Putting events in Revelation in chronological order?

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is your process for putting the events detailed in Revelation in chronological order?

I have none because it would be a waste of time since many sequences resolve in the coming (parouisia) of Christ, which means they are meant to overlap.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is your process for putting the events detailed in Revelation in chronological order?

1. Christ's Olivet Discourse in parallel with the Seals of Rev.6.
2. The events of the seals, trumpets, and vials compared with each other.
3. The Old Testament prophets, especially Isaiah where God gave another view of Revelation events about the end.
4. Events in Daniel that Jesus linked to Revelation and His Olivet Discourse.
5. History comparisons, like the coming Antichrist compared with the "abomination of desolation" event of an idol abomination setup for the end that Jesus linked for the end of this world per His Olivet Discourse.

Upvote 0

iamlamad

Lamad
Jun 8, 2013
Home in Tulsa
✟101,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Another Lazarus said:
Each person has his own interpretation and will defend it with the sound of thunders.

But only one is correct, and that's the only one that matters.

I agree with both of these statements. The problem is, each person is absolutely sure theirs is the correct one!

Upvote 0

iamlamad

Lamad
Jun 8, 2013
Home in Tulsa
✟101,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
That's the big question: Is Revelation meant to be in chronological order?
With seven seals numbered for sequence, seven trumpets numbered for sequence, and seven vials numbered for sequence, not to mention the three woes numbered for sequence, why would anyone think this book would not be in chronological order?
Also John included phrases like "after this" or "after these things" which are sequence words.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Chronological interpretation of the book of revelation leads to a lot of interesting theories. Not too sure why The guy on the throne said He's making everything new immediately after the white throne judgment. Leads to so many causal arguments that are generally disagreed with.

One framework I like to use however is comparing revelation to the creation story in Genesis. The events of the sixth and seventh days seem to be figuratively fleshed out and even the judgment goes in the same sequence.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also John included phrases like "after this" or "after these things" which are sequence words.

After my 21st birthday I had a dream about something that happened when I was 12.

"After this", the next night I had a dream that I was a baby...

If something does not fit the Dispensationalist's timeline, like the time of the judgment of the dead in Revelation 11:18, the Dispensationalist calls it a "parenthesis" to make their doctrine work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It took me about 2 months to do a chronology for Revelation and lining that up with the Olivet Discourse and various OT End Times prophecies. My method was:

1. Prayer.
2. Comparing the texts.
3. Reading tons of articles on Eschatology.
4. Re-arrange the Chronology if necessary based on the Bible.

Could I be wrong? Sure, most definitely. I am only human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are there still martyrs being added from the church age? I speak of the 5th seal. Is that not current events?
Well first of all you should realize the so called "church age" is not. As I recall when I first was converted this was a teaching I received. I was taught the seven churches of Revelation were "church ages". In my own reading and study of scripture, I could not find where these where "church ages". Anyhow, each of the 7 churches supposedly represented a "church age", which scripture doesn't even allude to such an idea of "church ages". The reading of Revelation chapters 2 & 3 clearly shows the seven churches were actual churches that existed then as John was given the prophecy.

The martyrs of the 5th seal begin with the stoning of Stephen (Acts 7). After that period the persecution of the church began to rapidly increase and is read throughout Acts as Saul is converted. James is martyred in Acts 12, followed by Peter's arrest. I'm sure you've read of it...this is the period of the martyrs of Revelation at the 5th seal. Many were martyred over that period

Jesus tells of it in Matthew 24:9-14. It is the persecution of the apostles and believers of the early church which is all through Acts after Stephen is stoned.

I hold that we are currently in the "thousand year reign" right now, and it will end with Christ returning to judge the world.

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The book of Revelation is written as a chiasm. A chiasm is a double list of related items in which the order of the second list is opposite to the order of the first list. If we divide Revelation at the end of chapter 14 into two halves, and then divide each half into separate divisions we can find related pairs of content. These pairs go in opposite directions. It is organized like a mirror image.

The entire book of Revelation shows this concept at work. The first part is called the prologue; it is the introduction and is found in Revelation 1:1-8. The ending is called the epilogue and is found in Revelation 22:8-17.

See The Chiastic Structure of Revelation | Seals, Millennium, Trumpets, Plagues

for a chart that shos this as it will not copy and past as it allows you to hoover over icons and information comes up.

The similarities are not hard fast rules. For instance, there is a warning in the epilogue that isn’t found in the prologue; and Christ’s promise to come again is found only one time in the prologue but twice in the epilogue. The writers of the Bible used their style as a method but never let the method become more important than the message. That is why we can sometimes find some exceptions to these rules. We must also keep in mind that the chapters and verses we use to organize the Bible were not determined when John wrote this book but were added more than a thousand years later.

The chiastic structure divides Revelation into two major groups. The first half deals primarily with the experience of God’s people during the Christian era. This is called the historical half. The second half deals almost exclusively with last day events and is called the eschatological half. The word ” eschatological” comes from the Greek word eschaton, meaning “end.”

The historical half covers all of human history. Therefore, it has not been completely fulfilled yet because not all of Christian history has happened yet. For example, the seventh seal, seventh trumpet, and final scene in the great controversy division are still waiting for their fulfillment. The eschatological half is still to be fulfilled in the future. We can see the inspiration of God in this beautiful demonstration of literary art as well as the love of God who does everything He can to warn us and call us out of the false systems of this world into His marvelous truth.

Upvote 0

Revealing Times

Jun 15, 2016
Clanton Alabama
✟108,106.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Revelation is not in Chronological order UNLESS you take out all of the VISIONS which are meant to help us understand the riddles of the book of Revelation.

So lets take out Rev. chapters 10, (some of 11), 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18 and see if Revelation is in Chronological order now minus the "VISIONS" that help us understand Revelation or "fills in the gaps".

1. Rev. 1-3 is the Asia Minor Churches which represent the Church Age also most think.
2. Rev. 4-5 is the Raptured Church in Heaven, Christ opens the Seals.
3. Rev. 6 is Jesus opening the First Seal and the Anti-Christ comes forth to Conquer/Beast.
4. Rev. 7 is the Fleeing Jews (144,000) hiding in Petra I think and the Raptured Church in Heaven.
5. Rev. 8, 9, (some of 11), 15 and 16 (along with 6) is the 21 Judgments or Seals/Trumpets/Vials.
6. Rev. 19 is the Raptured Church returning with Christ to defeat the Beast and his minions.
7. Rev. 20 is the Beheaded Saints of the Tribulation being Judged and rewarded. (Satan bound)
8. Rev. 21-22 is the New Beginning so to speak.

Now in order to understand the book of Revelation we have to understand how powerful the "Middle of the Week" of Dan. 9:27 is, and why God uses 1260 days, 42 months and a time, times and a half a time. These all four refer to the exact same thing/timing. Its the key to all of the "End Times" and understanding Revelation. I will give an explanation to the above points later on.

Rev. chapter 6 is the key to all of Revelation. Everything has to be understood by starting in the "Middle of the Week" and going forth from there. This is seen in most all of the Visions. Revelation chapter 6 is the center of most all of the "VISION" Chapters I have taken out, now lets put them back.

A. Rev. chapter 10 is the Mystery of Revelation, God told John to swallow the book. (Secret)
B. Rev. chapter 11 kind of makes an announcement that God is taking over. (Has the 2nd Woe)
C. Rev. ch. 12 is about the Jews who Flee (144,000) and the Dragon who chases them/Beast.
D. Rev. ch. 13 is the Anti-Christ coming forth in the Middle of the Week.
E.
Rev. ch. 14 is the Harvest, I see a Rapture Harvest and a Grapes in the Wine-press Harvest.
F. Rev. ch. 17 is the Harlot (False Religion) who is killed off in the Middle of the Week.
G. Rev. ch. 18 is Babylon (World Governments under Satan) whom God starts destroying in the Middle of the Week (Rev. 6) with the Seals, Trumpet and Vial Judgments.

C. Chapter 12 starts in the Middle of the Week (MOTW) and goes 1260 days or infers that.

D. Chapter 13 starts in the Middle of the Week because the Beast Rules for 42 Months !!

F. Rev. 17 is the Beast destroying False Religion in order to become the ONLY GOD. (MOTW)

G. Rev. 18 is Gods Judgment on the Beast/Kingdoms (Babylon) it starts in the (MOTW).

So as we can see, the Middle of the Week is key to all of Revelation. Everything is built around a Seven Year Period of Jacobs Troubles. In the Middle of the Week the Anti-Christ comes to power as the Beast or CONQUEROR OF ISRAEL (42 Months)............The Jews Flee for 1260 Days. Everything is built around the Middle of the Week when the Anti-Christ becomes the BEAST over Jerusalem/Israel for 42 Months.

In order for us to understand Revelation we have to separate the VISIONS and the REAL TIME EVENTS.

1. The Churches of Asia Minor were real Churches many people think Jesus gave us examples of future time periods of the Church throughout the Church Age. I do not know for sure but it just might be true. (REAL TIME EVENT)

Rev. 4 and 5 will be the Church in Heaven praising the Lamb and the Father, then the Lamb is found "WORTHY" to open the Seven Seals which kicks off the Judgments of the world. The Church is in heaven and the world gets their hearts desire, a maniacal leader of the human race. The First Seal is opened, Jesus sends forth the Anti-Christ to Conquer Jerusalem/Israel and he thus becomes the Beast of Rev. ch. 13. He arises out of the Gentile Sea of Nations. (REAL TIME EVENT)

3. Rev. chapter 6 is the KEY CHAPTER in all of Revelation. It is the "Middle of the Week" portion of the book of Revelation. Every plan God has is centered on this chapter. Most of the "VISIONS" are about THIS CHAPTER. Jesus' Wrath is come, he opens the Seals up on mankind. The Anti-Christ is sent forth to Conquer, he Conquers Jerusalem/Israel and becomes the Beast for 42 Months (MOTW) and thus of course Israel FLEES for 1260 days (MOTW).

The other three Horses are all about the Beast/Anti-Christ also. He takes PEACE from the earth because he comes to power by PEACE. In other words he tricks the peoples of the world. There will be much famine and starvation, and much DEATH brought forth by this Man of Sin. Then we see that a fourth part of all mankind will be killed by this tyrant. Who are the people killed? The Church is in Heaven so there goes at least a Billion or more people, maybe 2 billion, that leaves maybe six billion people on earth and a 1/4 of those would be 1.5 Billion deaths !! Who will they be? Those that resist serving/worshiping the Beast as God of course, that will be Muslims and many others (The Harlot) and thus Rev. chapter 17 will be fulfilled, the Harlot will be burned and destroyed. The Church is in Heaven save the REMNANT CHURCH who will be the Beheaded of the 5th Seal. The sixth seal is God using a supernatural force to declare His coming intentions as he kicks Satan out of Heaven (Heaven shaken/untimely figs).

4. The 144,000 is the fullness of Israel or ALL ISRAEL, the Angels hold the plagues back (Hurt not the earth) until the Jews are in their protected zone. (Sealed in their foreheads). Then we see the Church in Heaven starting in verse 9, the "Great Multitude" that came out of the Great Tribulation which I see as the Church Age as in 2000 years is GREATER than the 7 years of Jacobs Troubles. Its the Church in Heaven, not the Beheaded under the Alter who are told to wait.

5. Then we have the rest of the Seals, Trumpets and Vials in Rev. 8, 9, 11, 15 and 16. Its all in PERFECT ORDER, but we had to take out the chapters with the VISIONS in them to get a perfect Chronological order.

Of course Revelation chapters 19-22 is self explanatory. So you see by taking out the VISIONS which are mostly about the MIDDLE OF THE WEEK goings on, we can get a perfect Chronology. Its as of God threw in a curve ball on purpose. Take those chapters out, study it, and see if its not in a perfect Chronological order.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You think that the Book of Revelation needs to be understood or interpreted in chronological order? The answer is NO but this is one of the big mistakes of the pre-tribulation Dispensationalism.

For example, God says something in one chapter and will say the exact same thing, with different symbolic imagery in another chapter. Revelation is in no way chronological in its order of things revealed in imagery. For example, we read Christ is in the church in Revelation 2, the sealing of all Israel ends in Revelation 7, the loosened of the locusts upon men without Seal of God in Revelation 9, and Christ was born and ascended into heaven in Revelation 12.

Sounds like in a chronological order? Hardly!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now in order to understand the book of Revelation we have to understand how powerful the "Middle of the Week" of Dan. 9:27 is, and why God uses 1260 days, 42 months and a time, times and a half a time.

There is no 7 year tribulation period in the Bible.

From the 1599 Geneva Bible, which is the Bible the Pilgrims brought to America.

Dan 9:27 And he shal confirme the couenant with many for one weeke: and in the middes of the weeke he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the ouerspreading of the abominations, he shall make it desolate, euen vntill the consummation determined shalbe powred vpon the desolate.

Daniel 9:27

And he (a) shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to (b) cease, (c) and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

(a) By the preaching of the Gospel he affirmed his promise, first to the Jews, and after to the Gentiles.

(b) Christ accomplished this by his death and resurrection.

(c) Meaning that Jerusalem and the sanctuary would be utterly destroyed because of their rebellion against God, and their idolatry: or as some read, that the plague will be so great, that they will all be astonished at them.

The scriptural reference beside of Daniel 9:27 in my NKJV Bible is Matthew 26:28.
Daniel chapter 9 is about the New Covenant Messiah who would fulfill the New Covenant promised to Israel and Judah in Jeremiah 31:31-34, which is found fulfilled by Christ during the first century in Hebrews 8:6-13, and specifically applied to the Church in Hebrews 12:22-24, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-8.

• Agree
Reactions: LastSeven
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Revelation is an expanded prophecy of the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24, 25...Mark 13, and Luke 21:10-36. It looks at events leading up to the destruction of Jerusalem given to John in visions.
Revelation 1:1 tells us it is given in signs or symbols. This is how the book must be read, but many of the signs/symbols are found in the OT.

A good point to see this is Revelation 12 which is a snapshot of Israel's history. If you look at Revelation 12:1-2, you will find the symbolism this vision in Josephs dream of Genesis, where Jacob is the sun, Rachel is the moon, and the 12 stars are Joseph and his brothers. What we have is the nation Israel, through which Jesus is born.

One has to recall much of the OT to get a good grasp on the signs and symbols of Revelation. To try and make these things literal is to depart from the message of Revelation.

Upvote 0