Houston
✟13,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am recently visiting a presbyterian church. I have some questions on it. What is the presbyterian view on Female elders? I believe that the bible is authoritative so would agree with this site on that:

Can women serve as elders in the church? | GotQuestions.org

Moreover, has there been any compromises with regards to the lgbtqi+ within its teaching?

Thanks! I don't intend this to be divisive but rather would like to just know more about it.

God Bless!!!

Belinda Cooper

I am called to be salt & light
Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First, I am not presbyterian.
There are many churches/denominations that are liberal/progressive and changing and twisting God's Word to fit a very liberal narrative. There have been numerous churches leaving those denomination ties.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks y'all. how would I know if the church I am visiting is PCA or PCUSA. I assume I would have to ask someone at the local church. It also seems each presbyterian church is locally governed by elders.
Look up the name of that particular church you visited. Most have websites, and will most likely designate one or the other.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am recently visiting a presbyterian church. I have some questions on it. What is the presbyterian view on Female elders? I believe that the bible is authoritative so would agree with this site on that:

Can women serve as elders in the church? | GotQuestions.org

Moreover, has there been any compromises with regards to the lgbtqi+ within its teaching?

Thanks! I don't intend this to be divisive but rather would like to just know more about it.

God Bless!!!

It depends on the Presbyterian denomination. In general I believe the PCUSA (being the most liberal) allows woman and LGBTQ in the leadership and ministry. I believe the PCA and OPC do not. The EPC leaves the allowance for women pastors, elders, and deacons up to the particular church but does not allow LGBTQ in the ministry stating:
God helping us, we shall continue, within our churches and in the public arena, to teach against and to refuse to condone or participate in any sinful form of sexual practice —including sexual abuse, inappropriate contentography, sexual lust, extra-marital sex, adultery, polygamy, unbiblical divorce and remarriage, homosexual conduct, same-sex union and marriage, and gender reassignment. At the same time, we resolve to continue to love those who have committed these sins and/or suffered from them.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks y'all. how would I know if the church I am visiting is PCA or PCUSA. I assume I would have to ask someone at the local church. It also seems each presbyterian church is locally governed by elders.
Generally the website will show, you could of course ask as well. Many times the sign out front will have a logo for the denomination.

Each church is governed locally by elders who are elected by the congregation, this body may be called the "session", "church board" or similar. Groups of local churches are governed by a board of elders known as the "presbytery". In larger denominations the presbyteries may be grouped into a "synod" and a synod is grouped into the "general assembly".

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Generally the website will show, you could of course ask as well. Many times the sign out front will have a logo for the denomination.

Each church is governed locally by elders who are elected by the congregation, this body may be called the "session", "church board" or similar. Groups of local churches are governed by a board of elders known as the "presbytery". In larger denominations the presbyteries may be grouped into a "synod" and a synod is grouped into the "general assembly".
Right. But groups above the local church set some policies, e.g. whether women and LGBT can be ordained. Generally the theological limits that come from the national level are tighter in the PCA than the PCUSA.

• Useful
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0