Jerusalem
✟11,883.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, up to this point I didn't really look into the matter much and I just considered myself to be on both sides equally. I didn't regard myself as protestant or catholic; just a supporter of both. But that's because I really never figured out which one to follow, because I don't really see the difference; both accept Jesus as the Messiah, so how is it so different than one another?

Which one came first, etc.?

Thanks

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,834.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In very broad brush strokes, Protestants broke away from the Catholic church beginning in about the year 1517, when a Catholic monk and theologian (Martin Luther) published criticisms of the Catholic church which led to the beginning of formal division.

Those original criticisms were to do mostly with the selling of indulgences, but once the division had begun, the reformers (the leaders of the break away groups) ended up disagreeing with Rome on many things, (and disagreeing amongst themselves as well).

I would say that today, the biggest issue which stands between Catholics and various Protestants is the question of authority; how do we know what is true? In what can we place our trust as teaching reliably the things of God? Protestants tend to emphasise Scripture over everything else, whereas for Catholics Tradition and the historical teachings of church leaders through the ages are just as important.

Does that make sense as a starting point?

Upvote 0

GuusVA

God's Warrior
Oct 14, 2013
Tongeren Belgium
✟24,641.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They would both say, that theirs faith came first!

However as a protestant living in a country with mainly catholics. There is a difference.

For example, Most Catholics worship saints. Like Mary, the mother of God, or Saint Peter, or any other really.
Whilst Protestants believe we should not worship any one else then God, the holy trinity.

Protestants believe the only way to salvation is through the blood of Jesus Christ. Sola Gracia. Only by believing that you are sinful, asking God to forgive you based on the death and perfect sacrifice of his only begotten Son Jesus Christ.
Catholics have mixed doing good works into forgiveness of sins. So I steal something, then I help an old lady cross the street, forgiven.

Catholics believe in Celibacy.
Protestants do not.

As far as I learned these are the BIG differences. There probably are many more.

FACT: in Belgium under 1 percent is protestant christian.

Reactions: Pools
Upvote 0

GuusVA

God's Warrior
Oct 14, 2013
Tongeren Belgium
✟24,641.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In very broad brush strokes, Protestants broke away from the Catholic church beginning in about the year 1517, when a Catholic monk and theologian (Martin Luther) published criticisms of the Catholic church which led to the beginning of formal division.

Those original criticisms were to do mostly with the selling of indulgences, but once the division had begun, the reformers (the leaders of the break away groups) ended up disagreeing with Rome on many things, (and disagreeing amongst themselves as well).

I would say that today, the biggest issue which stands between Catholics and various Protestants is the question of authority; how do we know what is true? In what can we place our trust as teaching reliably the things of God? Protestants tend to emphasise Scripture over everything else, whereas for Catholics Tradition and the historical teachings of church leaders through the ages are just as important.

I agree, however, the protestants would say that somewhere along the line, men have started Catholicism. The apostles never meant for the Catholic way of faith to happen.

Selling indulgences was a start of Matrin Luthers 91 differences, yes 91...

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, up to this point I didn't really look into the matter much and I just considered myself to be on both sides equally. I didn't regard myself as protestant or catholic; just a supporter of both. But that's because I really never figured out which one to follow, because I don't really see the difference; both accept Jesus as the Messiah, so how is it so different than one another?

Thanks

The primary argument is sola scriptura, that the Bible is the sole infallible rule of faith for the believer in Jesus Christ and that sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross a sufficient act of grace. Rome denies that the Bible is the sole infallible rule of faith and that the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross was sufficient so Rome requires its adherent to be on an endless treadmill of daily sacrifices in the Mass, which is a on-going bloodless sacrifice of Jesus Christ, with the Roman Catholic priest being called an "alter Christus" or "another Christ" when the priest is ordained. The Bible says that anyone claiming to be another Christ is to be anathema (or accursed). Rome said at the council of Trent in the 1500's that if anyone says that they are saved by the grace of God alone by faith alone, then they are to be accursed. You need to seek out who is telling the truth.

Martin Luther sought reform in the Roman Catholic church. He did not leave the Roman Catholic church. The Roman Catholic church excommunicated him. Rome is the one who abandoned Christian truth to follow after sinful men and certain men (the Pope) calling themselves the Holy Spirit (the Vicar of Christ, a title reserved only for the Holy Spirit), or "Holy Father" when God alone is the "Holy Father".

You can not support both and if you think you can, you have not come to understand the truth.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged

Thanks
If you post in the main Catholic forum (OBOB) we will give you some info and resources so you can see what we believe, and what the main differences are from our standpoint. We would strongly disagree with what is written at post #3 above, for example. But I would rather not get into it here because the thread will devolve into a nasty argument.

In general it can be a bit tough to compare Catholicism and Protestantism, because of the different beliefs among the various Protestant denominations.

The best way to go about it is to ask Catholics about Catholicism and to ask Protestants about Protestantism, and to then compare the two. If you ask one group about the other, you stand a good chance of receiving misinformation. Much of the information above is false, for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You don't have to choose between Catholicism or Protestantism since neither are in the Bible. There is no religion, just following the teachings of the Word. The Apostles and early believers never heard of any "religion". They simply followed the teachings of the Torah and of the Savior, Who always followed the Torah Himself.

Protestants will sometimes tell you - and Catholics may also - that we are no longer under the Law of the Old Testament. Is murder still a sin? How about adultery and so on?

You might be told that now we just have to love, that our Savior gave us the laws of loving the Almighty and our neighbors, to replace the Law. However, those laws were already in the Old Testament, the Torah. When Yahushuah, aka Jesus, preached, He was mostly reiterating the teachings from Torah. He never said the Law was done away with and He kept it Himself. In fact He said that not one jot or smallest mark of the Law and the prophets would be done away with until Heaven and earth pass away.

As I mentioned in another string, the first martyr, Stephen is shown in he book of Acts as being falsely
accused of saying that Yahushuah came to do away with the Mosaic Laws.

Here is an example of where we are supposedly being told the Law is done away with....
A woman was caught in the act of adultery. According to the Torah she should have been stoned but she was not. Why did Messiah let her off the hook? Because the Torah was not being followed. It says that both the man and the woman should be stoned. However, the Pharisees only brought the woman, not the man. Therefore she was let go, but with the injunction to "sin no more."

Do not follow religions. Follow the Word only.

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you post in the main Catholic forum (OBOB) we will give you some info and resources so you can see what we believe, and what the main differences are from our standpoint. We would strongly disagree with what is written at post #3 above, for example. But I would rather not get into it here because the thread will devolve into a nasty argument.

In general it can be a bit tough to compare Catholicism and Protestantism, because of the different beliefs among the various Protestant denominations.
Or Catholic sects. There is not just one Catholicism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Thanks

Well, Catholics came first, but what has that to do with the price of tea in China? I think the real issue is who is closest to the truth, and that requires knowing what the Bible says. It means that you can fellowship with anyone who claims to be Christian, as long as they don't have bad practices that lead you astray. But don't follow anyone unless you know what they practice and teach is Biblical. This means you'll need to study the Bible yourself.

I go to a Bible Church - this is a place where the Bible is emphasized. IMHO, the place you attend might make a difference (and probably will) whether you get your spiritual needs met or not. In my case, I saw the scripture say "anchor for the soul" (Heb. 6:19), but never experienced it while attending churches that officially taught loss of salvation. For me, I needed to come out of that environment and attend a church that taught the truth about being "kept by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time" in order to experience that "anchor for my soul" that I needed. This is what I mean by spiritual needs being met.

God bless you in your search for a permanent fellowship.
TD:)

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, Catholics came first, but what has that to do with the price of tea in China? I think the real issue is who is closest to the truth, and that requires knowing what the Bible says. It means that you can fellowship with anyone who claims to be Christian, as long as they don't have bad practices that lead you astray. But don't follow anyone unless you know what they practice and teach is Biblical. This means you'll need to study the Bible yourself.

I go to a Bible Church - this is a place where the Bible is emphasized. IMHO, the place you attend might make a difference (and probably will) whether you get your spiritual needs met or not. In my case, I saw the scripture say "anchor for the soul" (Heb. 6:19), but never experienced it while attending churches that officially taught loss of salvation. For me, I needed to come out of that environment and attend a church that taught the truth about being "kept by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time" in order to experience that "anchor for my soul" that I needed. This is what I mean by spiritual needs being met.

God bless you in your search for a permanent fellowship.
TD:)
Well, actually Catholicism did not come first. The Torah and the Law of Moses did. And we are told over and over in the Bible that what it teaches is "for all generations" and further that we are never to add to, or subtract from, it. We are also told "YHWH" aka God, "changes not."

Judaism, Protestantism and Catholicism are all full of traditions of men which are not in the Bible, and which often even flatly contradict it.

For example modern day Judaism says Rosh Hashanah, which just occurred last month, is the New year. However in Leviticus we see plainly that the first month of the year is in the spring.

Catholicism teaches things like "We offer up this Living Sacrifice" in masses, in reference to the host. However the Bible says that our Savior "died once for all." Also, it was His enemies, not His friends and followers, who offered Him up to the Cross.

Both Protestantism and Catholicism celebrate Christmas and Easter. The Bible never says our Messiah was born on December 25, or even in the winter, though that was the date of the birthday of sun gods and sometimes a time of child sacrifice. As for Easter, it is named after a pagan goddess whose symbols are the bunny and egg. Its date is set by the RCC and never, ever, falls on the true Resurrection date. For just one reason, the timing of the Resurrection is based on Passover and Passover follows a lunar cycle, not solar cycle, so it can't be on Sunday every year.

Judaism and Protestantism and Catholicism have certainly done some great things for the world. But again, they are filled with traditions of men and we don't need them. We need the Word and fellowship, yes, but not religion.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For example, Most Catholics worship saints. Like Mary, the mother of God, or Saint Peter, or any other really.
Whilst Protestants believe we should not worship any one else then God, the holy trinity.

Protestants believe the only way to salvation is through the blood of Jesus Christ. Sola Gracia. Only by believing that you are sinful, asking God to forgive you based on the death and perfect sacrifice of his only begotten Son Jesus Christ.
Catholics have mixed doing good works into forgiveness of sins. So I steal something, then I help an old lady cross the street, forgiven.

Catholics believe in Celibacy.
Protestants do not.

As far as I learned these are the BIG differences. There probably are many more.
This sounds like you are making a caricature of both protestant and catholic beliefs.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, actually Catholicism did not come first. The Torah and the Law of Moses did. And we are told over and over in the Bible that what it teaches is "for all generations" and further that we are never to add to, or subtract from, it. We are also told "YHWH" aka God, "changes not."

Judaism, Protestantism and Catholicism are all full of traditions of men which are not in the Bible, and which often even flatly contradict it.

For example modern day Judaism says Rosh Hashanah, which just occurred last month, is the New year. However in Leviticus we see plainly that the first month of the year is in the spring.

Catholicism teaches things like "We offer up this Living Sacrifice" in masses, in reference to the host. However the Bible says that our Savior "died once for all." Also, it was His enemies, not His friends and followers, who offered Him up to the Cross.

Both Protestantism and Catholicism celebrate Christmas and Easter. The Bible never says our Messiah was born on December 25, or even in the winter, though that was the date of the birthday of sun gods and sometimes a time of child sacrifice. As for Easter, it is named after a pagan goddess whose symbols are the bunny and egg. Its date is set by the RCC and never, ever, falls on the true Resurrection date. For just one reason, the timing of the Resurrection is based on Passover and Passover follows a lunar cycle, not solar cycle, so it can't be on Sunday every year.

Judaism and Protestantism and Catholicism have certainly done some great things for the world. But again, they are filled with traditions of men and we don't need them. We need the Word and fellowship, yes, but not religion.

True enough.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
However, as to who was first on the scene between Catholic and Protestant, it was the Catholics. Both man made religions incidentally ( founded by men with several different sects or denominations within each, made as key people saw something different within scripture or doctrines from another and or did not agree with another, so formed their own version).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thanks

Who came first is of interest to historians, but has little relevence in how we worship God.

What sort of church do you attend? If you don't have a look around your area either by walking or using google and check out the web sites of the churches you find.
Then try them out.
You are looking for a church where the preaching of the bible will enable you to grow in your faith, so something you have to think about what is said.
You are also looking for a group of worshippers who will welcome you and include you in their fellowship.
That there is more than saying hallo as you enter and good bye as you leave.

Upvote 0

Pools

We are blessed & cursed
Sep 25, 2017
Jerusalem
✟11,883.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks @Paidiske and everyone else! I understand the main difference between the two, and based on what I understand from your information, I guess my beliefs tend to be more towards the Protestant side than the Catholic side. That's what I conclude based on what Paidiske and a few others have told me in this thread.

Catholics to me appear to be based on history and traditions more than what the scriptures say, but my belief is that the scriptures are the only way to know what to follow or believe in, etc. My opinion is that the traditions are intended to be more a ceremonial thing.

Thanks for helping me reach a conclusion!

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I want to put in a word for Catholicism. I came out of it due to the discrepancies I saw with Scriptures - though after being a Protestant for some years I left that too, for the same reason pretty much. However, I personally do feel you can be a Catholic and be saved. No, not all worship Mary. Most do not. Many Catholics - like myself in the past - couldn't care less what the Pope thinks, either. Catholicism has been sort of Protestanized in America from what I saw.

Someone above said there is only one Catholicism. Well, I personally saw a lot of variety in styles of worship, and in belief systems, within the RCC. Again, though, I do think Catholics can be saved and be very sincere about putting their trust in the Messiah. The world is a confusing place and we have so often not been taught what the Scriptures really say, and do not say. I believe the Father of Mercies understands that. As much as I am all for adherence to Scripture - which is totally - a loving heart with confusion is better than a lukewarm heart and perfect doctrine.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
And oh yeal, from what I saw the Catholics are the most active in fighting abortion. That is huge. In the Scriptures when the Israelites killed their babies, offering them to Moloch, the Almighty sent pagan nations after them to destroy all but a remnant.

Now, I am not saying I think anyone should join the Catholic Church - again, I got of it - just saying they have done some good things. (Also some horrendous things before the Protestant Reformation.)

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That was an excellent and unbiased summary...a Via Media indeed!

Upvote 0