Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘Whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.’ (1 Corinthians 10:31)

A football player pointing to heaven after a touchdown, a sign of the cross made before a game, and giving God credit for a victory are all beautiful moments in sports. But is God really involved in athletic competitions like the Super Bowl? Does he care who wins?

When women’s soccer star Megan Rapinoe (NWSL) suffered an Achilles tendon injury six minutes into the final game of her career during the NWSL Championship, she expressed frustration in postgame remarks.

I mean, I don’t deserve this, I’ll tell you that much,” she said. “If there was a God, like, this is proof that there isn’t.”

Then there’s quarterback Tom Brady, with 10 Super Bowl appearances and seven victories, who credits witchcraft for his last two Superbowl wins. Occult practices seek to use power not from God. But do any of these practices make a difference in the outcome of the game?

Deeper Meaning in Sports​

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think God doesn't give two hoots who wins the Super Bowl. I don't know what the saints are doing (actually I've got some ideas) but I doubt if they're watching someone kicking a pigskin on Super Wide Screen Beatific Tele-Vision.

It's one thing if a sportsman or sportswoman acknowledges they believe in Christ, but when they think God favoured them by winning, they're implying God had a hand in making sure the opposition lost.

God doesn't owe anyone anything, let alone a field goal. He'd have more pressing issues on His mind.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think God doesn't give two hoots who wins the Super Bowl. I don't know what the saints are doing (actually I've got some ideas) but I doubt if they're watching someone kicking a pigskin on Super Wide Screen Beatific Tele-Vision.

It's one thing if a sportsman or sportswoman acknowledges they believe in Christ, but when they think God favoured them by winning, they're implying God had a hand in making sure the opposition lost.

God doesn't owe anyone anything, let alone a field goal. He'd have more pressing issues on His mind.
I think God is involved to the extent they all play their best, but He isn’t involved in who wins. If so, nobody would win since both sides are praying hard.

Upvote 0