Sep 25, 2013
Connecticut
Visit site
✟7,767.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have lead puppet ministries on and off for several years. Kids always like puppets, but it does take a fair amount of training. Don't think that you can just stick your hand up a puppet's backside and think that it will work.

However, I love puppets and they can say things in a way that kids will listen to even if they won't listed to an adult.

You can check out Jelly Telly for ideas on how they can be used effectively.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I saw a church try large puppets in a short segment during the weekly service, to draw kids in to feel more a part of the service. It brought mixed reactions -- some adults didn't want puppets in their worship service, but many loved it. In a situation where it changes established premises, it has to be planned well.

I think that for a while they tried it for announcements, which was really funny, and less offensive. The puppet became the authority for what was going on in the church.

Upvote 0

Luna1991

Jan 22, 2013
Sydney
✟7,759.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I have used puppets from time to time and think they can be a great tool, but I'm personally really bad at acting things out - just feels so out of my comfort zone! Stupid, I know :p

I think one of the great things about a puppet is that the puppet can 'ask' all the questions that the children may be too shy or afraid to ask, in fear of sounding silly in front of the group. Especially helpful when talking to groups of kids in which some may be lacking in biblical knowledge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bdavison

Mar 6, 2014
✟7,654.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
We have a puppet ministry for the pre-schoolers. They all join into a room called the "Treehouse" for weekend services. The room is themed to look like someones backyard. A house with a fence, and I built a giant tree on the side of the stage with a puppet hole in the side. Our puppeteers go into the tree with the puppets and engage the kids with discussions between the puppet and the teacher.

The kids LOVE it.

Upvote 0