In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If He's the concept, then John shouldnt have made such a distinct point about saying He's the word. In fact he should have made effort to say the opposite. "No Word" or something like that.... because, as you noted, the word is the signifier, not the thing itself.
He is the Logos. It is a metaphor to understand a role within the Divine, that concept was termed as the Logos in Greek. It is coupled to words, as there is a mythologic tendency for words to be coupled to order and so. The specific sounds employed don't matter, else why do we translate at all?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟936,197.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't blame you, because mandarin is pronounce differently in different region of the world. And although there is Chinese writing there is no Chinese spoken language. It is all dialects, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Hokkien, Teo Chew and etc. Each dialect speaker will pronounce Mandarin to the closest intonation of their mother dialect.
Yeah, I know that. That's why I've consistently specified in this thread that my comments were limited to Beijing dialect.

Upvote 0