Purgatory and Sin Offerings?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It’s funny how only the Roman Catholic Church believes in this “tradition” out of all Christianity. They are completely alone in this idea of purgatory.
Well, “alone” is a relative concept considering there are a billion of us worldwide.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, “alone” is a relative concept considering there are a billion of us worldwide.

Ok a billion who believe purgatory and how many Christians that don’t?

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1.2 billion, actually, as per
Catholic Church by country - Wikipedia

I would assume that includes Eastern Catholics in addition to Roman Catholics but I didn’t study the numbers in laborious detail.

I thought that might be the case. So the Eastern Catholics would have to be subtracted from that number but it’s not really about the number of believers but more about the number of apostolic churches. Which would be 2 to 1 against the teaching of purgatory.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought that might be the case. So the Eastern Catholics would have to be subtracted from that number but it’s not really about the number of believers but more about the number of apostolic churches. Which would be 2 to 1 against the teaching of purgatory.
Um, why do Eastern Catholics need to be subtracted? They’re Catholic and in communion with the Pope. They’re not part of the Roman Rite but there are other Rites in the Catholic Church, you know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Um, why do Eastern Catholics need to be subtracted? They’re Catholic and in communion with the Pope. They’re not part of the Roman Rite but there are other Rites in the Catholic Church, you know.

The Eastern churches are not in full communion with the pope. The Oriental Church does not teach purgatory and the Orthodox Church is nowhere even close to communion with the pope. They also do not teach purgatory.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1.2 billion, actually, as per
Catholic Church by country - Wikipedia

I would assume that includes Eastern Catholics in addition to Roman Catholics but I didn’t study the numbers in laborious detail.
It does include them, but FWIW Catholics still are less than a majority of the worlds Christians, even if we use the churchs own membership statistics that are generally recognized as inflated. The compilers of such stats are more or less forced to use the figures each denomination reports, but there are about a half-dozen different ways that the various churches count members.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now you’re just grasping at straws.

The inquisitions took place for 686 years on 6 continents. Now granted it was not the entire continent but it was much more widespread than most people know. Most people think the inquisitions were limited to only Spain and France.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Eastern churches are not in full communion with the pope. The Oriental Church does not teach purgatory and the Orthodox Church is nowhere even close to communion with the pope. They also do not teach purgatory.
I believe he was referring to Eastern rites of the church that is headed by the Pope. Uniates is a term often used.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does include them, but FWIW Catholics still are less than a majority of the worlds Christians, even if we use the churchs own membership statistics that are generally recognized as inflated.
I suspect that number includes ex-Catholics as well. It would also include those Catholics of record who theologically are not "real Catholics" (not in communion with the church) because they disagree with one or more of the church's dogmas. If one were able to discern the actual number of "true Catholics", I suspect it would be less than a quarter of the reported membership.

Some takeaways from the below link:

83% of Catholics say children being raised by unwed parents living together is acceptable.
66% of Catholics say children being raised by gay or lesbian couples is acceptable.
88% of Catholics say a husband and wife chosing not to have children is acceptable.
86% of Catholics say a man and woman cohabiting is acceptable.
70% of Catholics say a same-sex couple cohabiting is acceptable.

Key findings about American Catholics

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between Eastern Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. They’re not the same thing.

Eastern Catholic Churches - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I stand corrected the Oriental Church does in fact believe in purgatory. Please forgive my ignorance in this matter and thank you for sharing that information.
I question if this is correct. Look closely and see if what they believe is not merely SIMILAR in SOME ways to Purgatory.

Upvote 0