PA
✟271,779.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Out of curiosity, are there any writings (parts of books or whole books) of Ellen G. White you disagree with? And if so, which ones? What criticisms of Ellen G. White do you regard as most applicable?
I know that there are members of the SDA who have issues, some minor, some major, with Ellen White, and I hope to hear from them
Posts like this seem to be a veiled attempt at criticizing. It opens the floor up to nonsensical responses from the peanut gallery. If the OP was truly curious, why not ask the same question in the Traditional Adventist forum.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Posts like this seem to be a veiled attempt at criticizing. It opens the floor up to nonsensical responses from the peanut gallery. If the OP was truly curious, why not ask the same question in the Traditional Adventist forum.

You would probably have to ask it in two places then because the Traditional forum is not where you are likely to find those Adventists who disagree with Ellen White. Though I haven't seen that many progressives in the progressive Adventist section lately either. Personally I wish they had never split, but as it is there are two different sections. For those Adventists reading, it might be time to request they re-merge. The folks who wanted to have separate areas are either gone or inactive anyway now, and I think it is needlessly confusing to folks.

But as to this thread, here you can ask in one place and follow up without running afoul of safe haven rules. And there were a number of SDA threads going here so he probably figured it was as good of a place as any.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that threads on these forums should be limited in the number of pages of answers. In this thread (which is 11 pages long) perhaps 8 or 9 pages are completely useless tripe!

It is highly discrediting of the forum. I am deeply disappointed by the standard here. I am almost certain that some of the very obvious rednecks here, people who make a lot of insults and attempt to provide authoritative answers without any supporting references, are here because they could not possibly maintain an adequate standing to even be allowed to answer on stack exchange!
Really need to lift the standard. If you don't agree with E.G White, perhaps start by referencing from credible sources your point.

One point made here that I was surprised to read...Waldensies did not keep the Sabbath. That is categorically false...some of them absolutely kept the Sabbath. However, that is not what they are remembered in history for. I am not sure I have heard SDA's make the claim we got the Sabbath from them, particularly since I was taught it had been given to us via the Seventh Day Baptist movement.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You would probably have to ask it in two places then because the Traditional forum is not where you are likely to find those Adventists who disagree with Ellen White. Though I haven't seen that many progressives in the progressive Adventist section lately either. Personally I wish they had never split, but as it is there are two different sections. For those Adventists reading, it might be time to request they re-merge. The folks who wanted to have separate areas are either gone or inactive anyway now, and I think it is needlessly confusing to folks.

But as to this thread, here you can ask in one place and follow up without running afoul of safe haven rules. And there were a number of SDA threads going here so he probably figured it was as good of a place as any.

I like the traditional Adventist section because you can ask or comment there to get the Adventist response as reflected in our denomination's voted statements of beliefs.

But the progressive group is often ex-SDA or hardly-recognizable SDA POV one-off responses that could hardly be "the Adventist POV" even by a long shot. Might as well discuss that sort of thing anywhere such as "General Theology" forum.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
One point made here that I was surprised to read...Waldensies did not keep the Sabbath. That is categorically false...some of them absolutely kept the Sabbath. However, that is not what they are remembered in history for. I am not sure I have heard SDA's make the claim we got the Sabbath from them, particularly since I was taught it had been given to us via the Seventh Day Baptist movement.

You are right that there is no claim by Adventists that "we got the Sabbath from Waldenses" - particularly given that it was the Seventh-day Baptists that were before us and that contacted us early in the formation of the Adventist denomination.

As for an almost infinite number of rabbit-trails, side trails that "could be had" - one interesting point is that while Waldenses had their writings destroyed - and only their enemies have records about them available for historic review - still even their enemies could not help but admit that Waldenses were known for the keeping of the 7th day Sabbath. (Admittedly - a side-trail for this thread)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the traditional Adventist section because you can ask or comment there to get the Adventist response as reflected in our denomination's voted statements of beliefs.

But the progressive group is often ex-SDA or hardly-recognizable SDA POV one-off responses that could hardly be "the Adventist POV" even by a long shot. Might as well discuss that sort of thing anywhere such as "General Theology" forum.

That is why it never made sense to split. Other denominations don't have separate forums for those who disagree with doctrine. And the original split was more about personality conflicts than simply theology anyway.

You might check with staff and see if it is time to just role the progressive forum back in. There is not a post newer than 2020 anyway, so no one would even notice if it was placed back in the Adventist forum.

It split after the 7/7/7 reforms when Erwin still owned to forums. It probably wouldn't have happened any other time, but the members were put in charge of reports, forums, etc.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

That was not my intention when posting this thread, and I regret having given that impression.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,379.00
Country
United States
Faith