The Wild West
✟461,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Out of curiosity, are there any writings (parts of books or whole books) of Ellen G. White you disagree with? And if so, which ones? What criticisms of Ellen G. White do you regard as most applicable?

Reactions: ChetSinger

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This is a great question, but one which will probably not elicit many, if any, responses from our SDA friends. It is probably similar to asking a Mormon what, if any, of the voluminous writings of Brigham Young they disagree with.

I know that there are members of the SDA who have issues, some minor, some major, with Ellen White, and I hope to hear from them.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yup! I think there was something about, adventists missing out on heaven, if they didn't stop eating meat.

Actually, Ellen White held that one's salvation is dependent upon which day of the week one attends church. She was also very much into her own version of the dietary law, but did not quite go to the extremes of vegetarianism that many of her followers have.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, Ellen White held that one's salvation is dependent upon which day of the week one attends church. She was also very much into her own version of the dietary law, but did not quite go to the extremes of vegetarianism that many of her followers have.

Actually, Ellen White held that one's salvation is dependent upon which day of the week one attends church.

What's your take?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Actually, Ellen White held that one's salvation is dependent upon which day of the week one attends church.

What's your take?

My take is that Ellen White was seriously mistaken in associating attending a church meeting for about an hour in the morning with keeping the Sabbath.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My take is that Ellen White was seriously mistaken in associating attending a church meeting for about an hour in the morning with keeping the Sabbath.

Do you see her as having been a true prophet of God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Now that's interesting. Could you please give some examples if you don't mind. I mean how did you work it out?

One of the key tests of any prophet (or prophetess) is whether or not their prophecy aligns with the revealed word and will of God. A prophet, for example, recently predicted the second coming of Jesus Christ on a particular day in this past decade. The day came and went without the predicted physical return of Jesus Christ. The man, who is now dead, was a false prophet.

Another example would be the former Worldwide Church of God (aka Armstrongites after the name of their prophet, Herbert Armstrong). In 2009, long after the death of Mr. Armstrong, the leaders of the church held a very serious meeting with the result that they denounced his teachings as those of a false prophet and have embraced orthodox Christianity. For more details see here - Grace Communion International. Formerly: Worldwide Church of God (apologeticsindex.org)

In the case of the SDA, Mrs. White wrote profusely with the result being that she taught many unorthodox doctrines, many of which have been covertly rejected over time by church leaders. One example would be the doctrine of the divine trinity. For many years the SDA rejected the trinitarian understanding of God, which resulted in their identification as a cult. Today, the SDA has embraced the trinitarian doctrine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One of the key tests of any prophet (or prophetess) is whether or not their prophecy aligns with the revealed word and will of God. A prophet, for example, recently predicted the second coming of Jesus Christ on a particular day in this past decade. The day came and went without the predicted physical return of Jesus Christ. The man, who is now dead, was a false prophet.

Another example would be the former Worldwide Church of God (aka Armstrongites after the name of their prophet, Herbert Armstrong). In 2009, long after the death of Mr. Armstrong, the leaders of the church held a very serious meeting with the result that they denounced his teachings as those of a false prophet and have embraced orthodox Christianity. For more details see here - Grace Communion International. Formerly: Worldwide Church of God (apologeticsindex.org)

In the case of the SDA, Mrs. White wrote profusely with the result being that she taught many unorthodox doctrines, many of which have been covertly rejected over time by church leaders. One example would be the doctrine of the divine trinity. For many years the SDA rejected the trinitarian understand of God, which resulted in their identification as a cult. Today, the SDA has embraced the trinitarian doctrine.

I believe there was a lot of deception somewhere by the devil especially in relation to adventism. & i think what disturbs me the most is, i watched someone that i cared a lot for, going down because they simply wouldn't believe they could be set free from their problems, all because of some strange doctrines/beliefs, which they seemed to uphold.

Adventists are also well known for not receiving other people from different denominations. To them, if you're not one of them, you're lost, destined for hell and you get treated like an outcast. When we stop going by the word of God and start, following some teachings from a chuch founder, it can cause a lot of confusion & destruction.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe there was a lot of deception somewhere by the devil especially in relation to adventism. & i think what disturbs me the most is, i watched someone that i cared a lot for, going down because they simply wouldn't believe they could be set free from their problems, all because of some strange doctrines/beliefs, which they seemed to uphold.

Adventists are also well known for not receiving other people from different denominations. To them, if you're not one of them, you're lost, destined for hell and you get treated like an outcast. When we stop going by the word of God and start, following some teachings from a chuch founder, it can cause a lot of confusion & destruction.

I agree entirely!

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

In the case of the SDA, Mrs. White wrote profusely with the result being that she taught many unorthodox doctrines, many of which have been covertly rejected over time by church leaders. One example would be the doctrine of the divine trinity. For many years the SDA rejected the trinitarian understanding of God, which resulted in their identification as a cult. Today, the SDA has embraced the trinitarian doctrine.

You really are misquoting and putting your own interpretations on the facts. Ellen White never predicted the second coming of Christ. It is a well known fact that the Bible teaches us no one will know the hour, which means no one can predict His exact coming.

Ellen White was a Methodist when 1844 was predicted by a Baptist minister Rev. William Miller. The SDA church was not founded until 1863. So please if you are going to make statements, support it from facts.

Also, Ellen White is not a Bible writer. She does not claim to be a "Prophet" She only claimed God gave her messages to share and the main message was to get back to what GOD wrote with His own Finger and Spoke with His own Voice and asked us to REMEBER His Holy Sabbath and keep the seventh day Holy. Exodus 20:8-11

Sunday worship is a commandment of the Catholic Roman church and not a commandment of God, which they proudly take ownership of this change.

The question for all is do we follow God's Word or mans tradition we are warned about by Jesus?

Mathew 15: ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

Ellen White is not above the Bible and she repeatedly says the Bible
is the ultimate authority on everything.

Hope this helps.

God bless

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I dunno. Did he actually claim to be a prophet?

Another example would be the former Worldwide Church of God (aka Armstrongites after the name of their prophet, Herbert Armstrong).
Well, HE certainly did. And he was taken to be one by his followers.

rswass In 2009, long after the death of Mr. Armstrong, the leaders of the church held a very serious meeting with the result that they denounced his teachings as those of a false prophet and have embraced orthodox Christianity. For more details see here - Grace Communion International. Formerly: Worldwide Church of God (apologeticsindex.org)
Other leaders disagreed and formed a number of other church bodies dedicated to continuing the teachings of the WWCOG.

In the case of the SDA, Mrs. White wrote profusely with the result being that she taught many unorthodox doctrines....
That's true, and she was considered to be a prophet by her followers. Lately, some have reconsidered, as you noted. But only lately.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I dunno. Did he actually claim to be a prophet?

Well, HE certainly did. And he was taken to be one by his followers.

Other leaders disagreed and formed a number of other church bodies dedicated to continuing the teachings of the WWCOG.

That's true, and she was considered to be a prophet by her followers. Lately, some have reconsidered, as you noted. But only lately.
All Seventh-day Adventist believe in the authority of the Bible above everything else. No one follows Ellen G White, we follow the Word of God, the Bible. Enjoying a book like Steps to Christ which magnify’s the Bible is not the same as following a human. We follow God. If anyone is really curious about what SDA’s believe in, its not a secret, you can find it on our official website. Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh Day Adventist Church God bless

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All Seventh-day Adventist believe in the authority of the Bible above everything else. No one follows Ellen G White, we follow the Word of God, the Bible.
I really cannot appreciate why any SDA would say that, since it flies in the face of the evidence. However, I suspect that what you mean by it is that Adventists do not believe in what Ellen G. White taught or revealed, etc. if it were not already Biblical (as they have been led by Ellen G. White to think Scripture teaches).

I've been approached by church members at information booths and the like, and they are of course trying to interest me in what they want to promote. Well, guess what that always is--not the Bible, but an SDA magazine or a copy of "The Great Controversy," the pseudo-history book allegedly written by Ellen G. White. "It's all in there!" they say to me. ;)

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You really are misquoting and putting your own interpretations on the facts. Ellen White never predicted the second coming of Christ. It is a well known fact that the Bible teaches us no one will know the hour, which means no one can predict His exact coming.

Ellen White was a Methodist when 1844 was predicted by a Baptist minister Rev. William Miller. The SDA church was not founded until 1863. So please if you are going to make statements, support it from facts.

Also, Ellen White is not a Bible writer. She does not claim to be a "Prophet" She only claimed God gave her messages to share and the main message was to get back to what GOD wrote with His own Finger and Spoke with His own Voice and asked us to REMEBER His Holy Sabbath and keep the seventh day Holy. Exodus 20:8-11

Sunday worship is a commandment of the Catholic Roman church and not a commandment of God, which they proudly take ownership of this change.

The question for all is do we follow God's Word or mans tradition we are warned about by Jesus?

Mathew 15: ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

Ellen White is not above the Bible and she repeatedly says the Bible
is the ultimate authority on everything.

Hope this helps.

God bless

I never stated that Mrs. White ever predicted the physical return of Jesus Christ to earth. Many others, such as Messrs. Armstrong and Miller have done that and failed. Mrs. White gathered many of Mr. White's former followers, invented a scenario (the Investigative Judgement) to explain what "actually" happened in heaven on that blissful, but otherwise very disappointing, day.

The fact remains pure and simple that, without forecasting the physical return of Jesus Christ, Mrs. White was not a true, biblical prophetess.

The question was raised, "Was Ellen White a prophet?" You yourself have answered it, as well, in the negative, affirming that she did not claim to be a prophet.

• Winner
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I really cannot appreciate why any SDA would say that, since it flies in the face of the evidence. However, I suspect that what you mean by it is that Adventists do not believe in what Ellen G. White taught or revealed, etc. if it were not already Biblical (as they have been led by Ellen G. White to think Scripture teaches).

I've been approached by church members at information booths and the like, and they are of course trying to interest me in what they want to promote. Well, guess what that always is--not the Bible, but an SDA magazine or a copy of "The Great Controversy," the pseudo-history book allegedly written by Ellen G. White. "It's all in there!" they say to me. ;)

If you want to know what the SDA believe in I already shared our official statement of belief. Anything else is hearsay.

Anyone can say anything about anyone but it doesn’t make it true. Maybe a good read on the Official website will give you better understanding of SDA since our faith seems to be of interest to you. Better to get your information from the horses mouth, than a one off or someone who claims to be SDA but really is not. God bless

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you want to know what the SDA believe in I already shared our official statement of belief.

NOW, it is.

Anything else is hearsay.
My own encounters with SDA representatives are not "hearsay." :sigh:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.