United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's a free country.
Really, we are not free to debate! :) First on this forum, odd I guess they wanted a place where we are all in agreement ... to play nice.
Imagine a government like that, like that sci-fi movie about a future world where peace was enforced, wars eliminated, you could
not even cuss or you'd get a ticket. Stallone and Sandra Bullock where the actors. ?
The world I would prefer with peace and harmony is the Millennial Kingdom with Jesus as King, Satan and his demonic horde locked up, no more sin ... and hey, nothing to debate about because we all know the whole truth.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I find that the only way I can be in agreement with a room full of Christians is if we all don't talk.
If you really contemplate the nature of agreement, the only way that anyone can be in complete agreement even with themselves is not to think.

The bigger struggles in our lives are all internal. As often as not, the arguments that we are having with others are based in our own internal struggles with those very topics. We argue not so much to convince them, but to convince ourselves of the validity of our beliefs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As often as not, the arguments that we are having with others are based in our own internal struggles with those very topics. We argue not so much to convince them, but to convince ourselves of the validity of our beliefs.

You know, that was pretty profound. I never thought about it that way before. Maybe the reason that I really hate so much of the discourse on the subject of religion is because I'm a really simple creature who has very little doubt about much when it comes to religion. I've come to accept that nobody ever really agrees with me on everything, and quite a few don't agree with me on anything, and I don't care. What they believe isn't interesting to me, and what I myself believe is so obvious to me that it's boring.

I do like to discuss the details of Genesis 1 in Hebrew pictographs, because of the really complex science revealed in there. But those discussions usually end up as monologues, and I can talk to myself much more efficiently in my head than typing it all out.

Some things really get me going with a full head of fiery steam for argument and battle. But religion ain't it, at least not directly. (Indirectly, EVERYTHING relates back to religion.)

Yours was a good insight. Thank you.

Upvote 0