Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
NOW, it is.

My own encounters with SDA representatives are not "hearsay." :sigh:
I think you misunderstood me, I did not say "hearsay" to your encounter with an SDA, I said, its hearsay if the SDA is misquoting the churches 28 fundamental beliefs that I already provided a link to.

The only fair way to evaluate a church is to look at their statement of belief. The SDA church has over 20 million members. Meeting one or two Adventists is not necessarily the reflection of the entire church. The same would apply to any church.

Again, we do not 'worship" any human, we follow Gods Word and His Word alone. You can believe what you wish, but it doesn't necessarily make it true.

I also find it interesting that the OP asked for SDA's to respond, but yet 90% of the responses are from non-SDA that has misinformation but seems to have deemed themselves experts on the SDA church. Seems like the OP is more interested in bashing the church than asking an honest question about the faith considering the likes on the posts that are non-members that posted incorrect information about SDA. If this makes you feel good, than I guess keep on going.

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All Seventh-day Adventist believe in the authority of the Bible above everything else. No one follows Ellen G White, we follow the Word of God, the Bible. Enjoying a book like Steps to Christ which magnify’s the Bible is not the same as following a human. We follow God. If anyone is really curious about what SDA’s believe in, its not a secret, you can find it on our official website. Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh Day Adventist Church God bless
I am sorry my friend I have worshipped with a lot of Adventist and still do. Many consider her writing as Scripture. What would surprise many though in and out of the Adventist Faith is that if God inspired her in her writings or some of her writings. The Inspired writings are Scripture, because they are inspired.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry my friend I have worshipped with a lot of Adventist and still do. Many consider her writing as Scripture. What would surprise many though in and out of the Adventist Faith is that if God inspired her in her writings or some of her writings. The Inspired writings are Scripture, because they are inspired.
I do not know any Adventists who views Ellen White as an authoritative over the Bible. Even Ellen White herself said not to do that. So if an individual has done so, it is not the reflection of the church. Her books are inspired and help magnify God's Word, but that does not mean we worship Ellen White, we worship God and God alone.

• Agree
Reactions: Enilorac
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not know any Adventists who views Ellen White as an authoritative over the Bible. Even Ellen White herself said not to do that. So if an individual has done so, it is not the reflection of the church. Her books are inspired and help magnify God's Word, but that does not mean we worship Ellen White, we worship God and God alone.
No where did the post you respond to say that Adventist worship Ellen White. However the Adventist do view her as a Prophet. If she was a Prophet then some if not all her writings are inspired. And if they are inspired by God they are Scripture, God's Word because God inspired them.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No where did the post you respond to say that Adventist worship Ellen White. However the Adventist do view her as a Prophet. If she was a Prophet then some if not all her writings are inspired. And if they are inspired by God they are Scripture, God's Word because God inspired them.
She referred to herself as a messenger. A point another poster was trying to make is that we "worship" Ellen White and not God and that is false information about SDA's. We worship God and God alone. Her writings magnify God's Word and yes inspired, but there is a huge difference between that and worshipping her like she is a god. That is a false premise about the SDA church. That is the point I am trying to make. Most people who bash Ellen have never read anything she has written expect probably a few words taken out of context from the internet.

If interested Steps to Christ is a great book and has brought many closer to God. I believe the book has sold over 60 million copies. I believe there is even a free download to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She referred to herself as a messenger. The point another poster was trying to make is that we "worship" Ellen White and not God and that is false information about SDA's. We worship God and God alone. Her writings magnify God's Word and yes inspired, but there is a huge difference between that and worshipping her like she is a god. That is a false premise about the SDA church. That is the point I am trying to make. Most people who bash Ellen have never read anything she has written expect probably a few words taken out of context from the internet.
I think the biggest issue most Adventist face is they believe all her writings are Inspired. She is one of or the most prolific women writer ever. Some 2.5 million words. To say that all she wrote was inspired is to claim infallibility, something the Popes claimed about themselves in the past, and even maybe now. Not that God can't use someone to that extreme or that someone's Faith through Christ can't be that strong....just sayin

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
An interesting observation..

What I find quite amazing is that when some people are confronted with scripture, they seek to run away to discuss anything that is unrelated to scripture taking comfort in the opinions of men in the hope of discrediting what has already been shared with them from the bible that they were not able to respond to.

JESUS SPOKE IN PARABLES AND THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES THOUGHT HE HAD A DEVIL

Some were told by the one who knows all things; Hearing you shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing you shall see, and not perceive: this was because those hearing made themselves a hardened heart that said "Lo this word is not for me who can hear it? I am rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing".

Traveling along the way those who would not hear fell into the ditch they call delusion that all fall into that kick against the pricks because they lost their mirror that shows the way when the path is dark and narrow.

Their lamp was a guide to them but they did not have enough oil. Their lamp then went out and now they sit in darkness falling into the ditch they cannot find their way out.

Some travelers in the way walked by and saw some of these sitting in darkness who lost their way and offered them some oil for their lamps but they being proud would not accept the gift and did not want to receive any help choosing instead to make their home in the ditch which the Lord of the way gave them over to because they loved darkness rather then the light because their deeds were evil.

Tick tock goes the watch the time for grace is running out. Who will hear the call to go out and meet the bridegroom? Only those that have their lamps trimmed and full of oil and who have not lost their mirror that shows them the way when the road is dark and narrow.

We should not be afraid in coming to Gods' Word dear friends. As it is only in the Word of God we have life. His Word is a lamp unto our path and a light unto our way *Psalms 119:105 and how can we know the way when the gate to the way and the road is dark and narrow?

May God bless you all as you seek Him through his Word

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Enilorac
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, Ellen White held that one's salvation is dependent upon which day of the week one attends church. She was also very much into her own version of the dietary law, but did not quite go to the extremes of vegetarianism that many of her followers have.

Counsels for the Church, p. 264.4 (Ellen Gould White)
It means eternal salvation to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord. God says: “Them that honor Me I will honor.” 1 Samuel 2:30.

• Informative
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think the biggest issue most Adventist face is they believe all her writings are Inspired. She is one of or the most prolific women writer ever. Some 2.5 million words. To say that all she wrote was inspired is to claim infallibility, something the Popes claimed about themselves in the past, and even maybe now. Not that God can't use someone to that extreme or that someone's Faith through Christ can't be that strong....just sayin
The SDA church teaches nothing is above Biblical scriptures. It’s in our 28 fundamental beliefs. Ellen White herself told us this. Like in any denomination, you will have individuals who take things to an extreme. You can not control what people do, so looking at the Statement of Belief is what the church says it stands for. It’s common knowledge SDA’s believe in sola scriptura.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The SDA church teaches nothing is above Biblical scriptures. It’s in our 28 fundamental beliefs. Ellen White herself told us this. Like in any denomination, you will have individuals who take things to an extreme or for example, like we have on this site an individual who doesn’t go to the SDA church, is not a member, but claims to be one and is going around promoting a belief that is not SDA or Biblical but tags himself as such to promote a book for profit. You can not control what people do, so looking at the Statement of Belief is what the church says it stands for. It’s common knowledge SDA’s believe in sola scriptura.
If they teach her writings are inspired they teach that they are Scripture, the Word of God. Whether they know they are teaching this or not is irreverent.

So by proxy they are not sola scripture unless they include her writings in what they believe to be Scripture because they teach that her writings are inspired of God

• Winner
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If they teach her writings are inspired they teach that they are Scripture, the Word of God. Whether they know they are teaching this or not is irreverent.

So by proxy they are not sola scripture unless they include her writings in what they believe to be Scripture because they teach that her writings are inspired of God
Who is teaching that? I have been raised in the Adventist church with many generations. My father is an ordained pastor. I have been to many SDA churches over my years and not one pastor has ever taught Ellen Whites books are “biblical scripture”. They have referenced her on various topics occasionally. I am not saying Adventist do not value her writings, but to claim we believe they are Biblical scripture that is not in our fundamental beliefs and nothing I have ever witnessed or my father, who was trained through the churches has either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who is teaching that? I have been raised in the Adventist church with many generations. My father is an ordained pastor. I have been to hundreds of SDA churches over my years and not one pastor has ever taught Ellen Whites books are “biblical scripture”. They have referenced her on various topics occasionally. I am not saying Adventist do not value her writings, but to claim we believe they are Biblical scripture that is not in our fundamental beliefs and nothing I have ever witnessed or my father, who was trained through the churches has either.
The Adventist Church teaches her to be prophet, that her writings are inspired by God.
If one says one's writing are inspired by God they are saying they are Scripture, the Word of God whether know they are saying that or not is irreverent.

Incidentally if she was a prophet she was also the most prolific prophet ever along with being the most prolific woman writer.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Adventist Church teaches her to be prophet, that her writings are inspired by God.
If one says one's writing are inspired by God they are saying they are Scripture, the Word of God whether know they are saying that or not is irreverent.

Incidentally if she was a prophet she was also the most prolific prophet ever along with being the most prolific woman writer.
This is what the Church says:

The Scriptures testify that one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and we believe it was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. Her writings speak with prophetic authority and provide comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction to the church. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Num. 12:6; 2 Chron. 20:20; Amos 3:7; Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10; 22:8, 9.)

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is what the Church says:

The Scriptures testify that one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and we believe it was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. Her writings speak with prophetic authority and provide comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction to the church. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Num. 12:6; 2 Chron. 20:20; Amos 3:7; Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10; 22:8, 9.)
If one is a prophet and their inspired of God. What they say and write is equal to Scripture, the Word of God because what they say and write is the Word of God.
This is not that difficult my friend.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If one is a prophet and their inspired of God. What they say and write is equal to Scripture, the Word of God because what they say and write is the Word of God.
This is not that difficult my friend.
You earlier referenced the Pope and Ellen White in the same breath and there are some huge differences mainly this statement right here:

They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested.

God bless

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hello HIM,

I am not staying in this thread because too many people take EGW quotes out of their contexts as they do the bible and seek to apply an interpretation to her writings to make it sound that she was saying things she never said. These are all over the web. I will just say do you not believe in the biblical gifts of the Spirit of prophecy? Romans 12:6-10; 1 Corinthians 12:8-10; 1 Timothy 4:14; 2 Peter 1:21 and other gifts given through the Spirit of God to His Church? In the book of Revelation we see that one of the key signs of God's saints in the last days besides keeping all of God's commandments through faith in Jesus, is that they have a gift in understanding the Prophecies prior to the second coming. Besides keeping all of God's commandments they have the "testimony of Jesus Christ" that the bible defines as the "Spirit of Prophecy" (compare; Revelation 12:17 to Revelation 19:10 look at the testimony of Jesus) see also Revelation 14:12; Revelation 22:14).

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You referenced the Pope and Ellen White in the same breath and there are some huge differences mainly this statement right here:

They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested.

God bless
Yes I did. And you really have not addressed what I said in regards to infallibility. The Adventist teach all her writings are inspired. That She was infallible.

• Winner
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes I did. And you really have not addressed what I said in regards to infallibility. The Adventist teach all her writings are inspired. That She was infallible.
The statement I just quoted from the Church official beliefs contradict this statement.

Here it is again.

They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello HIM,

I am not staying in this thread because too many people take EGW quotes out of their contexts as they do the bible and seek to apply an interpretation to her writings to make it sound that she was saying things she never said. These are all over the web. I will just say do you not believe in the biblical gifts of the Spirit of prophecy? Romans 12:6-10; 1 Corinthians 12:8-10; 1 Timothy 4:14; 2 Peter 1:21. In the book of Revelation we see that one of the key signs of God's saints in the last days besides keeping all of God's commandments through faith in Jesus, is that they have a gift in understanding the Prophecies prior to the second coming (compare; Revelation 12:17 to Revelation 19:10 look at the testimony of Jesus;Revelation 14:12; Revelation 22:14).

God bless
I won't do that. I like her and read her often. However some things she penned can't be proven by Scripture.

BTW There is more to Revelation 12:17 and 19:10 than Ellen White my friend. For it is God that works in us both to will and do His good pleasure.
"For without me we can do nothing" is what Jesus said.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.