Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What you're saying is that, just because they came up with a name for it on a certain date, that's when it was made doctrine.
No. The concept was created at that time, drawing inspiration from the statements of a scattering of church leaders in earlier times which dealt with only the sketchiest of ideas about some sort of experience after death that is not heaven or hell.

But Purgatory is a completely fleshed out concept that explains what it is, who goes there, what happens to them there, why they go there, how long it lasts, how that suffering may be moderated by the petitions OR indulgences of the faithful in this life, what justifies shortening the experience (the Treasury of Merit which requires its own definition, etc.) and more. It is not "Purgatory" simply to say there is a place in the afterlife where you get purified. That is like saying the meaning of "America" is it's a piece of soil, period.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. The concept was created at that time, drawing inspiration from the statements of a scattering of church leaders in earlier times which dealt with only the sketchiest of ideas about some sort of experience after death that is not heaven or hell.
I know that's how you see it, but that's not the way it is. But that's just Reformationist.
But Purgatory is a completely fleshed out concept that explains what it is, who goes there, what happens to them there, why they go there, how long it lasts, how that suffering may be moderated by the petitions OR indulgences of the faithful in this life, what justifies shortening the experience (the Treasury of Merit which requires its own definition, etc.) and more. It is not "Purgatory" simply to say there is a place in the afterlife where you get purified. That is like saying the meaning of "America" is it's a piece of soil, period.
Well, I posted what Purgatory is, according to the CCC. Regardless of what theologians or would-be theologians have said it is. Regardless of what some people think it is.
In my own case, and those I know, people just hope to get to purgatory, because they know they'll get to heaven. I, and we, don't speculate how many days off we can get by going on a pilgrimage. We do pray for those in Purgatory, as the Bible says we should pray for the dead. Those dead referenced were sinners, and merited hell for their sin. Prayer doesn't help anyone in hell, so these prayers were for those who died in friendship with God, but were not pure, as required to enter heaven.
So you're criticizing what some people believe, which is your right, I suppose, not what the Church actually teaches, or taught. And yeah, I know there were some pretty powerful people in the hierarchy who were telling people that they could get time off in purgatory if they could see fit to give more money.
We see the same thing today, where German bishops are trying to subvert the pure teaching of the Church by speculating and advocating a married priesthood and reception of communion by remarried Catholics who didn't seek annulment. And many other things. We also see talk of schism because of some of these things. But they aren't in the Catechism and aren't Church teaching.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm taking that harrumpf to be some kind of concession speech. You have a nice day, RoJ.
Searching for somewhere I said 'harrumpf'.
But what I'm saying is that you need to know what the church teaches, not how some people interpret it.
I mean, I've heard of parishes that have a very nice recipe for communion hosts. They contain eggs, sugar and yeast. That's not what the church teaches. But you could have experienced that same church and seen that, and now you'd say 'look! The church has changed her teaching', and you'd be just as wrong as you are now.
I love how you sidestepped when I provided the real teaching of the Church, which says nothing of indulgences in connection with Purgatory. Again, that's just reformationist.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Protestants have changed more ?

And you agree that "Purgatory" is a possible interpretation, consistent with Scripture? Such was evidently the understanding of the earliest Church, yes ?
No, as the Gospel of Pauline Justification renders it as being not needed!

• Optimistic
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No, as the Gospel of Pauline Justification renders it as being not needed!
All of Scripture indicates this. Not only not p. needed, but it is misleading multitudes apparently, causing much harm and distraction from truth.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What ?
Can you clarify?
Catholic apologists cite 1 Corinthians 3:15 in support for the notion of purgatory, some sort of fiery burning away of sin prior to admittance into heaven

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Catholic apologists cite 1 Corinthians 3:15 in support for the notion of purgatory, some sort of fiery burning away of sin prior to admittance into heaven
Exactly. Some people think all the trappings that have been supposed are part of the doctrine, but not really.
I am experiencing the death of my wife, and some in my family have traditionally prayed about a 45 minute liturgy every day after a loved one's death for 40 days. So, in this case, taking the burning away of sin prior to admittance into Heaven with all the other practices people think are necessary to the idea of purgatory is like praying these 40 days devotions for the soul of a loved one.
Much of it is not wrong, just as praying for the dead is not wrong at all, but some practices surrounding them are not doctrinally necessary.
Purgatory is meant to be exactly what 1 Corinthians 3:15 says.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So then , in answer to your previous query, no. The Apostle Paul would have exposed that, not agreed with it, likewise all the Apostles and teachers in union with the apostles in the first century.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0