England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
At the church I go to, every sermon seems geared to saying "we are saved" but no detail is given on Sundays or in the rare home groups about what comes next. Is prayer not needed and if it is needed why can it not be explained and discussed. Did God abolish contingency and providence and the need to look after each other's integrity, just because we are posh and upper middle class now that all crises are permanently over? Are they "one verse charlies"? A few of their more forthright young people who threw down the gauntlet to the preachers as if taking them at their word, are now looking worried. Will they be allowed to ask questions about faith? I (single old man) got told (by the group animator) worshipping in Spirit and in Truth was off-topic the other week when we were supposed to be using Jn 4. Maybe a big, round faith like in my young day wasn't meant to be right, after all. St Paul says "love believes all things" and that is outdated apparently, according to the extra authoritative religious authorities of nowadays. So my question is, given that faith is theology come alive, how can I practice as co-theologian among my congregation fellow members? Can I pick on any small points to encourage and affirm my peers in, and can they do the same for me? There is too little to believe in nowadays. I fear that if I don't attend, some genuine people with potential will not want to contact me and that may be to our mutual loss.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
At the church I go to, every sermon seems geared to saying "we are saved" but no detail is given on Sundays or in the rare home groups about what comes next. Is prayer not needed and if it is needed why can it not be explained and discussed. Did God abolish contingency and providence and the need to look after each other's integrity, just because we are posh and upper middle class now that all crises are permanently over? Are they "one verse charlies"? A few of their more forthright young people who threw down the gauntlet to the preachers as if taking them at their word, are now looking worried. Will they be allowed to ask questions about faith? I (single old man) got told (by the group animator) worshipping in Spirit and in Truth was off-topic the other week when we were supposed to be using Jn 4. Maybe a big, round faith like in my young day wasn't meant to be right, after all. St Paul says "love believes all things" and that is outdated apparently, according to the extra authoritative religious authorities of nowadays. So my question is, given that faith is theology come alive, how can I practice as co-theologian among my congregation fellow members? Can I pick on any small points to encourage and affirm my peers in, and can they do the same for me? There is too little to believe in nowadays. I fear that if I don't attend, some genuine people with potential will not want to contact me and that may be to our mutual loss.
Read Matt 24 - Jesus warns that at this end of time hour for Earth -- everyone is about to be fully deceived as they were at the time of Noah...

Lot's of bad-news ending statements from Jesus in Matt 24.

Time for Christians to wake and be alert as 1 Thess 5:1-8 says

Reactions: Matt5
Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Bob, just what I thought. So I must pray extra, and use every excuse (and none) to remind them of those texts. I might need them to return the favour some day! I'll pray for boldness and tact combined. As I have a speech defect apparently anything I say comes over unclear. I've never been out to supplant anyone else's place in teaching or proclaiming within the churches I was at. Over the years since my teens especially, I have asked this question, what comes next, and there is less and less of an answer.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
What comes next after believing in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life. A new believer should grow, as they are now a born again child of God. Growth to the point they are bearing fruit and in the knowledge God's word.

Longing for the Pure Milk of the Word — 1 Peter 2:1-3 – Grace Evangelical Society

You Must Grow Up (Ephesians 4:11-24), Part 1 – Grace Evangelical Society

Building on the Right Foundation – Grace Evangelical Society

Right Thinking, Essential to Spiritual Growth – Grace Evangelical Society

• Useful
Reactions: OldAbramBrown
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In many churches, getting "saved" is just the beginning of problems.

1. Get "saved"
2. Join the "church"
3. Tithe
4. Go to "church" whenever the doors are open
5. Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer
6. Don't disagree with the pastor, elders, etc.
7. Remember the pastor is the mannagawd and his word is God's word.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In many churches, getting "saved" is just the beginning of problems ...
I wonder if there are some churches (and if the one I go to is one of these) where the elders merely think they should communicate these goals (because that's how they were taught to present themselves) but would be open to the whole Gospel, or whether they are choosing to impose exactly this. It's sad that striking up conversation ends up going nowhere. Certainly, I'll pray more - failsafe help-all.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Just refuse to think of the other things as problems. Either do the other things or don' t but keep a good spirit about you regardless.
2. Join the "church"
it is an unusual concept really. You joined the church when you received Jesus as your Lord. If one doesn't want to officially join something though you just say no. But keep a good spirit about you and walk in love.
Just do a sincere study of scripture and follow through on what you see there. I'm not saying this to back tithing or not to back tithing.....but do study it out then go by what you have in your heart by what you actually see God is saying about it.
We should seek to want to be a blessing to others and impart spiritual strength to others on a daily basis (acts 4 speaks of daily) , but just don't make it a legalistic thing. Everyone needs a break. If someone suggests you've sinned by missing a service just smile and seek to bless them and continue on.
Yeah sure. You'll always have some wanting to max you out but ultimately be lead by what's in your heart. Some allow themselves with getting overloaded with maybe doing too much. All depends on how one chooses to look at it. Some KNOW they're doing much but they look upon it as they don't care. They do it as unto the Lord that is they always want to be busy doing something. Other's aren't like that way. Just decide what you want to do. Good though to at least be doing something.
Well I think most pastors know their congregations don't agree with everything they might say. The issue is how does the member of the congregation respond to it. Are they going to create a big spiritual eruption over it? There are times some people just need to chill and keep things in perspective. There can be a major difference of something.....one might need to have a private meeting with the Pastor to discuss it. Many differences shouldn't b e thought of as that big a deal though.
So by your using "mannagawd" you're appealing to the suggestion that people are just ignorant dupes who never think. I think there's very, very few people who consider their pastor as infallible. You're speaking of the small numbers of those who are out their on the fringe.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The first step would be sitting down with your pastor and having a conversation - there is no one here that can help you more.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. Get "saved"
Salvation is not a problem
2. Join the "church"
Again not a problem
It is an act of worship - don't want to worship - then don't - it is between you and God. If you cannot do it as an act of worship - keep your money, it will serve you better.
Why? because you want to - or have to?
Why would you not want to help reach the lost?
If a pastor preaches that - it is time to find another church

FWIW - I am a Pastor - if any of those seven fit a person, I would invite them to stay home and watch Oprah or a good ball game. It would benefit them just as much as coming to a place they find so reprehensible as described.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Again not a problem

It is an act of worship - don't want to worship - then don't - it is between you and God. If you cannot do it as an act of worship - keep your money, it will serve you better.

FWIW - I am a Pastor - if any of those seven fit a person, I would invite them to stay home and watch Oprah or a good ball gam
e. It would benefit them just as much as coming to a place they find so reprehensible as described.
Notice that I said "many" churches.....not all. And by "many" I don't mean "most".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The first step would be sitting down with your pastor and having a conversation - there is no one here that can help you more.
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion; however;
i - we still don't have one. We employ an excellent assistant minister, rather busy though, who gives sermons that aren't the elders' style at all, are very good in my opinion but overlong and he gabbles. "Home groups" if they are held seem geared ostensibly to quizzing on the sermon content but if one really does that, one gets told one is off topic anyway (e.g I was told worship in Spirit and in truth isn't in Jn 4). It's as if the general atmosphere is non comprehension, hence my, ahem, non comprehension.
ii - as an authority (and I'm not) elders don't know what a non-authority can bring to the church milieu,
iii - one should be talking to one's peers even before a boss,
iv - my peers are at the oldest 20 years younger than me, and none are single like me,
v - they've not seen the breadth and length of recent church history I've seen,
vi - to current doctrine, which I'm not used to, enquiring and explaining are thought strange. Doctrine = gossiping. I'm not uninterested in appreciating any doctrinal benefits they can offer, if only they would be plain what those are.
Hence, forum members are my peers! All substantial and insightful perspectives welcomed! Some of you seem to think that more prayer, more Bible sharing and more mutual explaining among free peers used to be more normal?
P.s my current congregation joined another church yesterday (those who could) and are now saying their next activity will be on 10 th, is this consistent with their signalling that they are not the ones I should expect answers of anyway (are they running out of steam)?

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Just refuse to ... on the fringe.
I agree extremely strongly with you on all points except slightly less so on the last two. There appears an alarming tendency in the last few years in average churches to devalue individuals' insight and discretion, albeit they can be quite polite about stonewalling. I have a nice attitude (which seems to puzzle them) and I keep up my prayers, lots of them.

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. Get "saved"
2. Join the "church"
3. Tithe
Where we are is just what I believe for today !!

In DANIEL , chapter 2:1 where Nebuchadnezzar had a dream

Daniel , by Christ give to Daniel what that dream was .

#1 It was a golden statue with a Head of GOLD that represents the Kingdom of Nebuchadnessar . verse 38 .

#2 The next kingdom is the world empire of Media- Persia Dan 7:5

#3 The next Kingdom was Alexandra the Great

#4 The next KINDOM was Rome

#5vvThe next Kingdom will be Dan 2:41 which are 10 toes made of Iron and Clay .

And some says that they are the 10 Kingdoms that surround Israel and that some of them ate now attacking Israel today .

When all m TEN ATTACK Israel I believe that what I call the THE DEPARTURE of the BODY OF CHRIST will happen as written in 2 Thess 2:3 , translated , ( FALLING AWAY ) is the Greek word APOSTASIA should come FIRST and then the MAN OF SIN should be Revealed is where I stand today .

dan p

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where we are is just what I believe for today !!

In DANIEL , chapter 2:1 where Nebuchadnezzar had a dream

Daniel , by Christ give to Daniel what that dream was .

#1 It was a golden statue with a Head of GOLD that represents the Kingdom of Nebuchadnessar . verse 38 .

#2 The next kingdom is the world empire of Media- Persia Dan 7:5

#3 The next Kingdom was Alexandra the Great

#4 The next KINDOM was Rome

#5vvThe next Kingdom will be Dan 2:41 which are 10 toes made of Iron and Clay .

And some says that they are the 10 Kingdoms that surround Israel and that some of them ate now attacking Israel today .

When all m TEN ATTACK Israel I believe that what I call the THE DEPARTURE of the BODY OF CHRIST will happen as written in 2 Thess 2:3 , translated , ( FALLING AWAY ) is the Greek word APOSTASIA should come FIRST and then the MAN OF SIN should be Revealed is where I stand today .

dan p
This interpretation completely overlooks all of the other empires after Rome (and some were bigger than the Roman Empire) and skips right to this era. So…….it’s bogus.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Again not a problem

... - I am a Pastor - ... described.
I'm very happy to go to that church as part of my act of worship. Furthermore, that church do do some work for others. But their contrived descriptions or implying of their relation with me was disorientating.
... ( FALLING AWAY ) is the Greek word APOSTASIA should come FIRST and then the MAN OF SIN should be Revealed is where I stand today .

dan p
Prizing apart your many combined thoughts:

I don't think my church have apostasised yet but their indistinctness amounts to not really talking the walk. In 40 years time will their by that time grown-up now young people be vague in faith (for not hearing) like I saw happen in other churches in the last 40 years?

At any rate I don't wait for their permission to pray for them, mostly when on my own.

Man Of Sin embodies in concentrated form works of the flesh which are not of faith.

Both: I do not hold with (amongst other things) the new fangled dispensationist theology of some Levantine politicians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what comes next ?

"So my question is, given that faith is theology come alive, how can I practice as co-theologian among my congregation fellow members?"

can you refrase this part of the question ... as in put it in another way as i am not sure what you are saying ...

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This interpretation completely overlooks all of the other empires after Rome (and some were bigger than the Roman Empire) and skips right to this era. So…….it’s bogus.
So then believe that DANIEL 2:37-45 is really bogus ??

dan p

Upvote 0