United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Attendees will gather to mourn the end of 'public health'​

Today, at 4:30 Pacific Time, a group calling itself Mask Bloc will gather in the courthouse square in Portland, Oregon dressed in black, with masks, to mourn the official end of mask requirements in healthcare settings in Oregon.

Mask Bloc’s tweets are now protected, but the gathering invited protesters to “”Wear funeral black, wear your mask, bring signs” to lament “the end of infection control in OR”. It’s billed as a “funeral” for “public health”.

I'm wondering if these folks actually feel this strongly about this topic, or if over the course of 3 years, they've allowed "caring about covid prevention" to become their main personality trait and core part of their identity, and they don't want to see it go away.

There was something similar that happened in NY when they lifted theirs

It seems sort of like the people who were the last remaining folks at the Occupy Wall Street protests...like it gave them a sense of identity and purpose and didn't want to see it go away.

And I was honestly unaware that there were areas left that had mask mandates in the US. When parts of Canada (like Ontario) had lifted their mask mandates on public transit and hospitals back in June 2022, I guess I just assumed that everywhere in the US had already done so by that point given that Canada was stricter in general with regards to covid measures than the US was.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just wear a mask if you feel under the weather or you are otherwise feel the need.
You'd think at this point in the game, people would have come around to the "live and let live" mentality given that the majority of the population is vaccinated and/or has gotten it (many more than once).

Evidently, this group of folks saw the need to form a whole social movement and group around it.

Judging by their twitter page they're also in the game of getting people to donate masks to them, so they can in turn try to go out in public and try to hand them out to people who aren't wearing them. (I can just imagine how some of those interactions go based on the fact that they have tweets lamenting the fact that they'll go out in the streets with 400 masks to distribute, and only a fraction of people take them up on their offer)

Also, based on this post:
1679494428716.png

I would question if their commitment to this is really rooted in a practical view of masks being seen as a medical/public health tool and not a fashion statement or political amulet

It feels like if this were being purely viewed as a health intervention, cosmetic appeal would be irrelevant. For instance, if someone was looking to do a bottled water drive for people impacted by some sort of event, I'd doubt they'd be having the conversation about "well, the government will provide bottled water from brands that have white lids on the bottle, but we know some people like the bottled water that has blue/green lids on the bottle, so give us money so we can buy some"

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Title is somewhat misleading - it suggests that this is some form of official event. "Portland" isn't staging a funeral - Mask Bloc is staging a funeral in Portland. I'm curious to see how many people actually show up.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would question if their commitment to this is really rooted in a practical view of masks being seen as a medical/public health tool and not a fashion statement or political amulet

It feels like if this were being purely viewed as a health intervention, cosmetic appeal would be irrelevant. For instance, if someone was looking to do a bottled water drive for people impacted by some sort of event, I'd doubt they'd be having the conversation about "well, the government will provide bottled water from brands that have white lids on the bottle, but we know some people like the bottled water that has blue/green lids on the bottle, so give us money so we can buy some"
I believe that they've fashioned their organization after "Black Bloc," which is a protest tactic where everyone wears identical black outfits to make individuals harder to identify.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You'd think at this point in the game, people would have come around to the "live and let live" mentality given that the majority of the population is vaccinated and/or has gotten it (many more than once).

Evidently, this group of folks saw the need to form a whole social movement and group around it.

Judging by their twitter page they're also in the game of getting people to donate masks to them, so they can in turn try to go out in public and try to hand them out to people who aren't wearing them. (I can just imagine how some of those interactions go based on the fact that they have tweets lamenting the fact that they'll go out in the streets with 400 masks to distribute, and only a fraction of people take them up on their offer)

Also, based on this post:
View attachment 329289

I think that if they are serious about making masks a permanent feature of society, they should go the route of east asia: have poor sanitation and unsafe food preparation so you cause a few more epidemics until people get the message.

• Haha
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I still wear a face mask on public transit or in Uber rides.

Wearing a mask is still probably a good idea in certain situations. But I've given up on the average person exercising any kind of wisdom and discretion.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe that they've fashioned their organization after "Black Bloc," which is a protest tactic where everyone wears identical black outfits to make individuals harder to identify.
Seems like an odd choice for a public health protest...I can't imagine that would be one of the things where people would get themselves into trouble since I haven't heard of this particular group engaging in any sort of protest methods that would land them in any hot water.

And even then, everyone wearing white masks instead of black masks really doesn't make anyone more identifiable unless they're literally the only one wearing a white one in a large group.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Title is somewhat misleading - it suggests that this is some form of official event. "Portland" isn't staging a funeral - Mask Bloc is staging a funeral in Portland. I'm curious to see how many people actually show up.
I had copied it from the title in the one article...thread title has been updated to say "Portland group"

In terms of how many people show up...they picked an odd time by having it at 4:30 in the afternoon on a weekday. That pretty much eliminates anyone who works normal hours and didn't want to burn a vacation day for something like this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Seems like an odd choice for a public health protest...I can't imagine that would be one of the things where people would get themselves into trouble since I haven't heard of this particular group engaging in any sort of protest methods that would land them in any hot water.

And even then, everyone wearing white masks instead of black masks really doesn't make anyone more identifiable unless they're literally the only one wearing a white one in a large group.
I think the goal is that since it's "funeral for masks", people are wearing black masks because black is the traditional funeral clothing in western countries.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
I think that if they are serious about making masks a permanent feature of society, they should go the route of east asia: have poor sanitation and unsafe food preparation so you cause a few more epidemics until people get the message.
Poor sanitation?

Singapore, Japan, Taiwan and South Korea would like a word with you

• Agree
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Poor sanitation?

Singapore, Japan, Taiwan and South Korea would like a word with you
No, they wouldn't. Those countries are keenly aware that the poor sanitation and hygene in their neighbouring countries have caused a lot of epidemics in the region, with them suffering from it because of travelers importing those diseases. Countries like Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar.

This is why in asian cultures, you see a lot more mask wearing. Well, that and the whole "do things that are good for the community, even if they inconvenience you" stuff.

If you think that countries are immune to epidemics coming from other countries because of their higher than normal hygene standards, you haven't been paying attention the last three years. (Don't worry, you haven't missed much)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No, they wouldn't. Those countries are keenly aware that the poor sanitation and hygene in their neighbouring countries have caused a lot of epidemics in the region, with them suffering from it because of travelers importing those diseases. Countries like Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar.

This is why in asian cultures, you see a lot more mask wearing. Well, that and the whole "do things that are good for the community, even if they inconvenience you" stuff.

If you think that countries are immune to epidemics coming from other countries because of their higher than normal hygene standards, you haven't been paying attention the last three years. (Don't worry, you haven't missed much)

Southeast Asia having so many coronavirsuses isn't due to poor sanitation, but due to having large populations of livestock combined with proximity to a large resevoir of viruses in bats.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the goal is that since it's "funeral for masks", people are wearing black masks because black is the traditional funeral clothing in western countries.
Maybe that was the motivation for that particular event, but the tweet I screenshotted above was from January, and seemed to be referencing purely cosmetics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, they wouldn't. Those countries are keenly aware that the poor sanitation and hygene in their neighbouring countries have caused a lot of epidemics in the region

We think our recession is bad and our restaurant industry was hurting...that was nothing.

The proprietor of the Wuhan "Bat-on-a-Stick" has really been taking it on the chin these last 3 fiscal years...

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I was honestly unaware that there were areas left that had mask mandates in the US.
The medical offices I've been to lately here in Western New York require masking, but I don't think it is a government mandate.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The medical offices I've been to lately here in Western New York require masking, but I don't think it is a government mandate.
I think you're right.

Cleveland Clinic changed their policy "strongly encourage", but require you to wear one if you're visiting a covid patient...which I guess was something else I found surprising, they'll actually allow active covid patients to have in-room visitors now.

If one of the top hospitals in the world is posting new rules under the header "Covid: Learning to Live with it" that actually allow you to go into a hospital room with someone who currently has covid (where you know you're getting exposed), I think it's safe to say that this portland group insisting that everyone still wear them maybe needs to pick their battles.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Attendees will gather to mourn the end of 'public health'​

Today, at 4:30 Pacific Time, a group calling itself Mask Bloc will gather in the courthouse square in Portland, Oregon dressed in black, with masks, to mourn the official end of mask requirements in healthcare settings in Oregon.

Mask Bloc’s tweets are now protected, but the gathering invited protesters to “”Wear funeral black, wear your mask, bring signs” to lament “the end of infection control in OR”. It’s billed as a “funeral” for “public health”.

I'm wondering if these folks actually feel this strongly about this topic, or if over the course of 3 years, they've allowed "caring about covid prevention" to become their main personality trait and core part of their identity, and they don't want to see it go away.

There was something similar that happened in NY when they lifted theirs

It seems sort of like the people who were the last remaining folks at the Occupy Wall Street protests...like it gave them a sense of identity and purpose and didn't want to see it go away.

And I was honestly unaware that there were areas left that had mask mandates in the US. When parts of Canada (like Ontario) had lifted their mask mandates on public transit and hospitals back in June 2022, I guess I just assumed that everywhere in the US had already done so by that point given that Canada was stricter in general with regards to covid measures than the US was.
But it is objectively NOT a "funeral for public health".

It is just the finally recognized ending of forcing masking on the unwilling healthy people (everyone else can wear them until Kingdom comes...no one cares), which made virtually no difference at all, as many asserted up front, even Fauci, in March of 2020, before he backtracked.

Cochrane did the review:

"It has published a new Cochrane review of the literature on masks, including trials during the Covid-19 pandemic in hospitals and in community settings. The trials compared outcomes of wearing surgical masks versus wearing no masks, and also wearing surgical masks versus N95 masks. The review, conducted by a dozen researchers from six countries, concludes that wearing any kind of face covering “probably makes little or no difference” in reducing the spread of respiratory illness.

Upvote 0