Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Deuteronomy is referring to consulting with spirits. Prayers for intercession and supplication are not consulting. Consulting is seeking advice or guidance. It’s a two way conversation.

That is not what I said. I said that praying to the dead..... IT OPENS THE DOOR to Spiritualism and séances and witchcraft which are strictly forbidden by the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The verses that are mentioning communicating with the dead are referring to witchcraft. Prayers are not witchcraft or sorcery.

That is not correct now is it????

Deut. 18:10-12................
"There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, or anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. "

Witchcraft is only one of many things we are told not to do.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is not correct now is it????

Deut. 18:10-12................
"There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, or anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. "

Witchcraft is only one of many things we are told not to do.

Ok let’s break it down and remove all the irrelevant components and read it with only what pertains to our discussion.

“There shall not be found with thee any one that maketh his son or his daughter one that useth a consulter with a familiar spirit.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭18:10-11‬

Praying to saints is not using a consulter with familiar spirits. The definition of consult is
  1. to seek advice or information from; ask guidance from:

2. to refer to for information

Prayers for intercession and supplication are not seeking advice, information, or council. Consulting would be a two way communication where the person seeking information and would be directly communicating and receiving information or advice from spirits in the afterlife. Also given the context in the verse referring to oracles, sorcery, witchcraft, and mediums is another indication that the person would be using some type of magic or spells to communicate with spirits. So since people aren’t actually seeking council or two way communication or using any type of magic or spells technically prayers to saints doesn’t fall into this category.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you all think it will take for posters to understand the difference between traditions and what, in theology, is an alternative to the Bible that has been dubbed Sacred Tradition by its advocates?

Purgatory is not a tradition friend. The church did not teach it before the schism in 1054 which is why the Orthodox and Oriental churches don’t teach it. Purgatory was invented in 1439.

Oh and by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok let’s break it down and remove all the irrelevant components and read it with only what pertains to our discussion.

“There shall not be found with thee any one that maketh his son or his daughter one that useth a consulter with a familiar spirit.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭18:10-11‬

Praying to saints is not using a consulter with familiar spirits. The definition of consult is
  1. to seek advice or information from; ask guidance from:

2. to refer to for information

Prayers for intercession and supplication are not seeking advice, information, or council. Consulting would be a two way communication where the person seeking information and would be directly communicating and receiving information or advice from spirits in the afterlife. Also given the context in the verse referring to oracles, sorcery, witchcraft, and mediums is another indication that the person would be using some type of magic or spells to communicate with spirits. So since people aren’t actually seeking council or two way communication or using any type of magic or spells technically prayers to saints doesn’t fall into this category.

Bless your heart but once again you are NOT considering what I actually said.

I said......"It opens the DOOR".

I am saying that the possibility exists that when anyone begins praying to the dead, they can be tempted to become involved in the Occult which is what Deut. is telling us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, so you’re relying on the traditions of men then, I see.

NOPE. Just my own country boy thinking which is not, never has been and never will be made into church doctrine as is the Traditions of Your Catholic church.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Purgatory is not a tradition friend. The church did not teach it before the schism in 1054 which is why the Orthodox and Oriental churches don’t teach it. Purgatory was invented in 1439.

Oh and by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

BOOM!....There it is!

You are completely correct and I hope ALL the RCC believers read what you just posted........"PURGATORY WAS INVENTED IN 1439'.

I have said that now about 50 times on this forum!

The RCC INVENTED Purgatory and it is NO WHERE to be found in the Scriptures!

In every pagan religious system, except that of the New Testament, the doctrine of purgatory after death and prayers for the dead have always found a place.

In Greece the doctrine of a purgatory was taught by the very chief of the philosophers. Thus Plato, speaking of the future judgment of the dead, holds out the hope of final deliverance for all, but maintains that, of "those who are judged," some must first "proceed to a subterranean place of judgment, where they shall sustain the punishment they have deserved." In pagan Rome, purgatory was also held up before the minds of men.

In Egypt, substantially the same doctrine of purgatory was taught. But once this doctrine of purgatory was admitted into the popular mind, then the door was opened to all manner of priestly extortions. Prayers for the dead can be completely efficacious without the priest as intermediary and no priestly functions can be rendered unless there be special pay for them. Therefore, in every land we find the pagan priesthood "devouring widow's houses," and making merchandise of the tender feelings of sorrowing relatives sensitively alive to the immortal happiness of their be loved dead.

The doctrine of purgatory is purely pagan, and cannot for a moment stand in the light of Scripture. For those who die in Christ no purgatory is or can be needed; for "the blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son, cleanseth from all sin." If this be true, where can there be the need for any other cleansing?

The Pagan Origin of Purgatory

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
NOPE. Just my own country boy thinking which is not, never has been and never will be made into church doctrine as is the Traditions of Your Catholic church.

If your relying on the Bible I would say your relying directly on the word of God. The RCC doesn’t like it when people do that. It cuts out the middleman.

• Winner
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If your relying on the Bible I would say your relying directly on the word of God. The RCC doesn’t like it when people do that. It cuts out the middleman.

You are absolutely correct and that is and has always been the problem between Catholics and Protestants and I suspect that it always will be.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you all think it will take for posters to understand the difference between traditions and what, in theology, is an alternative to the Bible that has been dubbed Sacred Tradition by its advocates?

Happy Birthday!

What do I think it will take..........Getting truly saved!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ah, so it is traditions of men then, I see...

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, so it is traditions of men then, I see...

I guess you did not read my response to your question.............

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I guess you did not read my response to your question.............
Traditions of country boys, we’ll call it that then. Looks like you abide by the traditions of country boys.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, so you’re relying on the traditions of men then, I see.

It’s funny how only the Roman Catholic Church believes in this “tradition” out of all Christianity. They are completely alone in this idea of purgatory.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0