Oct 7, 2014
✟489,764.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As far as the SDA, you may have "Methodists" confused with "Millerites." (I was raised SDA and went to SDA schools for most of my education.) There have been many alleged associations with SD A, i.e., The Branch Davidians, Jehovah Witnesses, and Disciples of Christ.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see a "family tree" of all the off shoots of the different denominations and what they had previously been tied to? I wonder if such a think exists. I would love a print-out.

I would be more interested in knowing the history of the Jerusalem Church under James which appears to have become extinct by the third centaury; about the time Rome was assimilating Christianity. The church God set up was Israel, as a congregation of people but not a religion.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Is that what I said?
giphy.gif

It was what you implied. Go back and read what you said.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I would be more interested in knowing the history of the Jerusalem Church under James which appears to have become extinct by the third centaury; about the time Rome was assimilating Christianity. The church God set up was Israel, as a congregation of people but not a religion.

Yes, you are right. James was a Desposyni, and they were hunted down. The remaining one died in the 6th century. That is all from memory, and I can't find the book I read that in, but I know I didn't throw it away. If I find it, it may have references.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, God founded the Church, but to imply that Catholics are not in the Church is ludicrous. You act like only Protestantism is THE CHURCH. The Full Gospel is His Church. Those who choose to cut holes in the Word of God and say it doesn't apply to us today are blasphemers. Those who choose to pervert the gospel as Luther did are also blasphemers.

......would it be safe to say that you disagree with the statement.....” sin boldly “ ? Don’t waste valuable ink,seems like we have been down this road before,my worthy foe......lol

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
......would it be safe to say that you disagree with the statement.....” sin boldly “ ? Don’t waste valuable ink,seems like we have been down this road before,my worthy foe......lol

DON'T SIN AT ALL, because through the Holy Spirit, He killed the sinful desire in us. That is how we are DEAD TO SIN, and alive to the Spirit. The Spirit in us does not lead us into sin. God wants us to be perfect, for without holiness, no man will see God.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
DON'T SIN AT ALL, because through the Holy Spirit, He killed the sinful desire in us. That is how we are DEAD TO SIN, and alive to the Spirit. The Spirit in us does not lead us into sin. God wants us to be perfect, for without holiness, no man will see God.

You must live an extraordinarily blessed life, if you never sin. Good luck with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You must live an extraordinarily blessed life, if you never sin. Good luck with that.

Yes, I do live a blessed life. But I didn't say I don't sin. But I don't sin "willfully" which is the TYPE of sin that we are dead to, and what is spoken against. Now, if we sin, it is not because we chose to sin against God, knowing that it is wrong, and of the flesh. A Christian sins are what the Old Testament called "unintentional" sins. We may not even be aware of the sin we've committed. But it missed the mark of God's perfection. Because of Christ, we are not in the flesh, but in His Spirit, and the Spirit doesn't lead us into rebellion against God.

Your sarcasm didn't escape me. There are so many scriptures that say exactly what I've just said, but I still get mocked. Why is that? Do you not believe the scriptures, or just haven't studied? I suggest you study these chapters: Romans 6 and 8, and Galatians 5, and 1 John 3, as well as 1 John 1:7.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does it matter if we sin willingly or unwillingly? Isn't it still sin? And are you expecting people to be burdened with trying to figure out the difference between willing and unwilling sin? Do you have any clue how neurotic and self-absorbed a person would have to be to go through their day scrutinizing their every though and action in meticulous detail?

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do live a blessed life. But I didn't say I don't sin. But I don't sin "willfully" which is the TYPE of sin that we are dead to, and what is spoken against. Now, if we sin, it is not because we chose to sin against God, knowing that it is wrong, and of the flesh. A Christian sins are what the Old Testament called "unintentional" sins. We may not even be aware of the sin we've committed. But it missed the mark of God's perfection. Because of Christ, we are not in the flesh, but in His Spirit, and the Spirit doesn't lead us into rebellion against God.

Your sarcasm didn't escape me. There are so many scriptures that say exactly what I've just said, but I still get mocked. Why is that? Do you not believe the scriptures, or just haven't studied? I suggest you study these chapters: Romans 6 and 8, and Galatians 5, and 1 John 3, as well as 1 John 1:7.

Century lady....always nice to hear from you even though you are wrong about everything you think....lol....a little humor there. I think just about every sin is a willful sin on some level. I believe the nature of every true Christian is two- fold. Our old nature is still in us and loves to sin.our new nature if we have been born again can never sin.Paul talks about this constant warfare— it never ends ends as long as we are in these bodies of flesh.if we finish this Christian journey the way we started it— by faith in the inished work of Jesus on the cross,the new man will eventually crowd out that old man. In the meantime we are covered by Grace as God finishes what He started.God bless you fine woman.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Century lady....always nice to hear from you even though you are wrong about everything you think....lol....a little humor there. I think just about every sin is a willful sin on some level. I believe the nature of every true Christian is two- fold. Our old nature is still in us and loves to sin.our new nature if we have been born again can never sin.Paul talks about this constant warfare— it never ends ends as long as we are in these bodies of flesh.if we finish this Christian journey the way we started it— by faith in the inished work of Jesus on the cross,the new man will eventually crowd out that old man. In the meantime we are covered by Grace as God finishes what He started.God bless you fine woman.

It's all right there in scripture. Unfortunately, many see Romans 7 as the life of a Spirit-filled Christian. It's not. Paul is finishing his teaching on the law. Even though the law is holy, it was the sin in us that caused the battle of mind over flesh. And because of the sin in us, the flesh was strong, and could never please God. But now through Christ, He has given us His Own Spirit and killed our fleshly desires to sin. We are dead to sin.

Under the Law
Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.

13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.

20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into CAPTIVITY TO THE LAW OF SIN which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! WHO will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD!

Don't you see this is a recollection of all BEFORE CHRIST about those under the law? The law, holy as it is, didn't make them holy, because they still had SIN in their heart, so there was a constant battle. And when the flesh overcame their mind and they sinned - they were CONDEMNED.

Under Christ

Romans 8:1There is therefore now NO CONDEMNATION to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are NOT IN THE FLESH but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Romans 6: 1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who DIED TO SIN live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Martin Luther said to not only sin, but make your sins strong! That is the very opposite of Romans 6:1-2. Can't you see how devilish that teaching is???? Satan knows if he can get those claiming Christ to stay in sin, they are condemned. Even the demons believe and tremble. So who are you going to believe? Martin Luther or Paul?

I hope you know how much I care about you to write this long post to you. I haven't even had my tea yet!

Please study those scriptures. Let them speak to you. I don't want to hear from you until you pray and ask God to show you what HE MEANS, not what any man-Luther/woman-me says it means.

And I also don't want to hear from you unless you use scripture. And above all, don't use Romans 7. That would only prove you haven't studied. They were under the law. Christians, because we walk in the Spirit, are NOT under the law. If we actually have the Spirit that is. And those who claim Christ, but have no power not to sin, do not have the Spirit, and Paul says, don't belong to Christ. So this is important to you. Don't waste it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I
Martin Luther said to not only sin, but make your sins strong! That is the very opposite of Romans 6:1-2. Can't you see how devilish that teaching is???? Satan knows if he can get those claiming Christ to stay in sin, they are condemned. Even the demons believe and tremble. So who are you going to believe? Martin Luther or Paul?

Still quoting Luther out of context? Luther isn't saying to celebrate being a sinner, but that we must continue to live as sinners that are justified by grace. That means having confident trust in God's salvation, not our own ability to avoid sinning.

But then, it seems you do not understand what total depravity means. Sin is not just a superficial "breaking the rules", it's a deep perversion (Romans 7:13-24) that completely penetrates our being and touches everything we do. Even our best works are "filthy rags".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Still quoting Luther out of context? Luther isn't saying to celebrate being a sinner, but that we must continue to live as sinners that are justified by grace. That means having confident trust in God's salvation, not our own ability to avoid sinning.

But then, it seems you do not understand what total depravity means. Sin is not just a superficial "breaking the rules", it's a deep perversion (Romans 7:13-24) that completely penetrates our being and touches everything we do. Even our best works are "filthy rags".

Total depravity is man after Adam, but BEFORE CHRIST in us. That is the truth, just not according to Calvin.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Total depravity is man after Adam, but BEFORE CHRIST in us. That is the truth, just not according to Calvin.

As long as we have this mortal flesh, we are sinners. All Luther is saying, is to own it and be honest about it.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As long as we have this mortal flesh, we are sinners. All Luther is saying, is to own it and be honest about it.

Don't you WANT to be free of sin and walk in righteousness? Do you think that is only for the afterlife?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't you WANT to be free of sin and walk in righteousness? Do you think that is only for the afterlife?

It's for the next world.

My religion has high ethical standards but sinless perfection is not one of them. We are not a religion about moral purity.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's for the next world.

My religion has high ethical standards but sinless perfection is not one of them. We are not a religion about moral purity.

Yes, I know they're not. The problem is, you know it's not and remain in it.

Upvote 0