• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Please...Tell Me What Tribulation Is!

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by Questore, Sep 2, 2017.

1. the old scribe

the old scribe old scribe Supporter

+134
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Any serious Bible student who is objective can decompose Matthew 24-25. Most often Christians follow what they have been taught rather than challenging what they were taught. For those of us of normal intelligence this might be a difficult endeavor, but it is doable.

If a Bible student will start with a harmony of the gospels and the recognition that the Apostle Matthew's account is not primarily chronological but topical, the student is on the right path. The main obstacle when entering the study of the Olivet Discourse is to have the preconceived notion that Matthew 24:4-31 describes events which are in our future simply because the student believes these events have not happened. Discovering that they have happened within forty years of the Ascension of Christ will allow the Bible student to be more objective. Such a misconception is usually the result of not reading commentaries with differing views. Also, reading "The War of the Jews" by Josephus opens up a wealth of information relevant to the "great tribulation" as events during this war.

Generally, proper interpretation of the Bible requires a knowledge of the symbolic-figurative-apocalyptic language as used in the Bible. Taking such terms literally or in an absolute sense (and not as hyperbole) will always result in the misunderstanding of scripture.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. Revealing Times

Revealing Times Well-Known Member

+378
    Protestant
    Married
    I haven't seen anything yet I think you are correct on so that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  3. thetruth0

thetruth0 Member

+9
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    Here is the truth - Except ye be a Prophet with the ability to decipher and assimilate GOD's Spoken WORD at HIS height of communication, then all the study you do by the brain is for nought. For no Man can unseal what the GOD has sealed. It is the unveiling that reveals the person's status, whether they are a man of GOD as his message is what reveals this to you.

The Bible is a Spiritual Book and it is not to be taken literally at all in that HIS WORDS are Spirit and are life.. But that doesn't mean that the things that were written about didn't happen either. Rather, there is a revelation behind everything which reveals the LOGOS. Everything that happened, happened for a reason greater than any man can know or understand except he be a Prophet - a True Prophet Prophesied to come - Malachi 4:4-6, Acts 3:19-23, Rev 10:7, Rev 18:4, Isaiah 60, Ezekiel 37, John 16:12-15

After reading these verses, perhaps you will understand better where the unveiling of Matt 24 has come from.

4. James Honigman

James Honigman Member Supporter

+82
    Christian
    Single
    Hi Questore. Without getting caught up in the minutia of Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21 or for that matter, the entire book of Revelation, such as chapter 13, I have been forced to come to the conclusion there are two tribulations for these final days. The 1st would be the deception of the devil, who will pretend to be Y'shua, deceiving nearly everyone save our Father's elect. The 2nd tribulation would be the wrath of G-d, poured out on an unsuspecting world, not the least of which those who bowed a knee to Satan during the 1st tribulation. My opinion only.

5. Light of the East

Light of the East Orthodox Inquirer Supporter

+1,293
    United States
    Catholic
    Married

Wow! Nothing like twisting the Scriptures to fit your own definition.

6. Revealing Times

Revealing Times Well-Known Member

+378
    Protestant
    Married
    The Troubles of Jacob are not the Day of the Lord/Gods Wrath, you are technically correct, but lets not call Gods Wrath tribulation, God protects Israel, her troubles are the full seven years, and any Jewish person throughout the world who doesn't Flee unto the Wilderness will be in trouble thus in peril of death via the Anti-Christ/Beast. But the Troubles of Jacob start before Gods Wrath, it is with the World as a whole, the pressure on them to make a Peace/Security deal with this Anti-Chris/Little Horn will be enormous.

But the Wrath of God/Day of the Lord comes upon BABYLON/World.

7. Hal A Peno

Hal A Peno Well-Known Member

+147
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    zahn

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. jgr

jgr Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,753
    Non-Denom
    Listen to an historian, or listen to a fantasist.

Easy choice.

9. the old scribe

+134
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Olivet Timing Revealed by Luke’s Gospel:

Christ was a "Partial-Preterist" in the Olivet Discourse.
    -------------------------------------------
    Just adding a little humor.
    Actually, Christ was a futurist concerning this prophecy at the time he made it. Today, one could say Christ is a partial-preterist concerning this prophecy.

Of course, every believer understands some prophecies have been fulfilled. This makes every believer a partial-preterist.

10. the old scribe

+134
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Hal A Peno
    -------------------------

Indeed, you are a jalapeño pepper.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  11. Goatee

Goatee Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.

+3,557
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Divorced
    I think that people interpret Revelation wrongly. I believe that it was all about things that were going to happen within the life of the Apostles. But, I do think that Jesus will come again though. Probably when human kind has all but wiped itself out!

12. the old scribe

+134
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'd like my jalapeño peppers to be tams. Please do not take a post made to guide another, Questore, as an offense to you or your beliefs. Every believer desires to better understand the Bible. What makes us so very "hot" over our religious beliefs is that for each of us our beliefs are usually held to the one, ultimate truth. In this kind of thinking we become fundamentalist. This is not a knock on fundamentalism but just a recognition of what makes us fundamentalist or idealist. If understanding the Bible was simple, all would agree on its meaning.

Accusations are not Bible study nor do they make a point. If you wish for me or others to accept your perspective of the Olivet Discourse, presenting your Bible study would be a first step. But one ought to be aware, many if not most were once futurist. So, they understand the position. It seems many the questions about eschatology on this forum are from those struggling with futurism or futuristic interpretations of passages like the Olivet Discourse.

As believers following Christ we are to love the brethren. As creatures we must recognize or faulty thinking. If our thinking was not faulty our thoughts would produce mass production replicas of ideas.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  13. Hal A Peno

+147
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    f

14. the old scribe

+134
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    In interpreting Matthew 24-25 there are premillennial dispensationalist who interpret Mathew 24:1-31 and 24:1-34 as referring to the Jewish war against Rome (A. D. 67-92) and the A.D. 70 destruction of the temple.

Are you also hot against this view?

15. Hal A Peno

+147
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    zfgn

16. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member

+438
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    Absolutely. People take many OT prophecies out from their Immediate context and put them at the end time to fit in with their preconceived ideas.

17. David Kent

+438
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    It all happened in AD 70 up to the word BUT. The first question?

• 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be?
    This question was answered up to verse 36, then comes the BUT, when he answered the second question.
    • 3 and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    • 36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

18. Hal A Peno

+147
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    SDFhgb

19. Hal A Peno

+147
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    dth

20. David Kent

+438
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    Hardly a sign, because lightning is lightning fast. If you are struck by lightning you may well know nothing about it.