Pregnant at 18. Hailed by Abortion Foes. Punished by Christian School.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,710.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This wasn't between two consenting adults.
It wasn't? The girl in the article is 18. The father isn't disclosed, but I haven't read any information about this being a case of statutory rape.

Seems adult enough to me. Certainly she handles this situation like an adult.

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
First, yes there is a wide range of "discrimination" available to private schools that take some public funding.
Right. Although i don't know why you put scare quotes around it. Hey do you suppose private schools can discriminate against special needs children if they take funds for the government in the form of vouchers?
If they can take public funding at all, the discrimination that makes them "private" is obviously permitted.
Right a double standard since public education takes every student that walks in the door. In this case, the pregnant female would be protected and assisted in public education since they have school nurses and counselors on site. In the private she was singled out. That is the difference. Kind of like a Scarlett Letter.
There are only certain limited types of discrimination that are prohibited, and prohibition of volitional sexual activity is not one of them.
What?
Nor is there any law implying that everything not illegal must be permitted.
So now you are an apologist for double standards. Do you suppose private educators are required to have on-site medical staff like public education? How bout busing? Food programs for the poor? After school programs for students from working families? In effect until 6pm in my school. Where parents can pick their children up. Any of that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This is the problem that I have with the voucher system - not that I have an taxpayer funds supporting private schools in itself, but that this funding, even indirect funding through vouchers, will always have strings attached, that will increase government control over private education. There is no free lunch.
Pick up one end of the stick you pick up the other.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hey do you suppose private schools can discriminate against special needs children if they take funds for the government in the form of vouchers?

They may not have the necessary resources for special needs children. Doesn't mean they can't be good schools for other students...

dmmesdale said:
So now you are an apologist for double standards.

Double standards are kind of the whole point of private education. There would little point of having private schools if they had to operate the same way as public schools.

dmmesdale said:
Do you suppose private educators are required to have on-site medical staff like public education? How bout busing?

They weren't when I was in school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This seems like a bizarre thought process. I would think that seeing someone who is pregnant would result in girls thinking "I best not have sex or I could end up pregnant like her".
It would for me. I seen plenty of girls pregnant. When I was in high school. I wouldn't want to be in their situation. So I would have did anything to prevent being pregnant at the time. Years later and no kids. Different story.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
They may not have the necessary resources for special needs children.
So keep them in public education which takes every student who comes to their doors.
Doesn't mean they can't be good schools for other students...
You mean privileged students from families who do not want their children mixing with kids from the hood or special needs children because it slows everybody down.
Double standards are kind of the whole point of private education. There would little point of having private schools if they had to operate the same way as public schools.
Then don't take the public money to defund public education. All that does is further shaft the students from poor families. Fewer teachers and larger class sizes. Basically making public education a dumping ground.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think the impact that having that child has on her life will be a pretty significant condesuence of her actions. I wonder when she tells this tale of exclusion to her son if he will be eager to be part of an organization that saw the conception of his life worthy of punishment.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,710.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think the impact that having that child has on her life will be a pretty significant condesuence of her actions. I wonder when she tells this tale of exclusion to her son if he will be eager to be part of an organization that saw the conception of his life worthy of punishment.
I can't see her sending her children to the same school.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. Although i don't know why you put scare quotes around it. Hey do you suppose private schools can discriminate against special needs children if they take funds for the government in the form of vouchers?

Yes, actually, they can. Not every school in even a public school system is necessarily required to provide for every special needs situation.

Right a double standard since public education takes every student that walks in the door. In this case, the pregnant female would be protected and assisted in public education since they have school nurses at the schools. In the private she was singled out. That is the difference. Kind of like a Scarlett Letter.

What? So now you are an apologist for double standards. Do you suppose private educators are required to have on-site medical staff like public education? How bout busing?

On-site medical staff? Not all of them. Busing? Not all of them.

My son and daughter both went to fully public schools that had selective enrollments (in my son's case, I had to make a personal plea to the principal). And this was in two different states, btw, separated by a decade in time. Even though they were part of the school system, not everyone could attend those schools. We also had to provide for their transportation.

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, actually, they can. Not every school in even a public school system is necessarily required to provide for every special needs situation.
They have a right to an education in the United States. It may be a matter of funding since public schools are mostly funded thru property and state taxes. (95% my state.) I don't know why anybody would want to further defund public education. From Wiki.

Education of students with special needs
Main article: Special education in the United States
Commonly known as special classes, are taught by teachers with training in adapting curricula to meet the needs of students with special needs.

According to the National Association of School Nurses, 5% of students in 2009 have a seizure disorder,[81] another 5% have ADHD and 10% have mental or emotional disorders.[38]

On January 25, 2013, the Office for Civil Rights of the US Department of Education issued guidance, clarifying school districts' existing legal obligations to give disabled students an equal chance to compete in extracurricular sports alongside their able-bodied classmates.[82]

Educating children with disabilities
The federal law, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires states to ensure that all government-run schools provide services to meet the individual needs of students with special needs, as defined by the law.[83] All students with special needs are entitled to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE).

Schools meet with the parents or guardians to develop an Individualized Education Program that determines best placement for the child. Students must be placed in the least restrictive environment (LRE) that is appropriate for the student's needs. Public schools that fail to provide an appropriate placement for students with special needs can be taken to due process wherein parents may formally submit their grievances and demand appropriate services for the child.[citation needed]

Nationwide, 62% of students with disabilities attending public schools graduate high school.[84]

Criticism
At-risk students (those with educational needs that are not associated with a disability) are often placed in classes with students with minor emotional and social disabilities.[85] Critics assert that placing at-risk students in the same classes as these disabled students may impede the educational progress of both the at-risk and the disabled students. Some research has refuted this assertion, and has suggested this approach increases the academic and behavioral skills of the entire student population.[86]

See also: Special Education.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Not if all of society appears to make accommodation for it. What consequences do the other girls see? Having been the father of both a boy and a girl and working with many teenagers, my observation is that their effective perception of consequences at that age goes no farther than their line of sight.

Someone who is pregnant as a teenager? Maybe it is just me but I don't think most of these girls really want to be unwed mothers and are being held back by the fact that they might not get to go to graduation ceremony.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, hopefully the most important lesson of all was learned:
PROLIFE.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone who is pregnant as a teenager? Maybe it is just me but I don't think most of these girls really want to be unwed mothers and are being held back by the fact that they might not get to go to graduation ceremony.

What they see is that "the world will accommodate me."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Why would someones daughter get pregnant simply by being around another girl who got pregnant?
That totally misses the point. It is some parents who would have problems with pregnant teens. That was the context which was ignored. It normalizes the condition.
It seems to me it would have the opposite effect?
Hope so.
Besides it is not like she is being kicked out of the school, she is simply not allowed to go to prom.
A delayed punishment also removed from some position even after admitting and doing right under the circumstances. In education, they have to deal with paying parents. They are vocal and complain. They should have never barred her.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It would for me. I seen plenty of girls pregnant. When I was in high school. I wouldn't want to be in their situation. So I would have did anything to prevent being pregnant at the time. Years later and no kids. Different story.

And hearing complaints about a sore back, hitting the bathroom during any class break because her bladder is getting pressure put on it would sort of hammer the message home.

And just one week of morning sickness issues would close the deal on being extra careful, always.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That totally misses the point. It is some parents who would have problems with pregnant teens.

Then those parents can suck it up and drive on. I don't see punishing a young girl because someone else has hang ups being a good model.

That was the context which was ignored. It normalizes the condition.

How?

Hope so. A delayed punishment also removed from some position even after admitting and doing right under the circumstances. In education, they have to deal with paying parents. They are vocal and complain.

However, per the article, she was already punished. This is an ongoing punishment that is being imposed on top of the punishment she already received.

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Then those parents can suck it up and drive on.
Private education is for profit.
I don't see punishing a young girl because someone else has hang ups being a good model.
Are you in business? Later.

Upvote 0