Private or Christian schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you think about private schools? public schools? home schools? i go to a public school.for a long time i wanted to go to a private school but then found out how sheltered those kids are. how are they going to make it in the real world?

I have a friend who is now 16. she goes to a private school. she knows nothing about AIDS or HIV or Drugs or anything. i was so suprised. i asked her if they taught that stuff at her school and she said no. even though the parents should talk to their kids about drugs and stuff, the school should still go into details about what that stuff is. ive been taught since 5th grade, is and i know the choices i have to make. whats gonna happen when a sheltered kid is asked to take drugs?

bye
B-I-T
(sorry i didnt really know where to put this post):confused:

ccunning001

Pastor - Central Missouri
Dec 9, 2003
Independence, Mo
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I teach Bible, and Science at a Private School in South Central Missouri and I think you need to ask yourself some very important questions before you can decide.
1. Why do you want to go to a Private School? Is it because you are running from the culture? Is it because you want to isolate yourself from non-Christians?
2. How is your relationship with Christ? Is your relationship strong, weak, or just beginning?
3. Will you have the same ministry opportunities at this school you will have at your school right now. Remember that being a Christian is not about staying morally pure but also about spreading the Gospel to as many people as you can.

I personally think if you want a good education, most Christian schools will give you a better one. If you want to hide from society (the non-Christian world), then you will not find that at a Christian school. (the school I teach at has as many non-Christians as it does Christians) If you want to get your relationship with the Lord right and strengthened then Private school will help there but you have to remember you will always live in the world of the Non-Christian so try not to run.

Upvote 0

ElElohe

A humble Resistentialist
Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟8,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife has never been in a public school, thru college. She was home-schooled through 8th grade.

I have never been in a private school. I was home-schooled in just 6th grade.

My wife and I have had this discussion a number of times. The typical thinking that private school's will shelter a kid is somewhat misleading. My wife's first private school was a boarding school that had children from the inner-cities from troubled lives attending. The second was very Chistian in name but also prestigious, whereas the local rich people sent their kids there because the academics and name and personal prestige were better. There was a lot of hypocrisy there. She then went to a Christian college.

She has experienced a "fallout" of sorts. She is now, for the first time, without a daily support system in her walk with Christ. It's odd for her to have these hills and valleys in her life, that most of us experience. She was not accustomed to the working world or it's crassness until college either, but that is somewhat to be expected for any Christian.

Home schooling has more of a reputation for isolating kids, but my wife is continually reminding that the one-on-one interaction with adults proved beneficial. Her brother, home schooled (and an extrovert), was able to have a conversation with the governor on a visit to the state capitol, even at age 10.

For me, I didn't know anything but public school. It didn't bother me. It has more options for classes. I went to a public University. When I finally decided, after getting my BFA, that I wanted a MFA from a Christian institution (having had no Christian instruction formally) I found there were no Christian schools that offered such.

The long and short of it, there are pros and cons to each.

backward in time said:
what do you think about private schools? public schools? home schools? i go to a public school.for a long time i wanted to go to a private school but then found out how sheltered those kids are. how are they going to make it in the real world?

I have a friend who is now 16. she goes to a private school. she knows nothing about AIDS or HIV or Drugs or anything. i was so suprised. i asked her if they taught that stuff at her school and she said no. even though the parents should talk to their kids about drugs and stuff, the school should still go into details about what that stuff is. ive been taught since 5th grade, is and i know the choices i have to make. whats gonna happen when a sheltered kid is asked to take drugs?

bye
B-I-T
(sorry i didnt really know where to put this post):confused:

Upvote 0

McCravey

Dec 9, 2003
✟1,319.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The only problem I have with pulling your children from public school to place them in a private school is that we carefully understand our own reasoning behind it.

If the reason for it stems from a desire to seperate yourself and your children from other cultural differences (black, hispanic, redneck, poverty of any form) you have in fact seperated yourself from the source of great wealth and power (in the Kingdom of which we are citizens).

Don't you know that the poor are going to inherit the earth? Don't you know that the poor are blessed?

Lazarus contained the wealth that the Rich man needed. The rich man was able to hide his eyes and walk by Lazarus every day. Why would we want to move accross town from Lazarus and get that much further away from our source of true wealth!

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
backward in time said:
i go to a public school.

Yes, I can tell.

I have a friend who is now 16. she goes to a private school. she knows nothing about AIDS or HIV or Drugs or anything.

There are plenty of public school children who don't know anything about these things, either. You'd be surprised at the number of public school children who think that a condom will protect them from HIV and AIDS.

What should she know about drugs that the school isn't teaching her?

Upvote 0

peacechild4

My ♥ is hidden in GOD~ want to find me ~ find GOD
Mar 4, 2005
Victoria Australia
Visit site
✟38,392.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Himself... our Saviour.. was not schooled.. yet He had authority and wisdom and his knowledge far surpassed even the most schooled religious teachers in that time..

I don't really think it matter where one gets educated.. but that You are rich toward God and love others..

Upvote 0

constance

The littlest billy goat gruff
Apr 3, 2005
Indiana
✟29,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi B-I-T,

As the parent of two soon-to-be-teenagers (goodness!) I applaud your concern for your friend, and I think you have a really good point. Your friend needs to have a clue.

It's sheltered people like your friend who falter when they're told, "oh, one hit/drink won't hurt you"...

Having been there, I know for sure - if only I could go back.

Remember that you only have one chance to get it right & that every decision you make now means the difference between walking an easy road and a hard road.

God bless,

Constance

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.