USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here in lies the problem. You are defending Mrs. White's so called visions and you haven't read her books. I have read everyone of them. Been in SDA schools, grammar school, high school, and Loma Linda. If it were not for Mrs. Whites dreams, the SDA would'nt have jumped onto the Saturday sabbath, dietary restrictions and all the other rules they came up with. Mrs. Whites dreams are founding motivation for the establishment of the SDA church. Read her books with an open mind and you will get your eyes opened. A few of her dreams do not line up with orthodox Christian beliefs.
Ellen said all scripture must be tested against God’s Word. You really don’t need to attack every SDA on here. I love keeping God’s Sabbath and I get my doctrine from the Word of God, His Holy Bible. I’m not going to debate you because its not fruitful. I wish you well. God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If it were not for Mrs. Whites dreams, the SDA would'nt have jumped onto the Saturday sabbath, dietary restrictions and all the other rules they came up with. Mrs. Whites dreams are founding motivation for the establishment of the SDA church. Read her books with an open mind and you will get your eyes opened. A few of her dreams do not line up with orthodox Christian beliefs.
That statement is just simply has no truth in it. I have not read everyone of her books. I spend my time in the bible yet I can prove to you from scripture in both the old and new testament that everything that has been shared with you here is indeed biblical and true. What is it you want to discuss with me from the scriptures?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That statement is just simply has no truth in it. I have not read everyone of her books. I spend my time in the bible yet I can prove to you from scripture in both the old and new testament that everything you have mentioned here is indeed biblical and true. What is it you want to discuss with me?

Please start by doing a study of the history of the SDA church. Why was Mrs. White's books required reading in the Adventist schools?
You say my statement has no truth, then you are misinformed regarding how the SDA church started, it started based on her dreams.
What books of hers have your read?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Please start by doing a study of the history of the SDA church. Why was Mrs. White's books required reading in the Adventist schools?
You say my statement has no truth, then you are misinformed regarding how the SDA church started, it started based on her dreams.
What books of hers have your read?
Sorry we agree to disagree. The SDA Church was never started from her dreams.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Dear The Liturgist

I know you posted two months ago already, but I want to comment anyway. I had a complete list of all the accusations made against her writings with all the answers that explained those apparent contradictions and I've been looking for it, but I can't find it. I wanted to give it to you. :disappointed:

Besides that list, there was one other thing that helped me to believe that she was inspired by God. When I was 10 years old I had a dream. I dreamt that I was walking with my school teacher towards a famous park which everyone was talking about. We wanted to see it too. The park had a very high white wall all around it, and a large entrance gate, with two guards who greeted us. They said, "You may only enter if you drink this cup". So they handed us each a white cup. As I looked inside my cup I frowned because there was a tiny dead lamb floating in water. I looked at the park through the gates and saw people walking in there and it looked so amazing. I really wanted to be in that park, so I thought, "Let me just take a tiny sip, maybe it's not so bad." When I tasted the water, I was surprised, because it tasted very bitter.

For years I wondered why it tasted bitter. The rest of the dream I could understand: that we need to accept Jesus who died for us into our being to enter heaven, but the bitterness I just couldn't understand. 13 years later, I was going through a personal struggle about Ellen White. I was reading her books and I loved what I read. It made me feel closer to God, but I was confused because I wanted to know for sure that she was inspired by God. I was reading one chapter per day, from Patriarchs and Prophets, and I had just finished reading chapter 23. This question about her being inspired was pressing on me that night, so I went and sat outside under the stars and prayed about it. Then suddenly, as I was talking to God, the dream I had when I was 10 years old popped into my head. I smiled and said to God, "I remember that dream, but I still don't know why the water tasted bitter."

The next morning I woke up and started reading chapter 24, The Passover. As I was reading I suddenly jumped up, all excited, because God had just interpreted the meaning of the bitterness in my dream which He reminded me of the night before, because He knew that I would find the answer in her book. If He hadn't reminded me of the dream I would have overlooked it. She wrote about what the Israelites had to do during the Passover:

"The lamb was to be prepared whole, not a bone of it being broken: so not a bone was to be broken of the Lamb of God, who was to die for us. John 19:36. Thus was also represented the completeness of Christ's sacrifice. PP 277.3

The flesh was to be eaten. It is not enough even that we believe on Christ for the forgiveness of sin; we must by faith be constantly receiving spiritual strength and nourishment from Him through His word. Said Christ, “Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, hath eternal life.” John 6:54, 54. And to explain His meaning He said, “The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” Verse 63. Jesus accepted His Father's law, wrought out its principles in His life, manifested its spirit, and showed its beneficent power in the heart. Says John, “The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” John 1:14. The followers of Christ must be partakers of His experience. They must receive and assimilate the word of God so that it shall become the motive power of life and action. By the power of Christ they must be changed into His likeness, and reflect the divine attributes. They must eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of God, or there is no life in them. The spirit and work of Christ must become the spirit and work of His disciples.

The lamb was to be eaten with bitter herbs, as pointing back to the bitterness of the bondage in Egypt. So when we feed upon Christ, it should be with contrition of heart, because of our sins.”

Since I personally asked God whether she was inspired by Him, and He brought the dream from 13 years ago to my remembrance so that I would find the interpretation of it in her book I was convinced that God inspired her writings. That, and of course that list that helped me to feel settled about all the accusations.

That is my personal testimony on this issue.

Welcome Love others, nice to meet you here and welcome to CF! Happy Sabbath :clap:

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dear The Liturgist

I know you posted two months ago already, but I want to comment anyway. I had a complete list of all the accusations made against her writings with all the answers that explained those apparent contradictions and I've been looking for it, but I can't find it. I wanted to give it to you. :disappointed:

Besides that list, there was one other thing that helped me to believe that she was inspired by God. When I was 10 years old I had a dream. I dreamt that I was walking with my school teacher towards a famous park which everyone was talking about. We wanted to see it too. The park had a very high white wall all around it, and a large entrance gate, with two guards who greeted us. They said, "You may only enter if you drink this cup". So they handed us each a white cup. As I looked inside my cup I frowned because there was a tiny dead lamb floating in water. I looked at the park through the gates and saw people walking in there and it looked so amazing. I really wanted to be in that park, so I thought, "Let me just take a tiny sip, maybe it's not so bad." When I tasted the water, I was surprised, because it tasted very bitter.

For years I wondered why it tasted bitter. The rest of the dream I could understand: that we need to accept Jesus who died for us into our being to enter heaven, but the bitterness I just couldn't understand. 13 years later, I was going through a personal struggle about Ellen White. I was reading her books and I loved what I read. It made me feel closer to God, but I was confused because I wanted to know for sure that she was inspired by God. I was reading one chapter per day, from Patriarchs and Prophets, and I had just finished reading chapter 23. This question about her being inspired was pressing on me that night, so I went and sat outside under the stars and prayed about it. Then suddenly, as I was talking to God, the dream I had when I was 10 years old popped into my head. I smiled and said to God, "I remember that dream, but I still don't know why the water tasted bitter."

The next morning I woke up and started reading chapter 24, The Passover. As I was reading I suddenly jumped up, all excited, because God had just interpreted the meaning of the bitterness in my dream which He reminded me of the night before, because He knew that I would find the answer in her book. If He hadn't reminded me of the dream I would have overlooked it. She wrote about what the Israelites had to do during the Passover:

"The lamb was to be prepared whole, not a bone of it being broken: so not a bone was to be broken of the Lamb of God, who was to die for us. John 19:36. Thus was also represented the completeness of Christ's sacrifice. PP 277.3

The flesh was to be eaten. It is not enough even that we believe on Christ for the forgiveness of sin; we must by faith be constantly receiving spiritual strength and nourishment from Him through His word. Said Christ, “Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, hath eternal life.” John 6:54, 54. And to explain His meaning He said, “The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” Verse 63. Jesus accepted His Father's law, wrought out its principles in His life, manifested its spirit, and showed its beneficent power in the heart. Says John, “The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” John 1:14. The followers of Christ must be partakers of His experience. They must receive and assimilate the word of God so that it shall become the motive power of life and action. By the power of Christ they must be changed into His likeness, and reflect the divine attributes. They must eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of God, or there is no life in them. The spirit and work of Christ must become the spirit and work of His disciples.

The lamb was to be eaten with bitter herbs, as pointing back to the bitterness of the bondage in Egypt. So when we feed upon Christ, it should be with contrition of heart, because of our sins.”

Since I personally asked God whether she was inspired by Him, and He brought the dream from 13 years before to my remembrance so that I would find the interpretation of it in her book I was convinced that God inspired her writings. That, and of course that list that helped me to feel settled about all the accusations.

A problem with your story is mormons aka Latter Day Saints have similar stories to claim Joseph Smith is a prophet of God and that the Book of Mormon is God's Word or inspired.

Have you read the studies on Mrs White copying a lot of her writings from other people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Dear The Liturgist

Since I personally asked God whether she was inspired by Him, and He brought the dream from 13 years before to my remembrance so that I would find the interpretation of it in her book I was convinced that God inspired her writings. That, and of course that list that helped me to feel settled about all the accusations.

Welcome Love Others and Happy Sabbath! Thanks for sharing and hope the posters at CF offer you a warm welcome. God bless

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
A problem with your story is mormons aka Latter Day Saints have similar stories to claim Joseph Smith is a prophet of God and that the Book of Mormon is God's Word or inspired. Have you read the studies on Mrs White copying a lot of her writings from other people?

Your post is misleading trying to put the writings of EGW on the same level as Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon as the word of God. How much is a lot of her writing that were taken from others? You give the impression here that most of her work was taken from others. Is that true? What is it in her writings that you claim are not biblical and why? Let's talk scripture please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry we agree to disagree. The SDA Church was never started from her dreams.

What was this? What did Ellen say about it?

"
When October 23, 1844, dawned and the little group of Millerites huddled in Edson’s farm had managed to check the first outpouring of grief, Edson led the way to his barn. Here they gathered and spent the morning in prayer. After this season of prayer, Edson, accompanied by his friend Owen Crosier, decided to make a trip across his cornfield. They wanted to visit some of their Millerite neighbors and encourage them. As they were making their way across the field Edson stopped short and seemed to stare straight ahead. Puzzled, Crosier pulled to an abrupt stop behind him calling out “Brother Edson, what are you stopping for?”

To which Edson replied, “God is answering our morning prayer, giving light regarding our disappointment”. Edson later explained that as he was walking he felt as if a hand was laid on his shoulder and he seemed to have a vision of the heavenly sanctuary where he saw that Jesus had that very day entered into the Most Holy Place of the Heavenly Sanctuary to begin the work of judgment.

Crosier and Edson along with their friend and neighbor Franklin B. Hahn spent the next several weeks and months poring over their Bibles studying the themes of the sanctuary and judgment. In March of 1845, they published their findings in a small paper called “The Day Dawn”. Coriser, being a school teacher, wrote the article while Edson and his wife sold their best silverware to raise money to fund the publication and Hahn had the material published."
Hiram Edson: The Farmer In The Cornfield | Lineage

"Bates preached about the Sabbath and James White expounded Christ in the sanctuary. Two visions given to Ellen White resolved the differences so that the meeting ended in unity."
"
When they came to the point in their study where they said, “We can do nothing more,” the Spirit of
the Lord would come upon me, I would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had
been studying would be given me; with instruction as to how we were to labor and teach effectively. Thus
light was given that helped us to understand the scriptures in regard to Christ, His mission, and His
priesthood. A line of truth extending from that time to the time when we shall enter the city of God, was made
plain to me, and I gave to others the instruction that the Lord had given me” (1 Selected Messages, 206-207).
"
https://www.andrews.edu/~jmoon/Documents/GSEM_534/Class_outline/07.pdf

"a. Studied the Scriptures until they reached the limits of their ability to understand the available evidence. b. “When they came to the point in their study where they said, ‘We can do nothing more,’ the Spirit of the Lord would come upon [Ellen White, she] would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had been studying would be given” (1SM, 206-207)."

"Some Maine Sabbathkeepers in 1847-48 cited the KJV of Matt. 28:1 in support of beginning the Sabbath at sunrise, but a vision of Ellen White in 1848 refuted this."

"More comprehensive study disproved the interpretive assumptions. 6. Two persons reasoned that the church’s past practice had been blessed by God, hence must be correct. 7. Graciously, the Holy Spirit sent additional evidence in the form of a vision that confirmed the results of the comprehensive Bible study."

"3. There was a notable reason why she did not know how to refute his error. a. Later she wrote that “During this whole time I could not understand the reasoning of the brethren. My mind was locked, as it were, and I could not comprehend the meaning of the Scriptures we were studying. This was one of the greatest sorrows of my life. I was in this condition of mind until all the principal points of our faith were made clear to our minds, in harmony with the Word of God. The brethren knew that when not in vision, I could not understand these matters, and they accepted as light direct from heaven the revelations given. “For two or three years my mind continued to be locked to an understanding of the Scriptures. In the course of our labors, my husband and I visited Father Andrews [J. N. Andrews’ father], who was suffering intensely with inflammatory rheumatism. We prayed for him. I laid my hands on his head, and said, ‘Father Andrews, the Lord Jesus maketh thee whole.’ He was healed instantly. He got up, and walked about the room, praising God and saying, ‘I never saw it on this wise before. Angels of God are in this room.’ The glory of the Lord was revealed. Light seemed to shine all through the house, and an angel’s hand was laid upon my head. From that time to this I have been able to understand the Word of God” (1 SM 207, emphasis added). b. The healing of Father Andrews took place in D"

"While those around her were curiously documenting her outward behavior, she herself was “lost to earthly things.” When the vision was over and she again became aware of her surroundings, she told the group that her “accompanying angel” had explained “some of the errors of those present, and also the truth in contrast with their errors.”"

use find vision

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Dear The Liturgist

Thank you for sharing your testimony. Welcome to CF and Happy Sabbath!

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

"
When October 23, 1844, dawned and the little group of Millerites huddled in Edson’s farm had managed to check the first outpouring of grief, Edson led the way to his barn. Here they gathered and spent the morning in prayer. After this season of prayer, Edson, accompanied by his friend Owen Crosier, decided to make a trip across his cornfield. They wanted to visit some of their Millerite neighbors and encourage them. As they were making their way across the field Edson stopped short and seemed to stare straight ahead. Puzzled, Crosier pulled to an abrupt stop behind him calling out “Brother Edson, what are you stopping for?”

To which Edson replied, “God is answering our morning prayer, giving light regarding our disappointment”. Edson later explained that as he was walking he felt as if a hand was laid on his shoulder and he seemed to have a vision of the heavenly sanctuary where he saw that Jesus had that very day entered into the Most Holy Place of the Heavenly Sanctuary to begin the work of judgment.

Crosier and Edson along with their friend and neighbor Franklin B. Hahn spent the next several weeks and months poring over their Bibles studying the themes of the sanctuary and judgment. In March of 1845, they published their findings in a small paper called “The Day Dawn”. Coriser, being a school teacher, wrote the article while Edson and his wife sold their best silverware to raise money to fund the publication and Hahn had the material published."

"Bates preached about the Sabbath and James White expounded Christ in the sanctuary. Two visions given to Ellen White resolved the differences so that the meeting ended in unity."
"
When they came to the point in their study where they said, “We can do nothing more,” the Spirit of
the Lord would come upon me, I would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had
been studying would be given me; with instruction as to how we were to labor and teach effectively. Thus
light was given that helped us to understand the scriptures in regard to Christ, His mission, and His
priesthood. A line of truth extending from that time to the time when we shall enter the city of God, was made
plain to me, and I gave to others the instruction that the Lord had given me” (1 Selected Messages, 206-207).
"

"a. Studied the Scriptures until they reached the limits of their ability to understand the available evidence. b. “When they came to the point in their study where they said, ‘We can do nothing more,’ the Spirit of the Lord would come upon [Ellen White, she] would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had been studying would be given” (1SM, 206-207)."

"Some Maine Sabbathkeepers in 1847-48 cited the KJV of Matt. 28:1 in support of beginning the Sabbath at sunrise, but a vision of Ellen White in 1848 refuted this."

"More comprehensive study disproved the interpretive assumptions. 6. Two persons reasoned that the church’s past practice had been blessed by God, hence must be correct. 7. Graciously, the Holy Spirit sent additional evidence in the form of a vision that confirmed the results of the comprehensive Bible study."

"3. There was a notable reason why she did not know how to refute his error. a. Later she wrote that “During this whole time I could not understand the reasoning of the brethren. My mind was locked, as it were, and I could not comprehend the meaning of the Scriptures we were studying. This was one of the greatest sorrows of my life. I was in this condition of mind until all the principal points of our faith were made clear to our minds, in harmony with the Word of God. The brethren knew that when not in vision, I could not understand these matters, and they accepted as light direct from heaven the revelations given. “For two or three years my mind continued to be locked to an understanding of the Scriptures. In the course of our labors, my husband and I visited Father Andrews [J. N. Andrews’ father], who was suffering intensely with inflammatory rheumatism. We prayed for him. I laid my hands on his head, and said, ‘Father Andrews, the Lord Jesus maketh thee whole.’ He was healed instantly. He got up, and walked about the room, praising God and saying, ‘I never saw it on this wise before. Angels of God are in this room.’ The glory of the Lord was revealed. Light seemed to shine all through the house, and an angel’s hand was laid upon my head. From that time to this I have been able to understand the Word of God” (1 SM 207, emphasis added). b. The healing of Father Andrews took place in D"

"While those around her were curiously documenting her outward behavior, she herself was “lost to earthly things.” When the vision was over and she again became aware of her surroundings, she told the group that her “accompanying angel” had explained “some of the errors of those present, and also the truth in contrast with their errors.”"

use find vision
None of which are saying what your claiming here that the SDA Church was started because of the dreams of EGW right? You do know that the context to those quotes are from 1844 not 1863 when the SDA church was started right? Your spreading misinformation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

"

"
"

use find vision

The church didn't form until 1863. The church grew out of the Millerite movement, which was world-wide.

"While Ellen White strongly supported the move toward organization, it was James White who, throughout the controversies surrounding the proposed organization in the 1850s and early 1860s, appeared as the more vocal proponent of the need for organization. It appears that at that early date the church understood his wife’s role to be more advisory than definitive."—Encyclopedia of Seventh-Day Adventists

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.