Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found a church online that is near my home that is Presbyterian PCA and wanted to know what the main difference would be between that group and other denominations like Baptist or Methodist? It looks like it is one of the more conservative parts of the Presbyterian church.
If I did go in person would I be allowed to take part in the Lord's Supper? Or is that only for members?

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's Presbyterian.

They are the conservative wing of the Presbyterian Church who don't believe in female ordination etc. (the liberals are PCUSA)

in Presbyterian churches the Lord's Supper a baptised member thing, though they might share communion with others, you would want to ask.

This article might prove interesting for you:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I found a church online that is near my home that is Presbyterian PCA and wanted to know what the main difference would be between that group and other denominations like Baptist or Methodist? It looks like it is one of the more conservative parts of the Presbyterian church.
If I did go in person would I be allowed to take part in the Lord's Supper? Or is that only for members?
My opinion of them is moderately positive. They are on the conservative end of the Presbyterian spectrum but there are other even more conservative sorts of Presbyterians to be found. As to having open or closed communion in the past the one place I knew of had closed communion. So you would have to ask to be allowed. You wouldn't have to be a member per se but you would have to have approval in advance.

The PCA merged with another denomination 25 or so years ago and that group actually had a functioning canon law system. That's all to the good because it makes for stability. Those were the RPCES (IIRC) of which Francis Schaeffer was a member. Remember him? I have a moderately positive opinion of him too. Oh, and C. Everett Koop was also a member of that group that merged into the PCA. And so was my wife, way back when.

I'd say if you absolutely have to go Presbyterian then you could do far worse than the PCA.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My opinion of them is moderately positive. They are on the conservative end of the Presbyterian spectrum but there are other even more conservative sorts of Presbyterians to be found. As to having open or closed communion in the past the one place I knew of had closed communion. So you would have to ask to be allowed. You wouldn't have to be a member per se but you would have to have approval in advance.

The PCA merged with another denomination 25 or so years ago and that group actually had a functioning canon law system. That's all to the good because it makes for stability. Those were the RPCES (IIRC) of which Francis Schaeffer was a member. Remember him? I have a moderately positive opinion of him too. Oh, and C. Everett Koop was also a member of that group that merged into the PCA. And so was my wife, way back when.

I'd say if you absolutely have to go Presbyterian then you could do far worse than the PCA.
Well, I didn't go to that church today, but I may in the future. I went back to a Baptist church with some moderate leanings that I have been to last year. I really enjoy the music there and the sanctuary is beautiful. I say moderate leanings because even though it is Baptist they allow women pastors and staff. There are probably other issues that I don't know about yet. I have only been there about 4 times

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, I didn't go to that church today, but I may in the future. I went back to a Baptist church with some moderate leanings that I have been to last year. I really enjoy the music there and the sanctuary is beautiful. I say moderate leanings because even though it is Baptist they allow women pastors and staff. There are probably other issues that I don't know about yet. I have only been there about 4 times
I can't help you there. I knew a bit about the PCA.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, communion is for the worldwide church of Christ.
Christians of any denomination are encouraged to participate.
There are several kinds of Presbyterians around the world. The PCA is on the more conservative side of things. Perhaps the PCUSA would be more like what you describe in Ireland.

Upvote 0

John G.

Feb 2, 2024
N. Ireland
✟9,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hardly.
We severed links to the PC of Scotland because of their move towards accepting gay marriages and baptisms. With us, it's not even up for debate.
However, we do accept ordination of women ministers and women elders - though it is very rare to see either.
And, as I mentioned, communion is for the worldwide church regardless of denomination.

Upvote 0