• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

POISON IVY

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I took Prednisone for five days. I have no more Prednisone. My poison ivy seems worse. Will it go away? I also got bit by a non-poisonous spider when I was working in my yard.

I can't take Benadryll. :help:

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I took Prednisone for five days. I have no more Prednisone. My poison ivy seems worse. Will it go away? I also got bit by a non-poisonous spider when I was working in my yard.

Sorry about your experience.

Maybe a pharmacist could give over the counter advice...(IDK)

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We've had good results with this and it is available at WalMart.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prednisone is a prescription drug. So, here in these forums, I am not supposed to be giving you advice about a prescription drug. I understand there are risks to taking Prednisone; I would say you can check this out, and evaluate if Prednisone is supposed to help or not, and if its risks outweigh however it is supposed to help you. I think an honest and competent doctor could help you with this.

Also . . . to my knowledge, poison ivy might not maintain its itchy effect as long as you say. Possibly, it was something else, or it can be as long as you say. You might check this out, yourself, with people you know are reliable.

If you are an older person, things can effect you differently than with younger people. So, in any case rest in the LORD and trust Him :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Prednisone is a prescription drug. So, here in these forums, I am not supposed to be giving you advice about a prescription drug. I understand there are risks to taking Prednisone; I would say you can check this out, and evaluate if Prednisone is supposed to help or not, and if its risks outweigh however it is supposed to help you. I think an honest and competent doctor could help you with this.

Also . . . to my knowledge, poison ivy might not maintain its itchy effect as long as you say. Possibly, it was something else, or it can be as long as you say. You might check this out, yourself, with people you know are reliable.

If you are an older person, things can effect you differently than with younger people. So, in any case rest in the LORD and trust Him :)
So are you a pharmacist, Sir?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Can you talk to a doctor or pharmacist?

I've never taken prednisone for poison ivy, or knew anyone who did. It should get better with time but you know it stays on clothing, etc? Everything has to be washed. And the irritant can be transferred from one place to another by scratching, then touching your skin elsewhere, etc.

We usually used OTC stuff. Calamine lotion, most often. Rather than rubbing it into the skin, it should coat and be left on. Oatmeal baths can be soothing. A soft, dry, clean cloth (clothing) to keep it covered is often helpful. Of course nothing should be reused and should be washed frequently.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Friendly
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So are you a pharmacist, Sir?
No, and this is why I have suggested that Phoebe Ann talk with people she knows are reliable. But I do have some medical experience and education . . . enough to know that I don't know much :)

But it is commonly reported that Prednisone is a higher-risk drug; and so its use needs to be managed and monitored carefully. And each person can be so unique, as God's so complicated creation, that even professionals can make mistakes with treating people with drugs.

Prednisone is more of an issue, than a lot of drugs, I have been told.

So, I mean that Phoebe Ann needs to make sure as well as she can, that she trusts the right people. I have been told that a pharmacist can be more in the know than a doctor might be, about drugs. So, may be it could be good to talk with her doctor and at least one pharmacist.

Am I dealing with your question the way you mean it, or am I missing a concern you have?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, and this is why I have suggested that Phoebe Ann talk with people she knows are reliable. But I do have some medical experience and education . . . enough to know that I don't know much :)

But it is commonly reported that Prednisone is a higher-risk drug; and so its use needs to be managed and monitored carefully. And each person can be so unique, as God's so complicated creation, that even professionals can make mistakes with treating people with drugs.

Prednisone is more of an issue, than a lot of drugs, I have been told.

So, I mean that Phoebe Ann needs to make sure as well as she can, that she trusts the right people. I have been told the a pharmacist can be more in the know than a doctor might be, about drugs. So, may be it could be good to talk with her doctor and at least one pharmacist.

Am I dealing with your question the way you mean it, or am I missing a concern you have?
Great answer; I didn't put a lot of thought into my question; your answer was very full and good; thanks!

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My poison ivy seems worse. Will it go away? I also got bit by a non-poisonous spider when I was working in my yard.

The rash should clear up on its own in a couple of weeks, give or take a week. All available treatments are palliative. They might make you feel a little better but they don't cure the problem. The oils are spread by contact, but by the time you get the rash the damage is already done, and it's unlikely that scratching it at that time will further the spread. Even so, I still strongly recommend not scratching it.

As for the non-poisonous spider, I'm going to have to say that, technically, there's no such thing as non-poisonous spiders. There are only spiders whose fangs or venom are incapable of significantly hurting a person. If all you get is a small red bump, then you might call it "non-poisonous," but the small red dot is caused by what minor venom the spider does have. It won't be a problem at all, unless you happen to be allergic. If you are severely allergic, then you probably already know it by now. If not, then don't worry about it.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We've had good results with this and it is available at WalMart.

Thanks! That looks helpful. I go to Wal-Mart on Wednesdays --- I'll check it out.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The rash should clear up on its own in a couple of weeks, give or take a week. All available treatments are palliative. They might make you feel a little better but they don't cure the problem. The oils are spread by contact, but by the time you get the rash the damage is already done, and it's unlikely that scratching it at that time will further the spread. Even so, I still strongly recommend not scratching it.

As for the non-poisonous spider, I'm going to have to say that, technically, there's no such thing as non-poisonous spiders. There are only spiders whose fangs or venom are incapable of significantly hurting a person. If all you get is a small red bump, then you might call it "non-poisonous," but the small red dot is caused by what minor venom the spider does have. It won't be a problem at all, unless you happen to be allergic. If you are severely allergic, then you probably already know it by now. If not, then don't worry about it.

I'm not allergic to the spider bite (the first one I've ever had in my life), but it sure was crazy to get that when I got the poison ivy. I was trying to do my own yard work because I don't have money to pay someone else. And, of all things, I haven't gotten poison ivy in over thirty years! :grimacing: I was careless this time.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Can you talk to a doctor or pharmacist?

I've never taken prednisone for poison ivy, or knew anyone who did. It should get better with time but you know it stays on clothing, etc? Everything has to be washed. And the irritant can be transferred from one place to another by scratching, then touching your skin elsewhere, etc.

We usually used OTC stuff. Calamine lotion, most often. Rather than rubbing it into the skin, it should coat and be left on. Oatmeal baths can be soothing. A soft, dry, clean cloth (clothing) to keep it covered is often helpful. Of course nothing should be reused and should be washed frequently.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the advice. I always thought scratching could make it spread, but I read somewhere online that it won't.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

A doctor prescribed it for me.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! That looks helpful. I go to Wal-Mart on Wednesdays --- I'll check it out.
You might also shower with this, scrub hard enough to get into it good without hurting yourself, and then pat dry and put the Tecnu on. We live in rural Kentucky and poison ivy is just a part of life here. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've used rubbing alcohol topically to break down the oils, and it seems to stop the irritation and spreading. Also, believe it or not, sometimes toothpaste works like calomine to dry up the oils very well. But apply either on a test patch, and if it starts to sting too much stop and don't use. Sometimes it stings big time and other times not at all.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have only had it once. I stepped on a cut off trunk of a vine and got a sliver in my foot. It swelled up so much it looked like I had a balloon on the sole of my foot. I soaked it in dawn dishsoap (which has the best oil dispersal characteristics) and drained the fluid 2x a day under running water for a week or more; until it stopped swelling up and the itching quit.

To help with the itch I applied cort10.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great answer; I didn't put a lot of thought into my question; your answer was very full and good; thanks!
For all you might know, I could have been promoting myself as an expert, and this is not allowed, here. So, it could be good to probe and test me, in case I was. So, thanks :) Even if I'm being honest and open to evaluation, this does not mean I must be correct about my ideas and information.

I always thought scratching could make it spread, but I read somewhere online that it won't.
Scratching probably wont make it spread once the oils are cleaned off the skin but it can case damage & scarring so you wanna try to avoid scratching at it.
This sounds good, to me :)

One thing, by the way, which seems to have been common advice for decades, at least, is to wash a poison ivy exposure site as soon as possible with soap and water, and this can keep you from ever having a problem.

If you know what poison ivy looks like, you have a good chance to know if you rub it, and right away you can wash with soap and water, and probably not even get the itch. Also, maybe we can get exposed by rubbing our skin on clothing or something else . . . or a pet . . . which has rubbed in poison ivy??

A doctor prescribed it for me.
Prednisone is a prescription drug. Therefore, it needs to be used as the doctor has directed. So, if your doctor says to take it in a specific way on a steady basis, it is understood that you should not vary from how the doctor has scheduled you to take it.

And in case your problem does not seem to change because of using the prescription as directed, you should let your doctor know this, and do not just try to find other ways and substances to handle the problem without first making sure your doctor knows.

Especially, do not start adding on some other drug or treatment, unless you first make sure this alternative substance or treatment will not interact badly with the Prednisone!! In case you wish to start some other drug or use an herb or do something else which includes a new substance being used, make sure with your Pharmacist that the Prednisone is safe to take while using any other substance; even if a new substance is used only on the surface of the skin, you need to make sure. And make sure this is ok, with your doctor.

I understand that what I'm offering you is not expert advice on my part, but what is commonly found in print-out instructions which come with prescriptions from a pharmacy. Even over-the-counter medicines and herbs and other substances in certain cases can interact with prescription medicines. So, make sure any new treatment is cleared with your pharmacist and doctor.

And, again, make sure your doctor knows, if the Prednisone still does not seem to be working; plus > in case you have already added any other substances to treatment, and you did not first make sure with your trusted professionals at pharmacy and the doctor's office, then now make sure you tell your pharmacist and doctor that you added anything without letting them know.

We live in rural Kentucky and poison ivy is just a part of life here. :)
And I suppose you know how nice it works to get into the smoke of burning poison ivy. I understand that even dead and dried poison ivy leaves on contact or its smoke can be a problem . . . a big-time problem especially with the smoke. Is this your experience?

Sometimes it stings big time and other times not at all.
I suppose if alcohol or calomine or toothpaste cause stinging, this can mean the skin is more damaged. And I read that alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can be too intense so they can interfere with healing tissue.

Also, is it possible that the silica in toothpaste could work down into damaged tissue and cause microscopic slicing of tissue . . . if the skin is broken enough to let it in?

But if the skin is more intact, so those things do not sting . . . I guess they could be ok.

But I am concerned that toothpaste silica could get worked around in damaged skin, at least, so it could help to damage the skin enough to get an infection or slow the healing. So, maybe a dentist or pharmacist or doctor would know for sure about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For all you might know, I could have been promoting myself as an expert, and this is not allowed, here. So, it could be good to probe and test me, in case I was. So, thanks :) Even if I'm being honest and open to evaluation, this does not mean I must be correct about my ideas and information.

This sounds good, to me :)

One thing, by the way, which seems to have been common advice for decades, at least, is to wash a poison ivy exposure site as soon as possible with soap and water, and this can keep you from ever having a problem.

If you know what poison ivy looks like, you have a good chance to know if you rub it, and right away you can wash with soap and water, and probably not even get the itch. Also, maybe we can get exposed by rubbing our skin on clothing or something else . . . or a pet . . . which has rubbed in poison ivy??

Prednisone is a prescription drug. Therefore, it needs to be used as the doctor has directed. So, if your doctor says to take it in a specific way on a steady basis, it is understood that you should not vary from how the doctor has scheduled you to take it.

And in case your problem does not seem to change because of using the prescription as directed, you should let your doctor know this, and do not just try to find other ways and substances to handle the problem without first making sure your doctor knows.

Especially, do not start adding on some other drug or treatment, unless you first make sure this alternative substance or treatment will not interact badly with the Prednisone!! In case you wish to start some other drug or use an herb or do something else which includes a new substance being used, make sure with your Pharmacist that the Prednisone is safe to take while using any other substance; even if a new substance is used only on the surface of the skin, you need to make sure. And make sure this is ok, with your doctor.

I understand that what I'm offering you is not expert advice on my part, but what is commonly found in print-out instructions which come with prescriptions from a pharmacy. Even over-the-counter medicines and herbs and other substances in certain cases can interact with prescription medicines. So, make sure any new treatment is cleared with your pharmacist and doctor.

And, again, make sure your doctor knows, if the Prednisone still does not seem to be working; plus > in case you have already added any other substances to treatment, and you did not first make sure with your trusted professionals at pharmacy and the doctor's office, then now make sure you tell your pharmacist and doctor that you added anything without letting them know.

And I suppose you know how nice it works to get into the smoke of burning poison ivy. I understand that even dead and dried poison ivy leaves on contact or its smoke can be a problem . . . a big-time problem especially with the smoke. Is this your experience?

I suppose if alcohol or calomine or toothpaste cause stinging, this can mean the skin is more damaged. And I read that alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can be too intense so they can interfere with healing tissue.

Also, is it possible that the silica in toothpaste could work down into damaged tissue and cause microscopic slicing of tissue . . . if the skin is broken enough to let it in?

But if the skin is more intact, so those things do not sting . . . I guess they could be ok.

But I am concerned that toothpaste silica could get worked around in damaged skin, at least, so it could help to damage the skin enough to get an infection or slow the healing. So, maybe a dentist or pharmacist or doctor would know for sure about this.
Breathing burning poison ivy smoke in is actually VERY dangerous... I wouldn't EVER burn it. If you breathed in smoke, go to the doctor please.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Best way to manage poison ivy growing that I've found - goats. We had a huge patch in the area I wanted to use for chickens and rabbits when we bought our farm. I noticed the goats seemed to prefer it as a delicacy, and it didn't bother them at all. So I turned in a few goats and they ate it down so thoroughly it never came back. Anytime I found it growing anywhere else, I'd just set the goats there briefly.

In some places people rent out goats for clearing land. I should have done that. ;)

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0