Pregnant at 18. Hailed by Abortion Foes. Punished by Christian School.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
So you think that if another girl got pregnant and didn't say anything about it, that school wouldn't take notice & do the exact same thing to her?

I'm sure the school would, as they are obligated to do so. It just wouldn't be a media spectacle due to any overt action by the school.

There's a signed agreement concerning conduct between the family and the school. If they let some slide on it, them they have no standing on which to punish others for their violations. If the father is also a student, they should take action against him as well.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
According to the article, it was the family that sought outside advice that caused all this exposure concerning their daughter. I'm guessing as long as the other girls don't have the same family, they'll probably be alright.
You think the daughter is upset by how the media is treating her? Whoa. I think you've missed the dial there; and GoBraves' point. Why would a girl who has a LOT going for her make the same choice and potentially lose the same things?

This might even remind them to keep the legs closed as they promise to do before ever being accepted into the school.
The number of times I hear "keep the legs closed". I mean, if we're going to be judgemental and crass, I would suggest these posters don't know that sexual intercourse can happen with legs closed.

Also, since punitive punishments are usually meted out immediately (in order to create best impact as well as to put the incident, and consequences behind as quickly as possible), there is no value, in giving a punishment that takes effect several months after the misbehaviour.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure the school would, as they are obligated to do so. It just wouldn't be a media spectacle due to any overt action by the school.

There's a signed agreement concerning conduct between the family and the school. If they let some slide on it, them they have no standing on which to punish others for their violations. If the father is also a student, they should take action against him as well.

Many who were treated that way would speak out about it. That's normal. Even if she didn't go to the media, stuff like that often goes viral just after writing about it on your own social media. She was public about choosing not to get an abortion, which IMO was brave.

Do the boys at that school have an obligation to inform them when they've had sex? If so do you think there's many who do?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
False choice fallacy, repeated several times in this thread.

There are alternatives in adolescence to young woman other than pregnancy versus abortion. My daughter, for instance, neither became pregnant nor had an abortion.
Crazy how for the purposes of GoBraves' point he was discussing girls who DO get pregnant and their treatment but you suggest that pregnant girls have the option of not being pregnant or getting an abortion.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Many who were treated that way would speak out about it. That's normal. Even if she didn't go to the media, stuff like that often goes viral just after writing about it on your own social media. She was public about choosing not to get an abortion, which IMO was brave.

Do the boys at that school have an obligation to inform them when they've had sex? If so do you think there's many who do?

Treated what way? "I broke the rules I swore I wouldn't break, giving my word as a Christian. But now I don't want to be held to my promise." Boo-hoo. Again, they could have done far worse to her. She lost a seat on the student council and won't walk the stage at graduation, neither of which actually mean anything. It was a slap on the wrist compared to what they could have done, up to and including expulsion.

The boys have the same obligation this girl did, keep it all locked up until there are rings on fingers. Even so, this girl did not inform the school she had sex. It's not like she did the dirty then confessed the next day. She found out she was pregnant then was forced into confessing. She got caught.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Treated what way? "I broke the rules I swore I wouldn't break, giving my word as a Christian. But now I don't want to be held to my promise." Boo-hoo. Again, they could have done far worse to her. She lost a seat on the student council and won't walk the stage at graduation, neither of which actually mean anything. It was a slap on the wrist compared to what they could have done, up to and including expulsion.

The boys have the same obligation this girl did, keep it all locked up until there are rings on fingers. Even so, this girl did not inform the school she had sex. It's not like she did the dirty then confessed the next day. She found out she was pregnant then was forced into confessing. She got caught.

They could have done far better to her. Losing a seat on the student council you earned & not being able to walk at graduation when you've busted your butt for 4 years do mean something. The boys at that school might have the same 'obligation' the girls do to graduate as virgins but there's plenty who don't. Doubt any of them have gone to the principal & said they've had sex, so they too can be stripped of what they've earned. Yeah, she got caught doing what the majority of teens that age do, because she decided to keep the baby instead of quietly aborting it and keeping it all private.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Have to wonder how many other girls at that school who get pregnant in the future will quietly get an abortion to avoid going through the humiliation they put this girl through.

If they do, it's on them, not the school.

The number of times I hear "keep the legs closed". I mean, if we're going to be judgemental and crass,

Not judgmental or crass, just a descriptive term.

I would suggest these posters don't know that sexual intercourse can happen with legs closed.

Apparently you got the point. No reason to get hyperliteral about it.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If they do, it's on them, not the school.

The way the school treated this girl & how that influences girls who get pregnant in the future is on them. Their actions cause foreseeable reactions.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Graduating high school meant nothing to me. I'd always assumed graduating college. That said it does matter a lot to many others including all the ceremony.

In that light I think the denying participation in graduation is off. Note that teh original punishment was that she would not be allowed on campus, she was expected to do everything from home. In short the school decided to not live up to any part of their end for one violation on her part.

If the Christian God is real and personal there are going to be a lot of people being reminded that as they judge others so shall they be judged followed by a very unpleasant judgement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
They could have done far better to her. Losing a seat on the student council you earned & not being able to walk at graduation when you've busted your butt for 4 years do mean something. The boys at that school might have the same 'obligation' the girls do to graduate as virgins but there's plenty who don't. Doubt any of them have gone to the principal & said they've had sex, so they too can be stripped of what they've earned. Yeah, she got caught doing what the majority of teens that age do, because she decided to keep the baby instead of quietly aborting it and keeping it all private.

Well, I would hope she did. She's professing to be a Christian after all. I'd hope that would kick in at some point before murdering her own child.

Almost seems like you are excusing them for breaking their promise because presumably a lot of other teens do it. Should there be any restrictions on their behavior before any punishment is given? Where is that line exactly? I'll bet if the topic was she was bullying some other kid, that wouldn't be so easily dismissed. I guess it all depends on the motive behind why the kids are touching all over each other. Anger = bad, but Lust = good?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
False choice fallacy, repeated several times in this thread.

There are alternatives in adolescence to young woman other than pregnancy versus abortion.

Not once you see those two little pink lines, though. At that point, your alternatives are pretty limited.

Treated what way? "I broke the rules I swore I wouldn't break, giving my word as a Christian. But now I don't want to be held to my promise."

We don't know what happened, though. Under what circumstances did the conception occur? Did she consent? Was she confused, judgement impaired, drunk? Is there some depression or anxiety impacting her decision making? Are there other issues in her life? Is she protecting the father? Just what is the relationship between them, anyway?

This young lady is young, not yet mature, and still figuring out who she is in life. So she made a mistake (assuming she made a choice about having sex), and now people are reacting as if this shows a complete lack of character or integrity.

I'd say we're not in a position to make that call. And frankly, on the available evidence, I'd say it's more likely that the conception of this child was out of character for her, than indicative of some major irredeemable flaw. But instead of her community of faith supporting her and working with her to do the best she can in the situation she's in, they're treating her as a liability too big to handle.

And yes, I think that's incredibly poor treatment, from people who have the resources and social power to do much, much better by her.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
We don't know what happened, though. Under what circumstances did the conception occur? Did she consent? Was she confused, judgement impaired, drunk? Is there some depression or anxiety impacting her decision making? Are there other issues in her life? Is she protecting the father? Just what is the relationship between them, anyway?

This young lady is young, not yet mature, and still figuring out who she is in life. So she made a mistake (assuming she made a choice about having sex), and now people are reacting as if this shows a complete lack of character or integrity.

I'd say we're not in a position to make that call. And frankly, on the available evidence, I'd say it's more likely that the conception of this child was out of character for her, than indicative of some major irredeemable flaw. But instead of her community of faith supporting her and working with her to do the best she can in the situation she's in, they're treating her as a liability too big to handle.

And yes, I think that's incredibly poor treatment, from people who have the resources and social power to do much, much better by her.

Wow, now you've inserted the possibility of rape into the equation where there was no hint of it in what the story told us. That's very irresponsible of you.

I went through the complications of teen pregnancy firsthand. Don't pretend to presume to tell me about the decisions and thought processes involved.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wow, now you've inserted the possibility of rape into the equation where there was no hint of it in what the story told us. That's very irresponsible of you.

I don't think it's irresponsible to point out that we do not know the circumstances under which this baby was conceived. And to assume the worst of the mother, when we do not know, is pretty poor form.

And since your profile says you're a male, no, you didn't go through pregnancy first hand.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you think that if another girl got pregnant and didn't say anything about it, that school wouldn't take notice & do the exact same thing to her?
The funny thing is, I'm sure many teens are having sex at this school. I've known a few people from Christian private schools. They have sex. But nobody knows, since they don't get pregnant. Any ways years from now, this teen will only care about her child and not care about crazy stuff. Like not going to her graduation. Over stupid stuff. Her kid will probably go to public schools and become liberal. And so will her mother. They will realize how Christians are full of it. And run.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think it's irresponsible to point out that we do not know the circumstances under which this baby was conceived. And to assume the worst of the mother, when we do not know, is pretty poor form.

And since your profile says you're a male, no, you didn't go through pregnancy first hand.
It sounds to me like the school caved on the initial punishment when the family went public. Quote.

''Hawkins said she and the Runkles family tried unsuccessfully to negotiate privately with the school to resolve the issue and only went public when the board refused to let her walk with her classmates. At first, in fact, the school said she would have to finish her classes at home but later relented. In a statement Wednesday morning, Students for Life said it has not been able to find a single example in the school’s 48-year history of a student being banned from walking at graduation for breaking the rule Runkles did.''

The circumstances involving the initial to the reduced was most likely the result of public exposure. The school was outed.

If the student screwed up then so did the school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It sounds to me like the school caved on the initial punishment when the family went public. Quote.

''Hawkins said she and the Runkles family tried unsuccessfully to negotiate privately with the school to resolve the issue and only went public when the board refused to let her walk with her classmates. At first, in fact, the school said she would have to finish her classes at home but later relented. In a statement Wednesday morning, Students for Life said it has not been able to find a single example in the school’s 48-year history of a student being banned from walking at graduation for breaking the rule Runkles did.''

The circumstances involving the initial to the reduced was most likely the result of public exposure. The school was outed.

If the student screwed up then so did the school.

That is not supported by the preceding statements. Where do you get that this was the most likely reason?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So now you are an apologist for double standards. Do you suppose private educators are required to have on-site medical staff like public education? How bout busing? Food programs for the poor? After school programs for students from working families? In effect until 6pm in my school. Where parents can pick their children up. Any of that?
Our public school system does not have any of those things except the Food program.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No way to fact check that unless we know where you are from Hank.
Well it is hardly something worth lying about but take it anyway you like. ;)
When you live in a small rural area you don't always get all the bells and whistles, our tax base just won't support it.
We didn't have enough HS boys who play baseball this year so we had to team up with our traditional rivals from the next town over. But they went to State and won in their division. Rivals can work together if they really want to.:) I wish our Congress could do the same.o_O

Upvote 0