Poll as a born again Christian do you still sin

After being born again do you yourself still sin?

• Yes

Votes: 64 97.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And if you refer back to what was pointed out in johns letters and how they are speaking to children ,young men ,and fathers in faith you see how at tgat time peter was a babe in faith. Later he very much became a father in faith. But furst he had to be born again of the spirit.

I respectfully disagree my friend. I maintain that he was already receiving guidance from God before receiving the Holy Spirit during Pentecost. Paul rebuked Peter after having received the Holy Spirit for declining to eat with the Gentiles while Jews were present. Even after receiving the Holy Spirit Peter was still not perfected. I also believe the revelation Peter received in Caesarea that Jesus is the Son of God was actually from the Holy Spirit. I also maintain that Peter walked on water because the gift was given to him by the Holy Spirit. To my knowledge Jesus never said that the advocate had not come to them before His ascension. In fact Jesus said you know Him (Holy Spirit) because He abides with you and shall be in you. John 14:17. I believe the Holy Spirit gave the apostles the gift of tongues at Pentecost but had already been with them long before Pentecost.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really like this statement: "...it is impossible to engage in a work of sin while one is engaged in a work of righteousness at the same time..."
Do you see different "portions" of the Spirit being given to people like Christ had one portion, the apostles could lay hands on people and gift them miraculous Spiritual gifts, some had miraculous Spiritual gifts and some had the indwelling Holy Spirit, yet no miraculous gifts at least for a time?
to be honest no,
the only thing i see is the baptism of the holy Spirit.
ie ,.."the SAME spirit that rose Christ from the dead dwells in you ...."
the only "measure" i see i think ,is the measure of how much we surrender and die to self in order to act in faith of what God has already given us.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I respectfully disagree my friend. I maintain that he was already receiving guidance from God before receiving the Holy Spirit during Pentecost. Paul rebuked Peter after having received the Holy Spirit for declining to eat with the Gentiles while Jews were present. Even after receiving the Holy Spirit Peter was still not perfected. I also believe the revelation Peter received in Caesarea that Jesus is the Son of God was actually from the Holy Spirit. I also maintain that Peter walked on water because the gift was given to him by the Holy Spirit. To my knowledge Jesus never said that the advocate had not come to them before His ascension. In fact Jesus said you know Him (Holy Spirit) because He abides with you and shall be in you. John 14:17. I believe the Holy Spirit gave the apostles the gift of tongues at Pentecost but had already been with them long before Pentecost.
im not going to go into every point,it would not be overly benificial.
just one , peter walking on water is not by result of having the holy spirit.hewas not aptised in the holy Spirit at that time.
he walked on water because he believed Jesus and proved he did by Doing as he said ie....bid me come to you on the water,and Jesus said "come"
so peter acted on the word come coupled with the knowledge that Jesus himself was walking there too.
thats what faith is
its not wishing
its acting on The lords word because we believe him. :)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
to be honest no,
the only thing i see is the baptism of the holy Spirit.
ie ,.."the SAME spirit that rose Christ from the dead dwells in you ...."
the only "measure" i see i think ,is the measure of how much we surrender and die to self in order to act in faith of what God has already given us.
Thank you for your reply,

How about those before Christ's crucifixion did they have the same portion of the Spirit those baptized with the Spirit?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your reply,

How about those before Christ's crucifixion did they have the same portion of the Spirit those baptized with the Spirit?
not according to the scripture no . the holy spirit came upon them at certain times but did not at that time "indwell" . but it was also always, i believe ,Gods desire to indwell us .we are the house he desired to build in which he could dwell .

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
not according to the scripture no . the holy spirit came upon them at certain times but did not at that time "indwell" . but it was also always, i believe ,Gods desire to indwell us .we are the house he desired to build in which he could dwell .
So they had a different portion of the Spirit?
I think all true Christians have the same Indwelling Spirit, but like those in the OT do not all have the same additional portions. The indwelling portion is what matters. Being "Baptized with Spirit" is not the same as receiving the indwelling portion of the holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

stephen pollard

Sep 30, 2018
Dublin
✟17,332.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The question might be answered depending on where your threshold of what is sin lies.

Would breaking the second of the Ten Commandments for example require you getting a hammer and chisel, and carving out an idol and then bowing down and worshipping it? Or could you worship graven images in your mind?

Do we say if we do not commit the physical act of murder we have obeyed the commandment, or, do we remember Christ’s words: If you get angry with your brother…..

If we do not commit the physical act of adultery, have we obeyed the commandment? Or, have we disobeyed it if we look at a woman with lust in our eye?

How do we view: Thou shalt not covet? Simply referring to coveting material goods? Or as Paul did, including not lusting/having impure thoughts is needed to obey the commandment?

Do we commit sin if we do not truly love our enemies? Those who may be unkind to us? Jesus said even the heathen love their own.

For me, not to commit sin would mean, living a perfectly holy life, no impure thoughts/lust, loving perfectly at all times those I come into contact with, with no unkind thoughts about them, no unkind word, and loving those who may be unkind to me. No getting angry, no demanding my own way, and everything I do must be guided by love for God and my neighbour. Alas, I fail that threshold much.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So they had a different portion of the Spirit?
I think all true Christians have the same Indwelling Spirit, but like those in the OT do not all have the same additional portions. The indwelling portion is what matters. Being "Baptized with Spirit" is not the same as receiving the indwelling portion of the holy Spirit.
you'll have to have some scriptural basis for any of this i don't see that in scripture .in the OT the spirit came upon people .. in the new he indwells people .. same holy Spirit .he is not proportional " he is "
the only measure is the measure of how much we surrender our lives to him

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you'll have to have some scriptural basis for any of this i don't see that in scripture .in the OT the spirit came upon people .. in the new he indwells people .. same holy Spirit .he is not proportional " he is "
the only measure is the measure of how much we surrender our lives to him
I would use Acts 8 talking about baptized believers (which I would say also had the indwelling Holy Spirit), yet not having miraculous power:
14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't hear God tell me to put on my running shorts today, I just did it. So then, is that sin?
TD:)
When think
"....the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works."

We are talking about what God can and will do in those that believe. If we are talking about what man can do....we agree, for man it is impossible.

Talking about personal experiences is pointless unless you plan to limit yourself to my achievements and take on my shortcomings. I wish for you to go as far as you can, regardless of what others say you can and cant do. With God there is no limitation......but you are personally limited on by what you believe.....
Yes. The Spirit did not say we could not reach perfection (Christ likeness). The Spirit wrote through Paul.
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
(Php 3:12-17 KJV)

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John said that to say we don't sin is a sin and means we do not know God.
1 John 1:10
1 John 2:1 John is giving his "little children" instruction on what to do when they DO sin.
It does not say in 1John, "to say we don't sin is a sin and means we do not know God" anywhere.

Upvote 0

Thee Librarian

Jan 25, 2018
Chicago
✟16,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perhaps but the wording in the verses I quoted is a bit obtuse in regards to this idea.
In Greek there are no verbs and no spacing between words.
So consider the work involved in translating.

• Informative
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Thee Librarian

Jan 25, 2018
Chicago
✟16,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really like this statement: "...it is impossible to engage in a work of sin while one is engaged in a work of righteousness at the same time..."

Unless you happen to be human, in which case
you are not in communion and married to God, yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thee Librarian

Jan 25, 2018
Chicago
✟16,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The question might be answered depending on where your threshold of what is sin lies.

Would breaking the second of the Ten Commandments for example require you getting a hammer and chisel, and carving out an idol and then bowing down and worshipping it? Or could you worship graven images in your mind?

Do we say if we do not commit the physical act of murder we have obeyed the commandment, or, do we remember Christ’s words: If you get angry with your brother…..

If we do not commit the physical act of adultery, have we obeyed the commandment? Or, have we disobeyed it if we look at a woman with lust in our eye?

How do we view: Thou shalt not covet? Simply referring to coveting material goods? Or as Paul did, including not lusting/having impure thoughts is needed to obey the commandment?

Do we commit sin if we do not truly love our enemies? Those who may be unkind to us? Jesus said even the heathen love their own.

For me, not to commit sin would mean, living a perfectly holy life, no impure thoughts/lust, loving perfectly at all times those I come into contact with, with no unkind thoughts about them, no unkind word, and loving those who may be unkind to me. No getting angry, no demanding my own way, and everything I do must be guided by love for God and my neighbour. Alas, I fail that threshold much.

The threshold is that you are walking with God. If not, then you where born into a sin condition. If you enjoy it, then that;s your sin to repair.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Greek there are no verbs and no spacing between words.
So consider the work involved in translating.
WHo told you there are not verbs in the Greek? That is not true.

Upvote 0