• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

POISON IVY

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
:)

I just might not let those cute goats rub their noses on me :)
Yeah that would probably not be a good idea!

I just turned them back into their own pasture, careful not to touch them. Half a day of eating, drinking, and doing goat-ey things apparently cleaned them up enough. Because they did like to nuzzle!

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
For all you might know, I could have been promoting myself as an expert, and this is not allowed, here. So, it could be good to probe and test me, in case I was. So, thanks :) Even if I'm being honest and open to evaluation, this does not mean I must be correct about my ideas and information.

This sounds good, to me :)

One thing, by the way, which seems to have been common advice for decades, at least, is to wash a poison ivy exposure site as soon as possible with soap and water, and this can keep you from ever having a problem.

If you know what poison ivy looks like, you have a good chance to know if you rub it, and right away you can wash with soap and water, and probably not even get the itch. Also, maybe we can get exposed by rubbing our skin on clothing or something else . . . or a pet . . . which has rubbed in poison ivy??

Prednisone is a prescription drug. Therefore, it needs to be used as the doctor has directed. So, if your doctor says to take it in a specific way on a steady basis, it is understood that you should not vary from how the doctor has scheduled you to take it.

And in case your problem does not seem to change because of using the prescription as directed, you should let your doctor know this, and do not just try to find other ways and substances to handle the problem without first making sure your doctor knows.

Especially, do not start adding on some other drug or treatment, unless you first make sure this alternative substance or treatment will not interact badly with the Prednisone!! In case you wish to start some other drug or use an herb or do something else which includes a new substance being used, make sure with your Pharmacist that the Prednisone is safe to take while using any other substance; even if a new substance is used only on the surface of the skin, you need to make sure. And make sure this is ok, with your doctor.

I understand that what I'm offering you is not expert advice on my part, but what is commonly found in print-out instructions which come with prescriptions from a pharmacy. Even over-the-counter medicines and herbs and other substances in certain cases can interact with prescription medicines. So, make sure any new treatment is cleared with your pharmacist and doctor.

And, again, make sure your doctor knows, if the Prednisone still does not seem to be working; plus > in case you have already added any other substances to treatment, and you did not first make sure with your trusted professionals at pharmacy and the doctor's office, then now make sure you tell your pharmacist and doctor that you added anything without letting them know.

And I suppose you know how nice it works to get into the smoke of burning poison ivy. I understand that even dead and dried poison ivy leaves on contact or its smoke can be a problem . . . a big-time problem especially with the smoke. Is this your experience?

I suppose if alcohol or calomine or toothpaste cause stinging, this can mean the skin is more damaged. And I read that alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can be too intense so they can interfere with healing tissue.

Also, is it possible that the silica in toothpaste could work down into damaged tissue and cause microscopic slicing of tissue . . . if the skin is broken enough to let it in?

But if the skin is more intact, so those things do not sting . . . I guess they could be ok.

But I am concerned that toothpaste silica could get worked around in damaged skin, at least, so it could help to damage the skin enough to get an infection or slow the healing. So, maybe a dentist or pharmacist or doctor would know for sure about this.

No problem! I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Whether it's poison ivy or something similar or a combination of issues, we'll eventually get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No problem! I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Whether it's poison ivy or something similar or a combination of issues, we'll eventually get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the input.
Glad you're going to get to see the doc. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have only had it once. I stepped on a cut off trunk of a vine and got a sliver in my foot. It swelled up so much it looked like I had a balloon on the sole of my foot. I soaked it in dawn dishsoap (which has the best oil dispersal characteristics) and drained the fluid 2x a day under running water for a week or more; until it stopped swelling up and the itching quit.

To help with the itch I applied cort10.

Ewww....my sympathy!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Humor Old Age 7.jpg

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not itching anymore. The spider bite is drying up, but the dark bump in the middle better go away in its own because I'm not going to touch it.

I'm always curious about health issues so I just watched this video about a brown recluse bite. I wanted to know why a large gaping wound occurs. The video doesn't show the wound, but the audio is very interesting.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not itching anymore. The spider bite is drying up, but the dark bump in the middle better go away in its own because I'm not going to touch it.

I'm always curious about health issues so I just watched this video about a brown recluse bite. I wanted to know why a large gaping wound occurs. The video doesn't show the wound, but the audio is very interesting.

Glad you're feeling better!

In my (very limited) understanding, the wound develops from a brown recluse bite because the tissue necrotizes (dies) after being attacked by enzymes in the spider's venom.

I do know it can make a nasty wound.

That video is creepy to watch. I don't really like spiders.

But I am glad you're feeling better!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums