Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm new to this idea - I'm not a dispensationalist but just wanting to ask: I was reading a definition of one type that says basically there was mosaic law, now grace. I agree that Christians are "under grace, not law" but did Jesus not die for the sins of Israel in the past? They were looking forward to the Messiah, because it is impossible for man to keep the law, so in justice if the Israelites and Jews under Mosaic law didn't keep it perfectly, which they didn't, they are all condemned. The grace of God was always necessary, from my point of view, or God is not just. Could you explain how you see this for me?

Thanks!
Mim

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m sure you will get plenty of flavors here.

If you want to know a bit about what is classic Dispensational theology then John Walvoord is a good source.

Reflections on Dispensationalism | Walvoord.com

Most classic Dispensational theologians will join most of Christianity in proclaiming God has always saved by Grace. What they highlight are the various covenants God made with mankind and what promises were made and which were conditional and the ones which were enduring or everlasting.

For example the promises in the Sinai covenant were conditional on obedience.

Whereas the promises to Abraham were by faith and everlasting.

Classic Dispensational theology shares some views with Historic Futurism in that the end times will be literal events with a literal 1000 year millennial kingdom on earth after the Second Coming of Christ. Where the two differ is on the rapture of the church from the tribulation. Both agree Israel as a people will be part of the end times coming to Christ but a Historic Futurist sees this as Jews coming to Christ and being added to the Church.

There’s loads more and at the link I gave you are some scholarly articles by Walvoord which should give you good research.

Articles | Walvoord.com

• Useful
Reactions: Mhiriam
Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's why there was animal sacrifices, to absolve them of their sins...that's why when Jesus came and died, he became the ultimate sin and animal sacrifices could seize

So if they looked to a Messiah, tried to follow law, and performed animal sacrifices then they are covered

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
shadow.png

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm new to this idea - I'm not a dispensationalist but just wanting to ask: I was reading a definition of one type that says basically there was mosaic law, now grace. I agree that Christians are "under grace, not law" but did Jesus not die for the sins of Israel in the past? They were looking forward to the Messiah, because it is impossible for man to keep the law, so in justice if the Israelites and Jews under Mosaic law didn't keep it perfectly, which they didn't, they are all condemned. The grace of God was always necessary, from my point of view, or God is not just. Could you explain how you see this for me?

Thanks!
Mim
Jesus died for the sins of the world, and eternal life is given through the promised Messiah from Old Testament prophecies. The Jews did not have a name but they knew God was sending a Messiah and that eternal life was in Him (The Messiah) more was reveled (about this promised Messiah) as time went on. When Jesus was born and began His ministry. He stated, to look to Him, for eternal life, the people now had an actual living person to Believe in who was present among them. After Jesus ascension to heaven the apostles witnessed as to who to believe in for eternal life. They taught from the Old Testament about the promised Messiah and witness to the people that this person was the one who was crucified, Jesus was no longer here in a physical body but people now simply believe in the crucified Messiah for the gift of eternal life. which in Acts at Pentecost started the church age the current dispensation

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks!
Mim

Down at the bottom right of the following Mid-Acts Dispensational website, there is a list of authors in pdf, right below the YouTube video.

The link to author C. Baker, contains a nice intro to Dispensationalism called "A Dispensational Synopsis of the New Testament" that contrasts Grace within the OT and the NT.

grace gospel

Romans 5:6-11

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Dispensationalists hold that salvation was ALWAYS "by grace, through faith." No one was ever justified by keeping the law. Even in the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit said that the just shall live by faith. And they hold that the basic ways of God never change.

The central of Dispensationalism is that, although God's basic ways never change, He, from time to time, changes the way He deals with mankind. But these changes have not been random, or changing from plan A to plan B, as it were. Instead, they have been, from the beginning, part of a systematic plan to demonstrate that mankind would fail under any conceivable circumstance.

This is never explicitly stated in the Bible. But the changes in the way God dealt with mankind can be clearly seen in the scriptures.

At first, God came down in a visible form and openly talked with mankind. And He did not even give mankind a knowledge of the difference between good and evil. But mankind, which at that time consisted of only two individuals, broke the only command God had given them. And this period, which we call a dispensation, ended with mankind being expelled from the garden of Eden.

Then God left mankind up to their own conscience. But the earth became filled with corruption and violence. And this period or dispensation ended with the worldwide flood of Noah.

Then God established government in the earth, giving mankind a command to execute justice. But mankind united in rebellion against God, deciding to build a tower so high it reached heaven. And this period or dispensation ended with the languages of mankind being confused, so they could no longer communicate with each other.

Then God called out a single man, and gave him a promise for his descendants. But his descendants forgot the promise. And this period or dispensation ended with the family of that man reduced to hopelessness in slavery in a foreign land.

Then God gave mankind a law by which to live, promising them blessing if they kept that law, but cursing if they broke it. but they broke that law and thereby lost the blessing. And this period or dispensation ended with the only individual that ever kept that law hanging on a tree.

Then God promised a full and free pardon to anyone who simply trusted in the sacrifice Jesus made at Calvary. But the great bulk of those that profess that trust have turned aside from that simple faith. And God has already told us that this period will end in general apostasy, resulting in unparalleled judgment.

And God has promised one more period in the future, in which He will bring Israel back to their land and to repentance and faith in their Lord. But He has also just as clearly told us that this final period, or dispensation, will end in worldwide rebellion against Himself, resulting in the final destruction of the earth itself.

As the number seven is a number that represents perfection in the scriptures, God is using these seven demonstrations as a perfect demonstration that mankind will fail under any conceivable circumstance. And the point of all this is to glorify the grace and mercy of a God that will so pardon heal creatures as and rebellious and irreconcilable as mankind.

This is the central essence of Dispensationalism, and its teaching extends all the way back into the ancient church writings. (For a full examination of this, see "Ancient Dispensational Truth," by James C. Morris, [full disclosure, that is myself] ISBN # 978-1-945774-29-4, available online.)

But many insist that, to qualify as Dispensationalism, a system of doctrine must stress the distinct difference between Israel and the church. That is, that Israel and the church are two distinct groups, with two distinct destinies. For when we examine the promises to Israel, they were all promises of blessing in this present life, and on the earth. In the Old Testament, there was a general understanding of future bliss with God, but it was never distinctly revealed, other than a few comments that it would take place. But the promises to the church are entirely different. The only thing we are promised in this earth is persecution, if we are faithful. Our promises are all heavenly. We are promised blessing after this life, with Christ in glory. This is a set of promises entirely different from the promises given to Israel.

Dispensationalism flows from a simple acceptance of the many promises of a future blessing for Israel, as meaning exactly what they say. That in a future day all Israel will be gathered back into their ancient homeland, and that the rebels will be purged (by death) from their midst as they return. And that then all the survivors of this judgment will repent and turn back to their God with their whole hearts. And then they will be blessed in their land forever. But that blessing will flow out from them unto the whole world, which will also be judged at the same time.

And that is the essence of Dispensationalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums