Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do not have a view on Purgatory. I have some knowledge of what the RCC teaches as compared to the Word of God.

That being the case, there is no such thing as Purgatory as its teaching is not found in the Bible in any place.

Well, it can be seen in the Bible if one is open to seeing it. If a man decides he does not want there to be a purgatory, he can interpret Scripture to support his desires. This is the way with all faulty interpretations of Scripture - even the most outrageous heretics can claim "Biblical support" for their desired "gospel", the "jesus" they want to claim.

In any event, the fact that you cannot find it in the Bible does not prove its non-existence. Because a man cannot find gold in Alaska does not mean there is none there. It only means he has not found any, yet.

But most importantly, nowhere in Scripture does God claim that God has declared everything to be in Scripture that He wants man to know. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit - not a book - to guide His Church "into all the Truth." (Jn 16:13)

• Winner
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not have a view on Purgatory. I have some knowledge of what the RCC teaches as compared to the Word of God.

That being the case, there is no such thing as Purgatory as its teaching is not found in the Bible in any place.

Major....you should do a little research on pergatory, just make sure you have plenty of pepto- bismol on hand.I literally could not finish reading what I beheld. It broke my heart. It reduces the value of the Blood of our Savior to that of a goat.They don’t even see it. “ by your traditions you make void the word of God.” It is truly awful.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Major....you should do a little research on pergatory, just make sure you have plenty of pepto- bismol on hand.I literally could not finish reading what I beheld. It broke my heart. It reduces the value of the Blood of our Savior to that of a goat.They don’t even see it. “ by your traditions you make void the word of God.” It is truly awful.

My brother, you are correct and honestly and I can not go into detail here, but I am aware of what you are saying.

You are welcome to PM me if you would like.

Do a goggle search on "Catholic Indulgences" and see what jumps out at you.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, it can be seen in the Bible if one is open to seeing it. If a man decides he does not want there to be a purgatory, he can interpret Scripture to support his desires. This is the way with all faulty interpretations of Scripture - even the most outrageous heretics can claim "Biblical support" for their desired "gospel", the "jesus" they want to claim.

In any event, the fact that you cannot find it in the Bible does not prove its non-existence. Because a man cannot find gold in Alaska does not mean there is none there. It only means he has not found any, yet.

But most importantly, nowhere in Scripture does God claim that God has declared everything to be in Scripture that He wants man to know. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit - not a book - to guide His Church "into all the Truth." (Jn 16:13)

No sir, that simply is not true and I say that with all due respect.

Anyone, Christian and pagan alike can cherry pick the Bible and make it say whatever they want it to say, but to say that Purgatory is in the Bible if we want to see it is incorrect.

The opposite is truth. IF YOU want to believe that it is there YOU will manufacture it by forecing Scripture to say what YOU want them to say.

That is very wrong exegesis and will lead to disaster and very wrong thelology.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My brother, you are correct and honestly and I can not go into detail here, but I am aware of what you are saying.

You are welcome to PM me if you would like.

Do a goggle search on "Catholic Indulgences" and see what jumps out at you.[/QUOT

Thanks.....I think.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Nonsense.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No sir, that simply is not true and I say that with all due respect.

Anyone, Christian and pagan alike can cherry pick the Bible and make it say whatever they want it to say, but to say that Purgatory is in the Bible if we want to see it is incorrect.

The opposite is truth. IF YOU want to believe that it is there YOU will manufacture it by forecing Scripture to say what YOU want them to say.

That is very wrong exegesis and will lead to disaster and very wrong thelology.
What you diagnose/conclude is not my experience. I was a "former Catholic" who became a non-Catholic sola-scriptura Christian, who rejected (along with most Catholic beliefs) purgatory. After some years, I was pressed by God, the Holy Spirit, to return to the one Catholic Church because primarily "I had become part of the problem, not the solution" to the chaos that has so confused the one Truth of the one Gospel:
Eph 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call,
Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all.

After I returned, I began to study two things very carefully:
1) the Catholic doctrines. I wanted to know, clearly, exactly what the Church teaches and why.
2) Holy Scripture. I wanted to know, as clearly as I could, exactly what Scripture affirms and what it rejects.

I then began to see, and unambiguously, very clearly, purgatory in Holy Scripture.

And I learned the (literally) incredible power and influence of personal human bias in exegesis and in church doctrines. Men see what they want to see. The heart overrides the mind, for good or for evil.

Mt 6:22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light;
Mt 6:23 but if your eye is not sound, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
Mt 6:24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What you diagnose/conclude is not my experience. I was a "former Catholic" who became a non-Catholic sola-scriptura Christian, who rejected (along with most Catholic beliefs) purgatory. After some years, I was pressed by God, the Holy Spirit, to return to the one Catholic Church because primarily "I had become part of the problem, not the solution" to the chaos that has so confused the one Truth of the one Gospel:
Eph 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call,
Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all.

After I returned, I began to study two things very carefully:
1) the Catholic doctrines. I wanted to know, clearly, exactly what the Church teaches and why.
2) Holy Scripture. I wanted to know, as clearly as I could, exactly what Scripture affirms and what it rejects.

I then began to see, and unambiguously, very clearly, purgatory in Holy Scripture.

And I learned the (literally) incredible power and influence of personal human bias in exegesis and in church doctrines. Men see what they want to see. The heart overrides the mind, for good or for evil.

Mt 6:22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light;
Mt 6:23 but if your eye is not sound, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
Mt 6:24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
I hate to see that my friend.

As for me, I have spent my years trying to understand the Scriptures as well and you are correct, people will see what they want to see.

As for Purgatory, you believe as you wish but in all my years of study and even today as I look again at them, I can not in any way see Purgatory mentioned.

You see, if there was such a thing, it would diminish the work of Jesus Christ and in effect place our salvation in our hands. WE would have to do good or pay a penny to get out of a place our sins placed us in.

Then of course, WHO is the one who decides that the bill is paid???? The Church????
The Pope???

Come on now. Does that make any sense at all to you? How would anyone know the price to be paid?

PLEASE do yourself a favor and investigate the tradition. Go and use google and look it up for yourself. It is not hard at all to find all of this oput. You will find that it is not a Catholic tradition but actually came from the Greek philosophers Plato in particular.
Is that what you want to place your eternal soul in???

Of course it is your choice.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

As for Purgatory, you believe as you wish but in all my years of study and even today as I look again at them, I can not in any way see Purgatory mentioned.

You see, if there was such a thing, it would diminish the work of Jesus Christ and in effect place our salvation in our hands. WE would have to do good or pay a penny to get out of a place our sins placed us in.

Of course "purgatory" is not mentioned by name - the word merely refers to the supernatural, spiritual work of purification of the soul - the "purging" of desires and loves for things not worthy or welcomed in heaven, in the Beatific Presence of the all-holy God. This purging work is the work of God: He purifies the soul, the soul does nothing of itself or on its own. The soul can only regret and grieve that it failed fully to use the superabundant grace poured out upon it by Christ, through His holy Cross.

So it is not the case that this "in effect places our salvation in our hands." We are saved (if we are saved) by the grace of Christ, we are empowered to live and do good works only in and by His grace, and IF we fail to fully live by His grace, but cling to loves of this world and of the things of this world, and if we continue in such a mixture of loves, "God and Mammon," to our death, then we will stand before Him in need of such purification that we failed to accomplish with His grace before death. Thus purgatory is God's "plan B". "Plan A" is repent fully, die to this world and live faithfully, and die in His grace. Plan A is the straight path to heaven.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course "purgatory" is not mentioned by name - the word merely refers to the supernatural, spiritual work of purification of the soul - the "purging" of desires and loves for things not worthy or welcomed in heaven, in the Beatific Presence of the all-holy God. This purging work is the work of God: He purifies the soul, the soul does nothing of itself or on its own. The soul can only regret and grieve that it failed fully to use the superabundant grace poured out upon it by Christ, through His holy Cross.

So it is not the case that this "in effect places our salvation in our hands." We are saved (if we are saved) by the grace of Christ, we are empowered to live and do good works only in and by His grace, and IF we fail to fully live by His grace, but cling to loves of this world and of the things of this world, and if we continue in such a mixture of loves, "God and Mammon," to our death, then we will stand before Him in need of such purification that we failed to accomplish with His grace before death. Thus purgatory is God's "plan B". "Plan A" is repent fully, die to this world and live faithfully, and die in His grace. Plan A is the straight path to heaven.

Purgatory is not mentioned in word and neither is it suggested in thought.
There is in fact NO mention of a "purging" of sins.
There is NO mention of a plan "B".

There is however faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as the propitiation of our sins. He and only He is the mediator between God and man and there is NO possible method or process by which man purges himself.

IF it was anywhere in the Bible then you and those who believe in it would already have posted it several times. Since that has yet to happen speaks to the fact that there is NO such thing!

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hate to see that my friend.

As for me, I have spent my years trying to understand the Scriptures as well and you are correct, people will see what they want to see.

Then of course, WHO is the one who decides that the bill is paid???? The Church????
The Pope???

Come on now. Does that make any sense at all to you? How would anyone know the price to be paid?

PLEASE do yourself a favor and investigate the tradition. Go and use google and look it up for yourself. It is not hard at all to find all of this oput. You will find that it is not a Catholic tradition but actually came from the Greek philosophers Plato in particular.
Is that what you want to place your eternal soul in???

Of course it is your choice.

A sickening,unbiblical fairy tale clung to by those who never realize and therefore make worthless the Blood of Christ. I suspect Satan is very proud of this delusion that has sent countless people to hell.” Who needs Jesus ? I’ll just work off those sins in Purgatory “

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,414.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a homework assignment for our friends will reject purgatory.

Please tell us all when the first protest against the idea of purgatory was held. Anyone who is aware of Christian history knows it is full of heresies, protests, and Church Council anathemas. Please let us all know when the first great movement against the idea of the soul needing purging started and how it ended.

It is EXTREMELY EVIDENT that the Church Fathers believed in the need for purging after death. Many of the writings pre-date the Bible canon of 393 AD. The Bible itself explicitly demonstrates that same need for purging.

So, between 400 and 1500, please tell us about someone(s) who challenged the need for purification.

Clock starts now!

Hint: Maybe there was no serious challenge until the protestant reformation. But you are free to let us all know otherwise.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have a homework assignment for our friends will reject purgatory.

Please tell us all when the first protest against the idea of purgatory was held. Anyone who is aware of Christian history knows it is full of heresies, protests, and Church Council anathemas. Please let us all know when the first great movement against the idea of the soul needing purging started and how it ended.

It is EXTREMELY EVIDENT that the Church Fathers believed in the need for purging after death. Many of the writings pre-date the Bible canon of 393 AD. The Bible itself explicitly demonstrates that same need for purging.

So, between 400 and 1500, please tell us about someone(s) who challenged the need for purification.

Clock starts now!

Hint: Maybe there was no serious challenge until the protestant reformation. But you are free to let us all know otherwise.

Why start at 400? Why not the earliest fathers? I think you know why and it's because with the possible exception of Tertullian (Late second to early third century if memory serves) one will not find such teaching that can be described as purgatory. I'll accept your challenge if I can include the earliest fathers. And I mean Purgatory and the notion of satis passio.

Also, are you really saying there was no canon before 393? What reputable scholar has this position? What sources from the early church state such an idea? That statement exposes what can only be described as ignorance regarding the development of the biblical canon both old and new Testaments.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,414.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why start at 400?
Round number only. Using the 3 councils: Rome (382), Hippos (393), and Carthage (397) I thought 400 would suffice.

Why not the earliest fathers? I think you know why and it's because with the possible exception of Tertullian (Late second to early third century if memory serves) one will not find such teaching that can be described as purgatory.
Here is a partial list: Abercius: 190, The Martyrdom of Perpetua and Felicity 202, Tertullian 211, Cyprian 253, Cyril 350, Gregory of Nyssa 382, Chrysostom 392, Augustine 411. Research will expose many more. All these wrote of helping the suffering of those who have past on. These are explicit references to a purging after death.

Also, are you really saying there was no canon before 393?
Nope. I chose 393 for brevity. Also, I wanted to have a start date for our SS friends so I chose 400 AD.

That statement exposes what can only be described as ignorance regarding the development of the biblical canon both old and new Testaments.
The bible canon is not the discussion here. As I said I chose the date for brevity and to accommodate our SS friends. You are missing the point. Are you trying to derail the main point of my challenge?

So to review:
1. Before 400 AD: Church Fathers write extensively about purging/suffering after death and what the living can do to ease the purging/suffering. All this writing happens before the Bible Canon is established by the 3 Councils noted above.
2. The Bible Canon is settled by the 3 Councils noted above. The Bible contains explicit references to purging/paying debt after death.
3. After 400 AD: Church Fathers continue to write about the need for purging after death.

So, between 400 and 1500, where is the any evidence that anyone rejected what the Church Fathers taught and what the Bible teaches? The Church Fathers and the Bible are in agreement. And the Universal Church accepted the idea of purging after death all the way up to the year 1500 (and up until present day).

So, where is there any evidence of disagreement within the Church about the need for purging after death prior to 1,500?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Rather than engaging in debate, I'm seeing a lot of insults coming from certain people. I'm not particularly fond of a certain comment which claims the doctrine of purgatory has sent "countless people to hell". The only reason it "has sent countless people to hell" is because we can't count how many people have gone to hell, and for what. In other words, it would be just as valid for me to say that belief in sola fide has sent countless people to hell. No, I can't prove this or list off the names of those people who are in hell for this belief- and neither can you do so for the belief in purgatory!

Personally, I'm going to prefer the early Church teaching to the one men came up with a millennia later.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Round number only. Using the 3 councils: Rome (382), Hippos (393), and Carthage (397) I thought 400 would suffice.

Here is a partial list: Abercius: 190, The Martyrdom of Perpetua and Felicity 202, Tertullian 211, Cyprian 253, Cyril 350, Gregory of Nyssa 382, Chrysostom 392, Augustine 411. Research will expose many more. All these wrote of helping the suffering of those who have past on. These are explicit references to a purging after death.

Nope. I chose 393 for brevity. Also, I wanted to have a start date for our SS friends so I chose 400 AD.

The bible canon is not the discussion here. As I said I chose the date for brevity and to accommodate our SS friends. You are missing the point. Are you trying to derail the main point of my challenge?

So to review:
1. Before 400 AD: Church Fathers write extensively about purging/suffering after death and what the living can do to ease the purging/suffering. All this writing happens before the Bible Canon is established by the 3 Councils noted above.
2. The Bible Canon is settled by the 3 Councils noted above. The Bible contains explicit references to purging/paying debt after death.
3. After 400 AD: Church Fathers continue to write about the need for purging after death.

So, between 400 and 1500, where is the any evidence that anyone rejected what the Church Fathers taught and what the Bible teaches? The Church Fathers and the Bible are in agreement. And the Universal Church accepted the idea of purging after death all the way up to the year 1500 (and up until present day).

So, where is there any evidence of disagreement within the Church about the need for purging after death prior to 1,500?

To answer your last questions first, no because one cannot argue against a doctrine that did not exist yet. And I agree, let us not address canon issues here though I would be delighted to discuss them in the future. All scripture quotations are from the NASB the Brenton translation of the Septuagint (LXX)

“The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire: As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before Final Judgement, there is a purifying fire” (The Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 1031)

I included in my response the relevant section of the most recent Catechism of the Catholic Church. This definition I will demonstrate is not found in the pages of Scripture nor in the Church fathers you have citied.

I do not think that you have read the sources you have cited. For one, Abercius is a gravestone inscription that is requesting prayers for himself. The text we have says nothing about a suffering or purging of sin in the afterlife. My issue isn’t with prayers for the dead rather it is the doctrine of purgatory.

Please cite orthodox sources only. This is a Montanist work or at the very least the editor is Montanist. Citing heretical and heterodox sources lessens your credibility

I believe the citation you are using is from The Crown Chapter 3. Again, this is asking for prayers for the departed on the anniversary of their passing. Again, no mention of a purging of sin after death.

Cyprian is an interesting study. The relevant passage is from his 51st epistle 20th paragraph. The epistle is laying out his defense of dealing more mildly with the lapsed Christians who buckled under persecution and his opposition to Novationism. Here Cyprian begins the paragraph with a series of comparisons of which one mentions a purgation by fire. The context is how does the church allow the re-admission of the lapsed (lapsi) and the apostate without denigrating the martyrs. It is not a discussion of soteriology.

Cyril of Jerusalem in Mystagogic is describing prayers for the dead, but also specifically mentions the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ as their saving mechanism, not purging by fire expiating punishment due sin.

I own a multi-volume work of Chrysostom and I cannot find anything resembling even by a stretch a reference to purging or purification by fire. Could you provide a citation? Any of the sorting conventions of his works will do. I see that he mentions the practice of praying for the dead but nothing about purging or purification by fire.

Gregory of Nyssa only text I can find where he comes close is his catechism chapter 35. He mentions fire and water as being purifying but the greater context is in a discussion of baptism. Again, no reference to a state after death where purging fire is used to expiate punishment for sin.

Which brings us to Augustine. Of the fathers you have mentioned only Augustine teaches something that can be described as purgatory however he is unsettled in the matter. He is most unsettled in the Enchiridion of Faith Hope and Charity. In City of God he is much more direct on purgatorial fire but as you know that puts us into the 400’s.

If the fathers wrote extensively on the purgation or purging by fire as defined by Rome I quoted above, then you have failed to demonstrate your case. Furthermore, you failed to cite specific writings of the fathers you did cite (orthodox ones at least). Simply citing names does not demonstrate that the teaching of purgatory is found in their writings.

You also stated that the Bible teaches purgatory. This too is false. You did not provide citation so once again I have done your homework for you

2 Maccabees 12:39-45 (This text is disputed canon but I have included it because I know it is referenced as a proof text by Rome).

2Ma 12:38 So Judas gathered his host, and came into the city of Odollam, And when the seventh day came, they purified themselves, as the custom was, and kept the sabbath in the same place.

2Ma 12:39 And upon the day following, as the use had been, Judas and his company came to take up the bodies of them that were slain, and to bury them with their kinsmen in their fathers' graves.

2Ma 12:40 Now under the coats of every one that was slain they found things consecrated to the idols of the Jamnites, which is forbidden the Jews by the law. Then every man saw that this was the cause wherefore they were slain.

2Ma 12:41 All men therefore praising the Lord, the righteous Judge, who had opened the things that were hid,

2Ma 12:42 Betook themselves unto prayer, and besought him that the sin committed might wholly be put out of remembrance. Besides, that noble Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves from sin, forsomuch as they saw before their eyes the things that came to pass for the sins of those that were slain.

2Ma 12:43 And when he had made a gathering throughout the company to the sum of two thousand drachms of silver, he sent it to Jerusalem to offer a sin offering, doing therein very well and honestly, in that he was mindful of the resurrection:

2Ma 12:44 For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should have risen again, it had been superfluous and vain to pray for the dead.

2Ma 12:45 And also in that he perceived that there was great favor laid up for those that died godly, it was an holy and good thought. Whereupon he made a reconciliation for the dead, that they might be delivered from sin. (Brenton LXX)

You will notice the men slain were guilty of Idolatry which is why they were slain in the first place. As far as I know idolatry is still considered mortal sin by Rome, so this makes the above passage so troubling when it is shoehorned into service for the cause of purgatory.

The next passage I offer here cited is Matt 12:32. Here is the relevant passage:

Mat 12:32 "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (NASB)

At first reading it appears that the text suggests sins can be forgiven the age to come. However, this issue is easily cleared up as the parallel passage is Mar 3:28-29:

Mar 3:28 "Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;

Mar 3:29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"—

Mark clears up the confusion by the statement “Eternal sin”. And that is the point Matthew is making; such sin is eternally unforgivable. Once reading pits one section of one gospel against another and the other makes harmony between the said passages.

Lastly, are perhaps the best biblical evidence that is marshaled in defense of purgatory is that of 1 Cor chapter 3.

Divisions in the Church

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.

1Co 3:2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able,

1Co 3:3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?

1Co 3:4 For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not mere men?

1Co 3:5 What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one.

1Co 3:6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.

1Co 3:7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.

1Co 3:8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

1Co 3:9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.

1Co 3:11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1Co 3:12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,

1Co 3:13 each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.

1Co 3:14 If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.

1Co 3:15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1Co 3:17 If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

1Co 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, he must become foolish, so that he may become wise.

1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God. For it is written, "He is THE ONE WHO CATCHES THE WISE IN THEIR CRAFTINESS";

1Co 3:20 and again, "THE LORD KNOWS THE REASONINGS of the wise, THAT THEY ARE USELESS."

1Co 3:21 So then let no one boast in men. For all things belong to you,

1Co 3:22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or things present or things to come; all things belong to you,

1Co 3:23 and you belong to Christ; and Christ belongs to God. (NASB)

It appears at first glance it appears this may be speaking of purgatory. However, let us apply the three basic rules of biblical interpretation

1. Context

2. Context

3. Context

The immediate context per the preceding verses is that Paul planted the church (V.6) and Apollos watered. Any man refers to those who are teachers and leaders in the church building upon said foundation. Their work is tested, not purified as gold and silver are already pure and those being tested are church leaders. The any man in v 12 and each man in v 13 are still referring to church leaders. There is no cause to believe that the referent has changed since v 11.

The problem you are going to keep running into with this and other issues is that because the early church did not teach the doctrines that Rome teaches now one must anachronistically read modern Roman teaching back into the writings of the fathers and into scripture. So, any reference of praying for the dead is then shoehorned into Rome’s teaching of purgatory. It then ignores the context or what the Fathers where really teaching for the sake of patristic proof texting.

So, let’s turn to see what scripture has to say about the matter. It is still the earliest source of what the early church believed and taught.

Joh 5:24 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

If there was an intermediate state wouldn’t the LORD said something about it?

Col 2:13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions,

Col 2:14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

Col 2:15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.

He canceled out the debt owed from us. That’s the Good News, right?

Or this

Heb 1:3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Heb 1:4 having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.

Or this

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Or lastly (for brevity. . . ok feel free to poke fun at me here).

Heb 10:14 For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

Who does the sanctifying? He, that is Christ.

In conclusion neither Scripture nor the Fathers to year 400 teach what you assert. In fact, the definition I gave at the outset is in fact honest in its development. I do not mean that prior to the council of Florence no one believed in purgatory but rather it was systematized. It has been asserted by some that purgatory is an effect of Greek philosophy influencing the Church. I don’t know if that is true, but it is clear to me and that something external began to have an influence and purgatory was just one of those resulting developments. I agree, Rome has an ancient pedigree. I for one am thankful for her witness over the centuries on key doctrines such as the Holy Trinity, resisting the endless theologizing of the East and so on. My issue while Rome is indeed ancient, she’s not ancient enough. Point to one person present at the Council of Nicaea that believed in purgatory. You won’t find it because it didn’t exist as a doctrine yet. There in lies Rome’s greatest weakness. Everyone of the delegates at the council of Nicaea would be today condemned as heretics by Rome. That is why I cannot accept Rome’s pronouncements ex cathedra or otherwise. It would have been better for you to take the position that you believe in the development hypothesis like Cardinal Newman that attempt to use the fathers. Ultimate it would still be incorrect but at least its somewhat defensible.

x

• Winner
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To answer your last questions first, no because one cannot argue against a doctrine that did not exist yet. And I agree, let us not address canon issues here though I would be delighted to discuss them in the future. All scripture quotations are from the NASB the Brenton translation of the Septuagint (LXX)

The next passage I offer here cited is Matt 12:32. Here is the relevant passage:
Mat 12:32 "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (NASB)

At first reading it appears that the text suggests sins can be forgiven the age to come. However, this issue is easily cleared up as the parallel passage is Mar 3:28-29:

Mar 3:28 "Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;

Mar 3:29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"—

Mark clears up the confusion by the statement “Eternal sin”. And that is the point Matthew is making; such sin is eternally unforgivable.

Lastly, are perhaps the best biblical evidence that is marshaled in defense of purgatory is that of 1 Cor chapter 3.

Divisions in the Church

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.

1Co 3:2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able,

1Co 3:3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?

1Co 3:4 For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not mere men?

1Co 3:5 What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one.

1Co 3:6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.

1Co 3:7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.

1Co 3:8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

1Co 3:11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1Co 3:12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,

1Co 3:13 each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.

It appears at first glance it appears this may be speaking of purgatory. However, let us apply the three basic rules of biblical interpretation

1. Context

2. Context

3. Context

The immediate context per the preceding verses is that Paul planted the church (V.6) and Apollos watered. Any man refers to those who are teachers and leaders in the church building upon said foundation. .......
x

Greetings, Athanasius377

I trimmed down your very lengthy exposition, to try to address the three most relevant and significant passages you addressed, and your significant errors of interpretation which cause you to misunderstand the references to purgatory.

1)
and
in no way contradict one another! Mt says "sins" can be forgiven in this age, but one sin cannot be forgiven, not now nor "in the age to come." Mk says that one sin is "an eternal sin" - unforgivable. Both evangelists say the same thing. The one unforgivable sin is not forgiven now or later (in purgatory). Other sins can be, either now or then. How do you see a contradiction here? Purgatory is affirmed.

2) The 1 Cor passage is speaking not merely of particular "leaders", he is speaking of the Body of Christ - all members of the Church:
1Co 3:11 For no man can lay a foundation ...
1Co 3:12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,...
1Co 3:13 each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it ....
1Co 3:14 If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives,...
1Co 3:15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved,....
1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?
1Co 3:17 If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.
1Co 3:18 Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.

Paul is clearly, in the context, speaking to and of the whole "temple", all the members of the Body. Purgatory is very clearly described and explained. Impure works - from impure hearts - are unworthy of the holiness of heaven and require the purification of supernatural "fire."

The question I would ask you is, why is this doctrine so (for lack of a better word) "unacceptable" to you that you find "evidence" against it that does not stand?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings, Athanasius377

I trimmed down your very lengthy exposition, to try to address the three most relevant and significant passages you addressed, and your significant errors of interpretation which cause you to misunderstand the references to purgatory.

1)
and
in no way contradict one another! Mt says "sins" can be forgiven in this age, but one sin cannot be forgiven, not now nor "in the age to come." Mk says that one sin is "an eternal sin" - unforgivable. Both evangelists say the same thing. The one unforgivable sin is not forgiven now or later (in purgatory). Other sins can be, either now or then. How do you see a contradiction here? Purgatory is affirmed.

2) The 1 Cor passage is speaking not merely of particular "leaders", he is speaking of the Body of Christ - all members of the Church:
1Co 3:11 For no man can lay a foundation ...
1Co 3:12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,...
1Co 3:13 each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it ....
1Co 3:14 If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives,...
1Co 3:15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved,....
1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?
1Co 3:17 If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.
1Co 3:18 Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.

Paul is clearly, in the context, speaking to and of the whole "temple", all the members of the Body. Purgatory is very clearly described and explained. Impure works - from impure hearts - are unworthy of the holiness of heaven and require the purification of supernatural "fire."

The question I would ask you is, why is this doctrine so (for lack of a better word) "unacceptable" to you that you find "evidence" against it that does not stand?

A better question would be......why is this RCC teaching so important and acceptable to you that you would manufacture evidence for its existence?

The unpardonable sin is UN-FORGIVNESS! The rejection of the Lord Jesus Christ is the eternal sin that sends all unbelievers to the lake of fire......NOT Purgatory as there is no such thing.

Not one single verse that you posted applies to or suggests a place or a situation where man has to work of his sins. NOT ONE!

Again, why work so hard to prove something that does not exist?

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Mike Alexander

Dec 31, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟8,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Gospel of Matthew 12:31 Therefore I say to you: Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but the blasphemy of the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 12:32 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

Forgiveness in the world to come? Evidently sins can be forgiven in the world to come. Since nothing unclean can enter Heaven, the world to come cannot be Heaven. Since Hell is eternal punishment, the world to come cannot be Hell. What is this third place? This is a pretty explicit reference to a place we call purgatory.

Another reference to a place of purging is in the
Gospel of Luke: 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in the day that he hopeth not, and at the hour that he knoweth not: and shall separate him and shall appoint him his portion with unbelievers. 12:47 And that servant, who knew the will of his lord and prepared not himself and did not according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
12:48 But he that knew not and did things worthy of stripes shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0