✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Just wondering what folks think about George Fox and William Penn and the early Quaker movement in the 1600's... Was it a genuine move of God? They suffered serious persecution for their faith. Not so interested in the modern movement, just wondering what folks think about the beginnings. There are claims they were gnostic - any thoughts - any research to point to? They were known for shaking in God's presence.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I love the Quakers! Some of my favorite Christian authors, Richard Foster and Parker Palmer, are Quakers. I love their focus on sitting and listening in prayer. Yes, I believe it was a very valid and genuine Christian movement.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi there,

Just wondering what folks think about George Fox and William Penn and the early Quaker movement in the 1600's... Was it a genuine move of God? They suffered serious persecution for their faith. Not so interested in the modern movement, just wondering what folks think about the beginnings. There are claims they were gnostic - any thoughts - any research to point to? They were known for shaking in God's presence.

Personally.... I think that the Quaker Movement was the real deal. My mentor Mr. Herbert W. Armstrong was a Quaker before he began the Worldwide Church of God. The WWCG got me up out of Atheism in 1973 when I was fourteen.

By 1990 or 1991 I actually experienced a Shaking for hours on end that to my thinking indicated that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus was beginning to deal with me at a whole new level. By that time Mr. Herbert W. Armstrong was already deceased for four or five years.

I've never spoken in tongues although my wife has. Once I clued to the possible connection it kind of intrigued me that Shaking for hours was the spiritual experience that I personally went through after I prayed with boldness and chutzpah for wisdom because I was beginning to suspect that I had many incorrect ideas about Messiah Yeshua - Jesus and how He was working out His plans for humanity.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mentor Mr. Herbert W. Armstrong was a Quaker before he began the Worldwide Church of God.

Herbert W. Armstrong denied the Trinity, which means that he was not a Christian.

After he died, many of his followers adopted a more biblical set of beliefs.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
George Fox and the original impetus behind Quakerism...probably good. There is something there to admire.

However it had its extremist side almost from the moment it gained converts, so it is not as though it's just today that a lot about Quakerism has gone sour.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums