✟16,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hypothetical scenario, unless you can answer from experience:

If your girlfriend is unattractive, are you disappointed by her appearance? Do you ever wish she were more attractive? Do you ever look at other girls and wish you were with them instead? Do you lie to your girlfriend and tell her she is pretty?

Would you date a girl who was unattractive if she was "a woman who feared the Lord?" (Proverbs 31:30).

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow, Loaded question. Ill give it my best.

Each guy is attracted to differant types of women. However as I have learned, a girls looks are only 50% of whether or not she is attractive, her personality changes alot of the perceptions of her.

I look for several things, Physical ( a girl who is a little big doesnt bother me, as long as its not unhealthy or gluttony), the way she holds herself, her dress and her personality. I had this discussion with a female friend and I basically figured that If I love her, she will be beautiful to me, regardless of how everyone else sees her.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2006
Washington DC
✟1,541.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yep. I'll assume your talking about physical attractiveness. Attractiveness is different from each guys perceptions. Alot of guys like the Barbie super model looking women, others (like me) like the "average" looking women. I guess its a matter of personal preference. Personality has alot to do with and so does fearing the Lord.

-TJ-

Upvote 0

onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would you date a girl who was unattractive if she was "a woman who feared the Lord?" (Proverbs 31:30).

No; she has to fear the Lord and I need to be attracted to her.

And if someone has an issue with it, they can go read a whole book on being attracted to a woman (Song of Solomon).

Upvote 0

Dorf

God has given us a sword, swing it
Jun 11, 2006
✟16,128.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not trying to dodge the question, but something had to attract the guy in the first place. You see someone before you talk to them. If they are bf/gf it wouldn't have happened that way unless there was attraction. If someone tells you something aren't we supposed to believe it as the truth unless there is proof not to? I'd be careful with this kind of scenario, the coulda, woulda, shoulda factor is to great to go to deep into it.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't have dated someone I wasn't attracted to. Some guys are attracted to different types of girls than others. Each of us have our own preference, but if I wasn't attracted to a girl physically, there is no way I would get involved. It would only cause problems in the long run.

CJ

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Hypothetical scenario, unless you can answer from experience:

If your girlfriend is unattractive, are you disappointed by her appearance?
If I found her unattractive she wouldn't be my girlfriend in the first place...at least she was easy. Easy girls are really attractive.

No. Lots of woman are fearful of God. I shouldn't date anyone just because. I have to find her attractive as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jedi

Knight
Sep 19, 2002
United States
Visit site
✟5,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The question I have, which others have already pointed out, is "Why are you with this person in the first place if you're not attracted to them?" Whenever I consider dating someone, the very fact that I want to date her is evidence that she's passed my attractiveness standards.

But let us suppose we're married and something terrible happened so her physical beauty was compromised - some car accident perhaps. Would I leave her? Nope. In fact, this is a test I try to put myself through before I pursue any young woman. I try to think of something outrageous to really test how and why I'm attracted to a girl. Perhaps I'll ask myself, "If she lost all her hair and had a birthmark on her forehead the shape of Texas, would you still love her?" In some cases, my answer is "yes," and it is those cases that I consider most heavily getting into a relationship with because I know the attraction I have to them is more than skin deep.

I hope this helps ease your curiosity. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2006
CANADA
Visit site
✟7,648.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think there was two questions.

#1 was asking if you currently had a girlfriend, have you ever wished she was more pretty? No. I've dated girls who are really good looking and some weren't as good looking as the one before. but their personalities make up for it.. and makes them more attractive and prettier. "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.. blah blah blah" :)

#2. was asking if you didn't have a girlfriend, would you pursue a non-attractive girl only because she loves God? Honestly, I don't think that's a good reason. There are some girls who are mature in their faith but are insecure in other areas. I'd say they'd really have to click with me before any attraction would happen. But i wouldn't lead a girl on if i wasn't sure. But I'd most likely think no. There has to be atleast something i like about their appearance.. does this mean they have to be perfect? No. So I could very well be attracted to an average person.

But as others have said, different people have different tastes.. so there's no need to become obsessed with looks. For a lot of people, personality can make a huge difference as how someone visually appeals.

Upvote 0

onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really believe your personality MAKES you attractive

I really don't care if it's personality, looks, both, or the phase of the moon that you find attractive about someone.

Just be attracted to them if you are going to date/marry them.

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, A good Personality does not equal fat, but its not best to use "Great Personality" or "Sweet" as the first thing used to describe her.

All the guys who have lived this "So I know someone who you would be great with" understand what Im talkin about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I agree with pretty much all the guys on here. I wouldn't be dating her unless I thought she was atractive. Also, as others have said, it is not just physical.

You got:
- Physical
- Character
- Personality

Maybe a couple others that I can't think of right now. But I think I give pretty equal weight to all of these categories. Except, Character, may carry slightly more weight than the others.

Every guy can spot an atractive girl a mile away. While there may be slight differences in opinion on this, it is generally the same. I think the big differences in opinion come from the other two categories - character and personality. This is me just blabering on so don't put to much weight in it.

I wouldn't lie. But I would try to be tactful, if it was an issue.

Upvote 0