Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Did Protestants get credit for inventing America yet?

Interesting. I remember the nuns telling us that if Catholics had been running things instead of those awful Founding Fathers, we'd have a nice theocracy instead of the terrible situation of all faiths being accorded equal recognition.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Maryland soon became one of the few predominantly Catholic regions among the English colonies in North America. Maryland was also one of the key destinations where the government sent tens of thousands of English convicts punished by sentences of transportation. Such punishment persisted until the Revolutionary War.

The Maryland Toleration Act, issued in 1649, was one of the first laws that explicitly defined tolerance of varieties of Christianity. It has been considered a precursor to the First Amendment.

The founders designed the city plan of the colonial capital, St. Mary's City, to reflect their world view. At the centre of the city was the home of the mayor of St. Mary's City. From that point, streets were laid out that created two triangles. Located at two points of the triangle extending to the west were the first Maryland state house and a jail. Extending to the north of the mayor's home, the remaining two points of the second triangle were defined by a Catholic church and a school. The design of the city was a literal separation of church and state that reinforced the importance of religious freedom.

The largest site of the original Maryland colony, St. Mary's City was the seat of colonial government until 1708. Because Anglicanism had become the official religion in Virginia, a band of Puritans in 1642 left for Maryland; they founded Providence (now called Annapolis).

In 1650, the Puritans revolted against the proprietary government. They set up a new government prohibiting both Catholicism and Anglicanism. In March 1655, the 2nd Lord Baltimore sent an army under Governor William Stone to put down this revolt. Near Annapolis, his Roman Catholic army was decisively defeated by a Puritan army in the Battle of the Severn. The Puritan revolt lasted until 1658, when the Calvert family regained control and re-enacted the Toleration Act.

The Puritan revolutionary government persecuted Maryland Catholics during its reign. Mobs burned down all the original Catholic churches of southern Maryland. In 1708, the seat of government was moved to Providence, renamed Annapolis in honour of Queen Anne. St. Mary's City is now an archaeological site, with a small tourist centre.

Just as the city plan for St. Mary's City reflected the ideals of the founders, the city plan of Annapolis reflected those in power at the turn of the 18th century. The plan of Annapolis extends from two circles at the centre of the city – one including the State House and the other the Anglican St. Anne's Church (now Episcopal). The plan reflected a stronger relationship between church and state, and a colonial government more closely aligned with the Protestant church. -- Wikipedia

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Omitting the Salem witch hunts for now, eg, for example only, and bringing forth the Secret Societies had a biggg hand in it - off topic hence no debit nor credit in my forever account. Just ol' old Jack ducking the blows.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Interesting. I remember the nuns telling us that if Catholics had been running things instead of those awful Founding Fathers, we'd have a nice theocracy instead of the terrible situation of all faiths being accorded equal recognition.

Would that not be a papacy rather than a theocracy, unless, of course, the Pope is God?

Upvote 0

Pteriax

Someone to hate
Jul 13, 2013
Earth
✟16,843.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, you tried to compare JW worship with Devil worship, which is incompatible except for pejorative, apologetic purposes. That is why I said it gave the impression that your ultimate target was Catholicism.

Again, no. Was it Jesus who said if you are not with me you are against me?

Do you think that all the others are either truths of scripture "cult" beliefs ...

Yep. Or something you simply got wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, no. Was it Jesus who said if you are not with me you are against me?

Ah, then your point was that both JW's and Roman Catholics are Devil-worshipers in the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.