Protestant Only Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are a ton of them already.
Be that as it may, I'd support creating a Protestant-only forum although there's a serious possibility that the Protestants might verbally beat each other up over who does and doesn't qualify as Protestant, whether evangelicals should be considered Protestant, etc. So hmm.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I haven't seen any catholic bashing in this thread. What do you mean the Pope isnt catholic?
In this thread, no. In these forums, absolutely. The last is a saying. "Do you want an ice cream cone?" "Is the Pope a Catholic?" Means yes, in this sense.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are simply 'Protestant believer,' Non-denom.
Non-denominational is for non-denominational believers, not for Baptists, Lutherans, Pentecostals, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is not the place to debate and attack each other. Someone made a request, I will alert the other Advisors to it.

Everyone, please stop attacking each other.

We look at every forum request and see if it fits.

But for now, please, this is not the place to go at each other.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,756.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
These boards get a lot of Catholic bashing. One thing after another. Thread after thread. I dont see any other denomination getting as much of a bashing as us Catholics.

Ok, have a 'protestant' forum. But, as has been said, those outside of Catholicism are generally considered protestant anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As i pondered this thread i realized that all things are mine. Im actually pretty blessed. Praise the Lord. Liberty is sweet and i have the very words of the apostles who witnessed Jesus ministry and Resurrection. I have the words of the very teachers who the Lord commissioned to teach us. I have Gods Spirit within teaching me, giving me hope, faith, love, and strength, along with Joy, Amen.

1 Corinthians 3:21-23 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
21 So then let no one boast in men. For all things belong to you, 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or things present or things to come; all things belong to you, 23 and you belong to Christ; and Christ belongs to God.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Starting in 2007 and for a few years, we had a general Reformed area as well as an Apostolic area. They did not work.

That said, I've alerted the other advisors to the request and they will look at it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Starting in 2007 and for a few years, we had a general Reformed area as well as an Apostolic area. They did not work.
My memory of that was some "apostolic" Pentecostal types or something became confused over the usage of the word. Frankly, I was expecting something similar with the newer Traditional Christianity forum, with somebody who thinks they're a "traditional Baptist" not understanding why the Church Fathers are being quoted so liberally in whatever thread. But as far as I know (which isn't saying a whole lot), that hasn't really happened.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There were a ton of issues. In Apostolic, who is Apostolic...where do you get agreement between Catholics, Orthodox and Anglican was a big issue. Also newer groups claiming Apostolic succession.

In Reformed, we ran into all the differences in the various groups. Also the vast difference in issues like homosexuality, abortion and other things caused problems.

It was a concept that worked in theory and after 777 (the 2007 changes), when we tried almost everything...it was tried. But it did not work.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I do not particularly like the idea of a Protestant Forum, but will go along with a Mainline Protestant Forum and an Evangelical Protestant Forum. Quite frankly, the way things are going in this world, I have been predicting for many years that within a few decades, more and more Protestant groups will have to merge to stay afloat, like the United Church of Canada did years ago.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Does Reformed and apostolic refer to all protestants?

Well Reformed was used for those who follow a general reformed theology. Apostolic was used to refer to those who claim direct succession from the Apostles.

Apostolic is generally, by self and strict definition, Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox and some others claim it as well. In particular the Old Catholics.

The problem is that with the terms...people are very sure they fit the terms but not so sure about any who disagree with them.

• Informative
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is a long history of conflict on the boards. We used to even have to have what we called CPR. The Catholic-Protestant Reconciliation group. They had to handle reports that were so explosive and harsh that we needed a special group. And we would get pages of such reports. About 20 times more than our total daily reports at present.

Things are better now but the groups can still go at each other.

Historically it has worked to let each group have their own areas rather than go for a wider classification. That has been a problem.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a long history of conflict on the boards. We used to even have to have what we called CPR. The Catholic-Protestant Reconciliation group. They had to handle reports that were so explosive and harsh that we needed a special group. And we would get pages of such reports. About 20 times more than our total daily reports at present.

Things are better now but the groups can still go at each other.

Historically it has worked to let each group have their own areas rather than go for a wider classification. That has been a problem.
Yes but in a protestant only forum we wouldn't have that problem.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes but in a protestant only forum we wouldn't have that problem.

But there were other problems. Many other problems. From differing views on salvation to the acceptance of homosexuality to allowing women ministers. And in Apostolic, there were other problems. based on their differences.

For instance could groups that allow women ministers to be considered, what about female bishops, gay marriage, differing views on predestination. There are different denominations because of these differences. Having a general Protestant area sounds workable but it wasn't. For instance, in 2007 it was a three-month debate on if it should be called Protestant or Reformed. Designing a statement of purpose and rules was a nightmare.

When that was done it became a matter of who was considered a member. After that, a tenuous peace followed by flame eruptions. Same with the Apostolic area.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.