evil spirits are also bound, and sin and evil cannot exhibit themselves on this earth. If you believe that it is "stretching it" to attribute evil to Satan (Rev 12:9;13:1-18), then it simply means that you reject the testimony of God and Christ against Satan.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi. I have been reading the different viewpoints of different denomination, including the Orthdox, Roman church and mainstream Protestantism.
I have but one question. Does JESUS return Before or After the 1000yr period. I have looked at amillennialism and chiliasm both of which makes no Scriptural sense. Let the poll begin.

Rev 19 is the 2nd coming and it happens before the 1000 years of Rev 20.

Rev 20 says that between the resurrection of the 2nd coming and that of the wicked - there is 1000 years.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Satan is bound during the figurative 1000 years (perfect amount of time between Jesus ascension and return)? Really? What does it actually say he is bound in regards to...?

Concluding that we can't be in the millennium because there is evil in the world is stretching what the verse says. Please take care that you do not make it say more than it does!

Satan is bound for 1000 years starting with the Rev 19 second coming event perfectly described by John.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Where do you get the idea that the millennium is supposed to be heaven on earth? Revelation never says that the time of Jesus' reign would be a time of peace. Satan is bound, but that does not mean there is no sin. Sin will be here until the new heaven and the new earth, that's a fact. So how could the thousand year reign possibly be free of sin?

At the 2nd coming all the saints are taken to haven -- see 1Thess 4 and 2Thess 2.

At the 2nd coming all the wicked are slain - see Rev 19.

At the second coming the righteous saints are resurrected and taken to heaven along with the living saints - see Rev 20:4-5 and 1Thess 4.

As the 2nd coming the earth is desolated - and Satan and his angels are left here on an earth with no humans to tempt or annoy. See

[FONT=&quot]Rev 19[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
20 And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.
21 And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Ez 32:4-8
4 ""I will leave you on the land; I will cast you on the open field. And I will cause all the birds of the heavens to dwell on you, And I will satisfy the beasts of the whole earth with you.
5 ""I will lay your flesh on the mountains And fill the valleys with your refuse.
6 ""I will also make the land drink the discharge of your blood As far as the mountains, And the ravines will be full of you.
7 ""And when I extinguish you, I will cover the heavens and darken their stars; I will cover the sun with a cloud And the moon will not give its light.
8 ""All the shining lights in the heavens I will darken over you And will set darkness on your land,'' Declares the Lord GOD.

Jer 4:23

I looked on the earth, and behold, it was formless and void; And to the heavens, and they had no light.
24 I looked on the mountains, and behold, they were quaking, And all the hills moved to and fro.
25 I looked, and behold, there was no man, And all the birds of the heavens had fled.

26 I looked, and behold, the fruitful land was a wilderness, And all its cities were pulled down Before the LORD, before His fierce anger.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Jer 25:33[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ""Those slain by the LORD on that day will be from one end of the earth to the other. They will not be lamented, gathered or buried; they will be like dung on the face of the ground.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]] Zeph 1:18[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Neither their silver nor their gold Will be able to deliver them On the day of the LORD'S wrath; And all the earth will be devoured In the fire of His jealousy, For He will make a complete end, Indeed a terrifying one, Of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Isaiah 24
1 Behold, the LORD lays the earth waste, devastates it, distorts its surface and scatters its inhabitants.
2 And the people will be like the priest, the servant like his master, the maid like her mistress, the buyer like the seller, the lender like the borrower, the creditor like the debtor.
3 The earth will be completely laid waste and completely despoiled, [/quote]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is obviously a World Wide Calamity – World Wide catastrophe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Isaiah 24[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17 Terror and pit and snare Confront you, O inhabitant of the earth.
18 Then it will be that he who flees the report of disaster will fall into the pit, And he who climbs out of the pit will be caught in the snare; For the windows above are opened, and the foundations of the earth shake.
19 The earth is broken asunder, The earth is split through, The earth is shaken violently.
20 The earth reels to and fro like a drunkard And it totters like a shack, For its transgression is heavy upon it, And it will fall, never to rise again.
21 So it will happen in that day, That the LORD will punish the host of heaven on high, And the kings of the earth on earth[/FONT]

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do you get the idea that it isn't supposed to be? And on what authority do you dismiss Isaiah's prophecies as "fantasy"?

If that's the case, you could dismiss all of Scripture as fantasy. After all, how could God possibly be fully Man and fully God at the same time? How could God take the sins of the world upon Himself and yet remain God? Science fiction? Or cunningly devised fables? Is that your position, since theological liberals believe that?

I don't dismiss Isaiah's prophecies as fantasy. I don't dismiss any scripture as fantasy. It's all true. What I dismiss is your linking of unrelated scriptures.

Isaiah never spoke of Christ's thousand year reign, and the thousand year reign in Revelation 20 was not a reference to Isaiah's prophecies.

There is not a single passage that states "the thousand year reign is on earth", but the Bible clearly states when Christ's reign began and when it ends.

It began after his resurrection.

Matthew 28:18
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

It ends when death is destroyed on judgment day.

1 Corinthians 15:23-26
23But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. 24Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the 2nd coming all the saints are taken to haven -- see 1Thess 4 and 2Thess 2.

At the 2nd coming all the wicked are slain - see Rev 19.

At the second coming the righteous saints are resurrected and taken to heaven along with the living saints - see Rev 20:4-5 and 1Thess 4.

As the 2nd coming the earth is desolated - and Satan and his angels are left here on an earth with no humans to tempt or annoy. See

[FONT=&quot]It is obviously a World Wide Calamity – World Wide catastrophe[/FONT]

So, I repeat, where does it say that the thousand year reign will be heaven on earth?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To understand what Satan is bound "in regards to" is to firstly believe that Satan is the Adversary of God and the primary source of evil in the world. So if Satan is bound, it follows that all his evil spirits are also bound, and sin and evil cannot exhibit themselves on this earth. If you believe that it is "stretching it" to attribute evil to Satan (Rev 12:9;13:1-18), then it simply means that you reject the testimony of God and Christ against Satan.

The following verses show that the evil angels are bound now in some respect.

A mean dog can still harm us, even when it is on a chain, if we choose to get within it's reach.

2Pe_2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Jud_1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Rev_9:14 Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates.

Rev 11:7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 9:1
Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

If Jesus and the disciples have power over all devils, then the devils are bound. They are bound in the sense that they are no longer in charge down here. We are in charge now because we have dominion over them in Christ. That was the whole point of the crucifixion. If Jesus would've been unable to give us authority over Satan after the crucifixion then it would've been all for nothing.

The problem is that we tend to think in physical terms, yet all this is regarding a spiritual world. Spiritual creatures are not bound in physical chains. They are bound in other ways. To say that Satan is bound or thrown into a pit is symbolic language to help us understand a (spiritual) world in which we don't live. It's not literal language.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Dude, read your bible. What is Satan specifically bound in regards to? At one point Revelation warns us that Satan is a beast trying to destroy us, at another point he's bound but in regards to some very specific actions. What are those actions?

He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended.

I think Satan is both Rev 12 and 13 and 20 all at once! Remember, John wanted his generation to OBEY this message! Here we see an image of Satan being bound from deceiving the nations! Rather than whole nations being judged as in the Old Testament, the gospel is now breaking out of Israel into the whole world. This is a major point of biblical theology (how the OT and NT relate to each other). This is a major event in Acts. The gospel is going out to fulfil the Great Commission, and even though Satan is a monster trying to destroy us (Rev 12 and 13) at least, in this image, we are comforted by God that martyred Saints are in heaven, and that the gospel charges forth into all nations. What's the picture of the heavenly city? That people from all tribes and languages and nations will fill it.

This reading of Rev 20 fits with John's insistence that his generation obey it, fits with John describing himself as being in the tribulation with them (Rev 1), fits with the overall thrust of the gospel promise out to all the nations (Acts 1:8) and fits with our gospel work and the Great Commission.

Making this an arbitrary future history timeline actually removes its relevance to my life and makes me kinda "millennium shmillennium" about it. It becomes an arbitrary, theology-less, rather meaningless timetable to obsess over. Mwha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John the Baptist was not Elijah.

Mat 17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.
Mat 17:13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Upvote 0