Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm puzzled - why would it be better to be Latin Rite than Eastern Rite Catholic?
Because as Latin Rite you wouldn't have to live a schizophrenic spiritual life.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Before jumping ship from Rome to Constantinople or Moscow I would take a step back and consider why you would be converting: would it be for the Truth of Orthodoxy or for its seemingly exotic and alluring spirituality? The exotic allure wears off very quickly and leaves one with the realization that Orthodoxy is just simple Apostolic Christianity in ethnic garb. True, she seems to have preserved and developed a unique system of asceticism that did not completely transplant or develop in the West, but the reality is we are weak Christians in weak times, and very few of us can live up to that ascetic calling that the early Christians lived (and even if we could it would probably do greater spiritual harm than good).

As a convert to Orthodoxy from Anglicanism who deeply regrets not fully investigating the Roman Catholic tradition before making my decision, the grass is not greener over here if you are discouraged with Church politics, because Byzantine intrigue is alive and well in Orthodoxy just as Jesuitical plots abound within Rome's hallowed halls. There is no perfect Church on Earth, just the Church Militant battling to become the Church Triumphant, and war as they say is Hell---that's why there are so many spiritual casualties and the Churches both Eastern and Western appear to be beleaguered at all times.

I would agree with @zippy2006 and stress a thorough investigation of Eastern Catholicism before prayerfully considering Orthodoxy. Because once you become Orthodox there really is no going back, without terrible spiritual consequences.

Why would there be terrible spiritual consequences if one is following where the Spirit is leading them?

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2020
Pacific NorthWest
✟15,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
*Subjectivism.

Because it sounds like the “Invisible Church” theory.

Forgive me, allow me to clarify. What I meant to say was there is no perfected church on this earth, in that she has achieved fully her union with God in all her members. The Apostolic Faith is alive and well within Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and the Oriental Orthodox Churches. Which is witnessed in the Saints produced by said traditions. I am not advocating an "Invisible Church Theory"--for there is One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church which is visibly manifested in the above mentioned traditions.

But back to the OP: you should prayerfully find an experienced spiritual father/director who can help guide you...may God bless and lead you. My great concern is that you would "dox" for the wrong reasons...

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2020
Pacific NorthWest
✟15,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Why would there be terrible spiritual consequences if one is following where the Spirit is leading them?

I have seen firsthand two RC women who were baptized with a group of twelve catechumens (myself one of the twelve), who left independent of each other (without consulting the other) and returned to the Catholic Church; they later regretted their decision to return to Rome, were Chrismated back into Orthodoxy a year later. One stayed (we buried her in December) and the other fell into Witchcraft and goddess worship immediately upon leaving Orthodoxy (the second time).

"Church shopping" can be dangerous when you are not seeking the Truth, but merely seeking experiences, or exalted and exotic spiritual life, or due to a passion such as lust of the eyes, or hurt from a previous experience. We have to be careful that we are truly led by the Holy Spirit and not just our whims, because there is a real spiritual, invisible war we are in and the enemy will use every means even that which appears good and full of light for our destruction.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Forgive me, allow me to clarify. What I meant to say was there is no perfected church on this earth, in that she has achieved fully her union with God in all her members. The Apostolic Faith is alive and well within Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and the Oriental Orthodox Churches. Which is witnessed in the Saints produced by said traditions. I am not advocating an "Invisible Church Theory"--for there is One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church which is visibly manifested in the above mentioned traditions.

But back to the OP: you should prayerfully find an experienced spiritual father/director who can help guide you...may God bless and lead you. My great concern is that you would "dox" for the wrong reasons...
The Orthodox Church is the only true Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I am sorry, but no. the non-Chalcedonians and Rome are not Apostolic because neither has maintained the Apostolic faith and remained in the Apostolic Body.

the branch theory is just has heretical as the invisible church theory

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2020
Pacific NorthWest
✟15,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
@ArmyMatt Since this is an unsettled issue in the Orthodox Church, there having been no Ecumenical Council regarding the status of Rome, we are free to hold and formulate opinions either for or against them. The non-Chalcedonians hold the same faith just expressed in different terminology and have changed over the years from monophysites to miaphysites. There are subtleties going on that we need to take into account, rather than relying on the old polemics that do not address the issues at hand.

@Not David Yes, and so is the Catholic Church and the Oriental Orthodox the "only" true Church.

Popular perceptions of Orthodox history usually do not hold up to objective historical scrutiny.

But this is off topic from the OP....forgive me. Peace be with you.

• Winner
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@ArmyMatt Since this is an unsettled issue in the Orthodox Church, there having been no Ecumenical Council regarding the status of Rome, we are free to hold and formulate opinions either for or against them. The non-Chalcedonians hold the same faith just expressed in different terminology and have changed over the years from monophysites to miaphysites. There are subtleties going on that we need to take into account, rather than relying on the old polemics that do not address the issues at hand.

it's actually not an unsettled issue. we don't need an Ecumenical Council when it comes to Rome. it's already in our services that they are heretical. Ecumenical Councils only clarify what is already believed.

as for the non-Chalcedonians, that is again wrong, and we actually do have Ecumenical Councils that condemn their teaching.

I have had classes with non-Chalcedonians, so these aren't old polemics.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@ArmyMatt Since this is an unsettled issue in the Orthodox Church, there having been no Ecumenical Council regarding the status of Rome, we are free to hold and formulate opinions either for or against them.
That's akin to saying the Assumption of Mary is an optional belief since it hasn't been declared by an Ecumenical Council. Good luck with that nonsense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Euodius

Are you kitten me right meow?
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I might offer a 'disassociation theory' of ecclesiology, but that's probably not the wisest thing to offer. The Church is not invisible, nor divided into branches... but when was grace precisely lost from Rome or the Orientals? Unknown, but a process of error and disassociation (in the clinical sense) becomes only more and more visible for both Rome and the Orientals.

Yet, we see now a schism inside the Oriental Church due to the reintroduction of the Greek Fathers. Support for Chalcedon has grown among the Coptics and some of their bishops now say that they were mistaken in rejecting Chalcedon. What will be the fruit of this? I don't know. But great is the Lord's mercy

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I might offer a 'disassociation theory' of ecclesiology, but that's probably not the wisest thing to offer. The Church is not invisible, nor divided into branches... but when was grace precisely lost from Rome or the Orientals? Unknown, but a process of error and disassociation (in the clinical sense) becomes only more and more visible for both Rome and the Orientals.

Yet, we see now a schism inside the Oriental Church due to the reintroduction of the Greek Fathers. Support for Chalcedon has grown among the Coptics and some of their bishops now say that they were mistaken in rejecting Chalcedon. What will be the fruit of this? I don't know. But great is the Lord's mercy

I really believe that a healing will happen soon, especially with The Ethiopian Orthodox because we have a bunch of Ethiopian Orthodox people who come to Divine Liturgy every Sunday at my Parish. There's definitely a kinship there and I believe it is because of The Holy Spirit of God.

I've worked with both Coptic Orthodox and Ethiopian Orthodox people and they were awesome.

Check this out :

His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the head of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church | The Russian Orthodox Church

timthumb.php

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tried "living on my own island" for a while under Lutheranism after being exposed to Orthodoxy. It lasted awhile but as time went on I realized I couldn't remain in Lutheranism in good conscious. You are seeking truth, Lord have mercy and enlighten us all in truth as we further seek Him.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I tried "living on my own island" for a while under Lutheranism after being exposed to Orthodoxy. It lasted awhile but as time went on I realized I couldn't remain in Lutheranism in good conscious. You are seeking truth, Lord have mercy and enlighten us all in truth as we further seek Him.
similar experience with me

Upvote 0

Euodius

Are you kitten me right meow?
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is something I'm thinking about as I read orthodox literature.
Why do I have to convert into a ethnocentric parish with either russian sentiments or greek sentiments when I'm culturally at home in the west?

I'm very hesitant to go for a third approach into Holy Orthodoxy for a number of reasons. Besides I'm neither russian nor greek enough for most orthodox.
I'm thinking of Pat. Bartholomew as a heretic and Pope Francis smaller sibling and for that reason I'm not cut out to go EP. As I see it I'm justing moving one step farther away from the cliff in the Roman church.

I'm not pro russian enough to be a good fit for the MP. I'm against the link between Putin and Pat. Kirill and I'm not into church slavonic etc.

On top of everything I absolutely hate sung liturgies. No kidding, I can't stand it!

So as you might see the reasons for me to dox officially are rather few in numbers. But, and this is a rather big but (pun not indented), I've fallen in love with Neptic theology and I absolutely adore this way of theology.
To think of God in these terms has enlightened my whole being, my spirit and my heart rejoice as I read about it!

Could I try to adopt the orthodox spirituality and receive the sacraments in the RCC you think? I'm toying with the idea of adopting the eastern orthodox fasting and prayers too.

Any thoughts? Will this be all in vain as you guys see it?

God bless.

You might be interested in David Balfour who was a RCC monk who specialized in Russian spirituality. Although he eventually became Orthodox, then became an apostate intelligence officer, then joined the Church again at the end of his life. He has a book of correspondences with St. Sophrony of Essex.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums