Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Also, we don't actually know the other player was trans.
True, though I haven't seen any comments to the contrary. I did see that McNabb said she still plays softball, which, last I checked, carries the potential for far worse injuries than volleyball, even it's only ciswomen playing.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are good women volleyball players unable to hit that hard?

Usually harder and all the time. I've never seen a HS match (which this was), but in the college game that would be a weak shot for an overhand attack (aka a spike). I'm not sure why she was backing up from the front row to receive the attack and dig it out. As a front row player she should have been stepping forward, putting her hands up and deflecting the ball so a back row player could receive a softer shot..

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Usually harder and all the time. I've never seen a HS match (which this was), but in the college game that would be a weak shot for an overhand attack (aka a spike). I'm not sure why she was backing up from the front row to receive the attack and dig it out. As a front row player she should have been stepping forward, putting her hands up and deflecting the ball so a back row player could receive a softer shot..
First result for "high school volleyball" on youtube. I jumped to about 10 minutes in and saw three spikes of similar strength or harder within 2 minutes.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It looked like she was fading back to a mid-court position (idk what they call that in volleyball), expecting the girl in the front-center to deflect the shot, when the front-center girl decided to not try very hard and completely whiffed it.

That she has a concussion is due to the fact that she took an unlucky shot that she wasn't ready for, not that it was from a transgirl (who didn't look very muscular from what I could tell in the video). She could have taken a much harder shot than that in girl's soccer, softball, or field hockey. Heck, I saw a friend get concussed water skiing and water is a lot softer than a ball.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Injustice, lol.
Silly goose! First it's golf then it's Texan FEMA death camps disguised as railway stations vanishing people as if they never existed.

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it turns out that once the science is sorted out trans women dont end up with unfettered participation in womens sports.

That would not affect my view that trans people should be allowed to be themselves in society generally.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe it turns out that once the science is sorted out trans women dont end up with unfettered participation in womens sports.
This is another place where the right could be having a good faith discussion to find reasonable boundaries but is instead choosing to use the language of a good faith discussion to (barely) conceal their hatred and fearmongering.

I agree that there's probably some reasonable balance to be struck - with rules getting more clear and more strict with certain things like the level of violence of the sport (e.g. boxing being more stringent than tennis), the raw power required (e.g. weightlifting being more stringent than basketball), and the degree of difficulty at that particular level (e.g. D1 college being more stringent than high school).

Instead, we get stuff like the OP complaining about a regional golf tournament. Golf, a sport that's mostly about finesse and technique and that involves zero physical contact.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is another place where the right could be having a good faith discussion to find reasonable boundaries but is instead choosing to use the language of a good faith discussion to (barely) conceal their hatred and fearmongering.

I agree that there's probably some reasonable balance to be struck - with rules getting more clear and more strict with certain things like the level of violence of the sport (e.g. boxing being more stringent than tennis), the raw power required (e.g. weightlifting being more stringent than basketball), and the degree of difficulty at that particular level (e.g. D1 college being more stringent than high school).

Instead, we get stuff like the OP complaining about a regional golf tournament. Golf, a sport that's mostly about finesse and technique and that involves zero physical contact.
I think almost every sport that currently has separate men's and women's competition reflects some real physiological differences between the sexes. Even in cute little golf, the average driving distance between men and women is competitively meaningful. And the difference remains at the pro level too.

I do resent the fearmongering tho. Part of it is clearly the R party ginning up some "critical" culture wars issues* to keep the fires burning hot under their base. They have a hard time running on economics or foreign policy, etc.

(*note this thread is in the politics section.)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think almost every sport that currently has separate men's and women's competition reflects some real physiological differences between the sexes. Even in cute little golf, the average driving distance between men and women is competitively meaningful. And the difference remains at the pro level too.

It's arguably more meaningful at the pro level. I'm not super into golf, so I could be wrong on this, but driving distance is the main difference, no? Once you remove that factor (which is easy enough with different tees), then everybody is more-or-less even, aren't they?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's arguably more meaningful at the pro level. I'm not super into golf, so I could be wrong on this, but driving distance is the main difference, no? Once you remove that factor (which is easy enough with different tees), then everybody is more-or-less even, aren't they?
Well yeah.... but different Ts for men vs women doesnt address what happens for women if someone with (presumed) male developmental advantages starts playing their game.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is another in a long series of males claiming to be female becoming dominant in womens/girls sports.

Given the large amount of sports news, including various championships happening all the time, it is a remarkably small number on these "long series" of occurrences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Given the large amount of sports news, including various championships happening all the time, it is a remarkably small number on these "long series" of occurrences.
Seems I've been hearing about it on a regular basis for a few years now.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is another in a long series of males claiming to be female becoming dominant in womens/girls sports.
eking out her first regional tournament win in three years is “dominating”?

And what’s this “long series”?

Upvote 0