Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This thread is meant to be a place to post where to get icons and where not to get icons and will serve as a resource for TAW to help guide people on the purchasing of icons.

So, I need your help. Please post the places to buy icons and places to avoid (state why please) in this thread and I will add it to the list here in the first post.

thank you.

Good places to buy the icons:
Archangel Books
Conciliar Press
St. Vladimir's Seminary Press
Holy Cross Bookstore
St. Tikhon's Bookstore
St. John Chrysostom Greek Orthodox Monastery
Orthodox Incense
Holy Icons
Ikonographics
Art Fire
St. Joseph School for Boys
Not of this World Icons
HolyTrinityStore.com
COME AND SEE Icons, Books & Art - Orthodox Byzantine Icons
Archangel Icons
About Phil Zimmerman - Phil Zimmerman | St. John of Damascus Icon Studio
Athella Iconography - Home
Artsome Studio for Byzantine Orthodox Christian Icons
Michael_Goltz | Port Vue, Pa 15133

Bad places to buy the icons:

Monastery Icons they apparently have off shots so be careful

Last edited:

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here is a copy and paste from a thread in TAW:

post 54484686

Originally Posted by Michael the Iconographer
Originally Posted by HandmaidenOfGod
My favorite resources for Orthodox icons, books, resources, etc. (All of the below links are associated with SCOBA jurisdictions, and are canonical.):

Archangel Books
Light and Life Publishing
Conciliar Press
St. Vladimir's Seminary Press
Holy Cross Bookstore (this is the bookstore located at Holy Cross | Hellenic College in Brookline, MA)
St. Tikhon's Bookstore
St. John Chrysostom Greek Orthodox Monastery
Image and Likeness Iconography as written through the hand of Fr. Anthony Salzman
Orthodox Incense

And of course, our very own Nutroll's and Ikonographic's sites
clap.gif

Of course you do not mention http://www.michaelgoltzicons.com

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
updated. Michael, can you give me the true name of your site.

Michael Goltz Icons. http://www.michaelgoltzicons.com

The site will be changing in a week or two. I will be making a regular website and then attaching the webstore as a tab to the site, but it will still be under the same URL.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
✟8,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to suggest a place to get icons not listed by the original post.
I was recommended by an Antiochian priest to go to St. Elizabeth Convent.
Since I haven't yet been able to post links yet due to the few posts I have made since starting. I'll give the shortened version: conventofsaintelizabeth.org
I got a quote for a hand-painted icon, their price seems reasonable. I have seen first hand the artwork in the Antiochian Orthodox parish produced by this convent, it is first rate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 12, 2010
✟8,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I called Monastery Icons, asked them which monastery they were affiliated with, didn't get much of an answer except a 'Father Seraphim' somewhere in New Mexico. I asked them if they were Catholic, and they said 'yes.' Makes me think they are self styled 'catholic.' Anyways, it seems the more legit sites actually are proud of their convent or monasteries. I am going to try to educate other Roman Catholics to avoid them, although I do not think their artwork is 'dangerous' as it is incomplete.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
St Columkille

take it from someone [ not me :) ] who has really dug into Monastery Icons and they way that they metamorphosed into other sites by changing their name and address and personas - they are dangerous for your Spiritual health.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
✟8,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
take it from someone [ not me :) ] who has really dug into Monastery Icons and they way that they metamorphosed into other sites by changing their name and address and personas - they are dangerous for your Spiritual health.

Well, I'll consider them more Protestants rather than Orthodox or Catholic. The artwork itself is not dangerous, but the supporting them by purchasing their work only damages them because they present themselves as something they are not. As such, people who buy their stuff should consider this carefully. Perhaps the Lutheran or Anglican might see more worth in them, due to their ideas closely resembling consubstantiation and a lack of Apostolic Succession; I'd think their ideas regarding icons and other sacramentals to be superstitous at worst and at best to be reminders to emulate those being depicted. There is probably one thing for certain, or fairly certain, is that I do not think an Eastern Orthodox priest will recieve their icons to be put on the altar for forty days because the prints from that Monastery Icons, such as St. Patrick or other shared saints with Catholics, demonstrates a Western style of Iconography rather than Eastern, even if their imitation is based on a historically similiar icon.
I have to wonder although, has anyone had one of their icons blessed by an Eastern Orthodox priest? Granted, I have to wonder how a lithograph icon is made different from a hand-painted one in terms of the prayers put into the making. Is the hand-painted icon more spiritual than a print? An icon is an icon-print, hand painted, or otherwise. If even such a print is made from a non-Orthodox source, but its style is the same in all points that a priest is unaware of the source... what is the real danger, besides what I have already mentioned?

Now if there is something in the artwork itself that is heretical, as though symbols of Hinduism are visibly present... then yes, there is some real danger within the artwork.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟15,627.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They have them blessed themselves in a very non-Christian ceremony...that's one big problem.

They're not even protestants, they're not CHRISTIANS. They're some weird religion stew group that has more in common with the hare krishnas than us.

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well said Kyriaki :) :clap: :clap:

We keep stating and re-stating that these are not icons - we can do no more. These paintings have fooled many people .

Please Please Please

Do NOT buy from the Group Monastery Icons or its phoenix offspring

Remember you have now been informed of this by not only Orthodox folk but Catholics as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 12, 2010
✟8,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I had a few questions in my post which were not addressed.

I am not encouraging Orthodox or Catholics to purchase the Monastic Icons.

The charge that they are dangerous, other than that they are blessed in an non-Christian form, which I find difficult to substantiate, is at worst hearsay and at best plausible. One could say it is blessed in a non-Orthodox form for certain, and if there are Catholic iconographers, the same applies that it is non-Catholic form. The main question is regarding them specifically is:

Is there anything within their "artwork" that is heretical?

They may be officially without valid sacraments, they may be doctrinally worse than Oriental Orthodox--being far worse than the charge of Nestorianism. The point in question is in terms of specific danger in the use of their artwork, or if the artwork is blessed by an unsuspecting Catholic elder or Priest (considering if you are a Catholic) or laid on the Altar for forty days by an Orthodox priest (which I doubt would be possible, but I am not ruling out its possibility considering perhaps other companies that make "icon" prints without official iconographers) what really is the danger?

Consider this for a moment... in a practical matter. I own three of their icons. Someone donated these icons to me. I have St. Patrick, St. Francis of Assisi, and St. Joan of Arc. If they are dangerous, these specific "artworks," then I need to throw them away. Let's be very practical about this, since I have a real genuine concern owning three of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Did you read the information given in the very first post on this thread ?

I quote from it

They have one "iconographer" there who paints all their pictures (please, not icons). All are "blessed" with one of their occult rituals before being shipped, and they support themselves to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars per year selling the demonic things. Many Roman Catholic bookstores sell them but, happily, most Orthodox sellers of religious items have discovered who and what they are and no longer do business with them.
So after finding that out - they got into the phoenix situation and now we have their paintings offered by what appears to be a very respectable Site - BUT this is where we enter all sorts of paperchasing - which has been done and everything leads back to the original Monastery Icons .

Now if you are content to have thee paintings knowing that their provenance is doubtful - please ensure that you have them blessed .

Should you decide to dispose of them - please burn them so they cannot fall into other hands.

Upvote 0