Please show me how to correct my wrong thinking.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want to thank everyone for the kind words, encouragement, and wisdom. I am reading and studying each response.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I already know my thinking is wrong; there is no need to tell me that much. I'd like to know, please, exactly where the errors are and how to correct them with Scripture.

I have it in my head that people's lives are written out beforehand, sort of like a book. Events and outcomes are already decided. This is going to happen on page 16, and that will happen on page 300. There is nothing the character in the book can do to change it. In fact, it really doesn't matter what the character wants. If she wants with all her heart to be a ballerina, but the author has written a story about a character who never gets to be a ballerina, then something will always happen to stop her from becoming a ballerina, because that's the plot.

And, I further have it in my head that my character will never be successful in a career. It's not written in my life story for me to succeed. I'm a Charlie Brown character; he was never supposed to kick that football, no matter how many times he tried. The story of my life appears to be to *almost* succeed, but something beyond my control always interferes.

I'd grown up in poverty, married into domestic violence, escaped it, survived a car accident making my former profession (nursing assistant, which is very physically strenuous) impossible to pursue, was on disability and in subsidized housing for many years, and then married a man who could support me and get me the medical care I needed. I finally overcame disability enough to be able to get a job at all... and now this. I had *just* been promoted at work. I was *almost on the brink* of succeeding. Then they shut the office down, and my husband has gotten word he's going to be laid off too. Now it's right back to wondering how we're going to survive, just like the circumstances I grew up in. I didn't escape that life after all. I only thought I had.

I've just read where this virus crisis could last up to 18 months. That's an awful long time for both me *and* my husband to be laid off. And by the time it's over, with my paltry work history, will I be too old to get another job?

Yes, I realize the virus didn't come into existence merely for the purpose of forcing me and/or my husband out of work. And I realize we're far from the only ones in this boat. But I can't shake the notion that it's written somewhere, I'm not allowed to succeed. If I start to, then something is going to happen to knock me back down to the bottom of the heap.... where I belong, because that's the way the author wrote it.

Will someone please show me Scripturally that 1.) our lives are not written down beforehand, to be completely unchangeable by us, and 2.) God didn't pre-ordain me to be a loser no matter how hard I try?

Thank you.

First of all, you might examine your definitions of "success" and "loser." Our culture has different definitions for those terms from the Bible. God's definition of success is our doing whatever he enables us to do to honor him alone. I know the culture's very different definition because I was a sales manager before I became a pastor. It was to have a lot of wealth and a good income so that people look up to us. Ultimately, it's only God's opinion that counts.

Second, God does have his plan for our lives. Look at Psalm 139:16-18. God clearly called me to the ministry, but a Greek major that was needed caused me to rebel in order to be an English teacher until God renewed that call. I spent 27 years as a pastor until God gave me another call in retirement, to write Christian books. English was the fourth major I considered without asking God, who was guiding me anyway while I was rebelling.

Third, we also have full responsibility for our actions. I was fully responsible for my selfish rebellion, even though God was preparing me to be a pastor and now a writer.

Fourth, ask God persistently to make your lives the center of his will and to take care of you and your husband. Prayer is the key to discovering God's perfect will.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Will someone please show me Scripturally that 1.) our lives are not written down beforehand, to be completely unchangeable by us, and 2.) God didn't pre-ordain me to be a loser no matter how hard I try?

Thank you.

Well, I do believe that our lives are predetermined, but that doesn't mean we don't personally make choices that have consequences. It means that those consequences were also predetermined for a purpose, even if we aren't aware of it at the moment.

In accepting the idea that God is in complete control over the affairs of our lives is a comfort. It shows that nothing is done by chance or luck, but rather has a perfect purpose for you by God's design. There's a reason you grew up that way, there's a reason why everything fell apart, there's a reason why this virus is going to affect many of us severely. It isn't some contingent act, it is God doing something in your life.

Think about Joseph and all the things that happened to him. He had dreams that spoke of a future role, but how he got there was through unfortunate circumstances. He said to his brothers after it all, "You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good." He is a perfect example of how the horrible things in his life, out of his control, was actually by design. He could not have become second ruler of Egypt without them.

Another example is Jesus. His whole life, ministry and death was already predetermined. Men didn't know what they were doing, but they were fulfilling exactly what Scripture foretold they would do.

There is more Scripture that supports this than what you are asking, and if you are willing to hear them I would be glad to show. However, I am aware that most people want to be in denial of it.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I already know my thinking is wrong; there is no need to tell me that much. I'd like to know, please, exactly where the errors are and how to correct them with Scripture.

I have it in my head that people's lives are written out beforehand, sort of like a book. Events and outcomes are already decided. This is going to happen on page 16, and that will happen on page 300. There is nothing the character in the book can do to change it. In fact, it really doesn't matter what the character wants. If she wants with all her heart to be a ballerina, but the author has written a story about a character who never gets to be a ballerina, then something will always happen to stop her from becoming a ballerina, because that's the plot.

And, I further have it in my head that my character will never be successful in a career. It's not written in my life story for me to succeed. I'm a Charlie Brown character; he was never supposed to kick that football, no matter how many times he tried. The story of my life appears to be to *almost* succeed, but something beyond my control always interferes.

I'd grown up in poverty, married into domestic violence, escaped it, survived a car accident making my former profession (nursing assistant, which is very physically strenuous) impossible to pursue, was on disability and in subsidized housing for many years, and then married a man who could support me and get me the medical care I needed. I finally overcame disability enough to be able to get a job at all... and now this. I had *just* been promoted at work. I was *almost on the brink* of succeeding. Then they shut the office down, and my husband has gotten word he's going to be laid off too. Now it's right back to wondering how we're going to survive, just like the circumstances I grew up in. I didn't escape that life after all. I only thought I had.

I've just read where this virus crisis could last up to 18 months. That's an awful long time for both me *and* my husband to be laid off. And by the time it's over, with my paltry work history, will I be too old to get another job?

Yes, I realize the virus didn't come into existence merely for the purpose of forcing me and/or my husband out of work. And I realize we're far from the only ones in this boat. But I can't shake the notion that it's written somewhere, I'm not allowed to succeed. If I start to, then something is going to happen to knock me back down to the bottom of the heap.... where I belong, because that's the way the author wrote it.

Thank you.

You're right, your life has been written out before hand (as you put it) but it's all for good.

Now you usually I just post verses myself, but this site has a lot of verses on it, so I just link it here.

What Does the Bible Say About God Knew Us Before We Were Born?

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

Thank you.
I can certainly understand why you might think that everything in life is ordained from above and you have no choices. That is not how it is. God The Father knows every detail of everything that will ever happen. Have you ever considered what a heavy burden that is for Him to carry? You have whatever opportunity life offers to advance in the medical profession I’m sure. It’s the one business that is going to continue to grow. The fact that you are currently happily married is a great blessing especially after what sounds like an almost unbearable life. God saw your pain and brought you into a better relationship. That alone beats a great many who are either too shy to bridge the gap or too pitiful. It sounds like you have a great deal of life ahead of you.

Our oldest daughter knew she wanted to be a nurse since she was around 5 years old. Both of her grandmothers were RN’s and she was very strong about her goals. She first became a certified nursing assistant. Today she is about finished with her PhD in nursing from KU medical center. She got her masters in nursing and another masters. She married somewhat young to the wrong man. She supported him financially and worked and cut the grass and even worked what little she could on their car I think. The point is that people overcome adversity all of the time. Please pray for God’s Will in your life. Often people think they know better than God when it comes to their life’s desires. Since God is perfectly loving and wants the best for His Children, we must accept this and pray for His Will in our lives. Start doing something towards your goal in the medical field now. I had a guaranteed acceptance into LSU’s Medical School provided I graduated with my mechanical engineering degree. I did graduate with my ME degree but my wife didn’t want me to continue in school. I’ve been retired since the end of 2006. However, last year I tried to go to a medical school for free. They contacted me the final time using a doctor doing his internship in a hospital in New York City. They wouldn’t let me teach and improve some of their infrastructure as fair exchange for the school. I’m 66 years old and probably couldn’t get through it but I would have tried.

Don’t give up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you.
I understand completely how you feel! I feel like Charlie Brown a lot too! I think some aspects of life are preordained, but others aren't. Because of free-will God lets us go our own way to a certain extent, amd other people's free-will affects us too, and bigger circumstances like the virus. But I am sure you know as well as I do all the scriptures where God steps in. There are miracles. He parted the red sea, healed the sick, cast out demons...He cares for His people, and even cares deeply for those who do not love Him.
I think the main thing for believers though, is that we cling to Him and trust in Him. And that we do not think like the world. That we be willing to suffer for Him and with Him; to lay down our lives, because even if we die we live. To die is gain. The living is the hard part! :). And as Mother Theresa said, "We are not called to be successful, we are called to be faithful." And the world's view of success is quite the opposite of God's. He knows the greatest among us is the servant, and that is really true. So if we can do anything to help others with what little we have, we should. And that is the greatest expression of faith and trust in Him.
So I am praying for all the Charlie Brown's in the world, especially those who love Him, and praying He takes care of everyone, but especially His people. And I am keeping in mind my many blessings; things like clean water coming out of a wall, and not living in a war zone; things that many people in the world do not have.
I am praying for you. Please pray for me too!
God is love! How fortunate we are for that! Sometimes I ponder, what if Satan were God? How awful, what torture that would be. Thank you God that you are love and you are good! We praise you for who you are. You are so beautiful! Thank-you for loving us and taking care of us!
And the virus will not last that long. I think China already has it under control. So don't freak out! :) God bless you! Robin

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you.

Blessings in Christ Jesus! Instead of looking at your circomstances, look to Him. There is power in the tongue. Start speaking life. Grab hold of His promises and speak them out loud. In case nobody has told you, we are in a war and the enemy is real. Send him on his way and you will see that you are Blessed.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I don't know if this will answer you.

Firstly it is so important that we mustn't judge our success in life, by worldly standards.

We are not of the world.

You may look at many in the Bible who followed God and see just what losers ( in the worlds eyes) they all were. Let's see, most of all Jesus: He had nowhere to lay His head, was despised by most, friends forsook Him....the list goes on.
What about Paul in prison, was he a success?
Myself in the worlds eyes: a loser.
On disability, health problems, no spouse, no children, the list goes on.
But I have God and when all is said and done that's ALL that really matters.

Nowhere in the Bible are we ever told our lives will be easy, on the contrary we are told that we will suffer persecution and will be hated.
Here is one Scripture for you that is in the end of Genesis where Joseph had endured much at the hand of his brothers and finally after years, was reconciled with his family.speaking to his brothers
Genesis 50:20

"But as for you, ye thought evil against me, but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive".

No matter what happens in a Christians life it doesn't happen by chance God is working it for good.
I believe with all my heart that the situation the world is in now will give all people an opportunity: Christians to draw nearest to God than ever before and rely totally upon Him and His promise to provide all our NEEDS. Matthew 6:25-34.
The other opportunity is for people who don't know God, will realise the answers to life, is not found in man, and I pray they will call out to God in repentance.

God bless you and may you see that you are precious to God, what the world thinks, who cares?
I am reminded of Romans 8.28 also.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.
Instead of trying - and maybe failing - to comment point by point, Romans 8 is a great chapter to consider, I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grampster

Aug 18, 2019
Comstock Park
✟34,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Philippians 4:6-7. Read carefully to see just what you are asked to do and what the Lord promises. It's not worldly success...read the 7th verse very, very carefully for what He promises for your action in verse 6. Accept that promise and then live your life the best way you can. With this Wuhan Virus sweeping over us, we all are being tested at the moment. Some more than others. We have a short time on earth and an eternity with the Lord in Heaven. It is a good trade in my view, yes? The 23rd Psalm comforts me every day as I see all the trials, and yes even the blessings, in our family. We have 2 sons, 4 grandsons, 2 great granddaughters and all of them are having trials in the midst of blessings. As for what you think you feel about yourself, go read Jeremiah 17:verses 5-8. Sort of apply verses 5 and 6 to yourself rather than other humans in general. Then follow that up with applying 7 and 8 to yourself as well. God bless you. Pray for me.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I want to thank everyone for the kind words, encouragement, and wisdom. I am reading and studying each response.
I scanned through all the answers to you so far, and only saw one that hinted at the fact that your choices are one of the very means by which God accomplishes what he predestined to happen from the start. It is not that your are predestined for failure. It is that you are predestined to do every detail God has in mind for you to do. And this is for HIS sake, but also for yours if you choose to pursue him, rather than to favor this life over him.

Mu biggest grief in this life is my sin, and my biggest satisfaction is knowing that God is doing this FOR HIS OWN PURPOSES. I KNOW he will accomplish whatever he set out to do, or he is not God.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some glimmers of hope. Of the four people in this house:

1. My husband may not be laid off after all. His line of work, transportation, is considered essential. They're not shutting it down completely, but they are on a skeleton crew and cutting out some of the runs. This means there is not enough to go around to all of the drivers. He's low in seniority, since he only started the job last year, so it was looking like he would definitely be one of those laid off after the higher-ups snatch up all of the available runs. However, enough people in seniority ahead of him have chosen to furlough themselves instead of taking a run, that there may be one left for him when it's time to bid. He won't know for sure until next Thursday. But if he does end up laid off, he qualifies for unemployment until he's back on the job.

2. For that matter, I might also qualify for unemployment while I'm off, even though my job was only meant to be a long-term temporary position in the first place. Hubby asked the unemployment office about me, and they advised him that I should sign up. I just did. We'll see what happens.

3. My daughter's fiance is in the same line of work my husband is, and the same thing happened with his employer. He's not high up on seniority, but he ended up getting a run instead of having to be laid off.

4. My daughter is on disability and unable to work. Her income will be unaffected. Meanwhile, she's getting better and may not *always* be unable to work.

God is seeing us through. And even if we had half the income, resources, and blessings that we do, I should remember to thank Him and be grateful, instead of complaining about what doesn't go my way.

• Prayers
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would go so far as to say that, not only are our woes determined beforehand, but they are the unfolding of what was promised to our first parents to be the experience of every one of their children, including the man Jesus of Nazareth. What was promised to them was the experience of frustration and sorrow.
But that is not all that they were promised. God also promised deliverance from this frustration and sorrow. God gave to them the proto evangelicum, the first announcement of the Gospel. He gave them hope in a man that would someday break their alliance with Satan. In the Gospel, God determined to deliver us from our frustration and sorrow.
However, and here is the answer to your questions, the remarkable thing about this deliverance is that it does not happen by the removal of our frustration, but it happens in the very midst of it. God uses the very trials of the curse to be a blessing for His people.
1 Peter 1:6-7
you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ

God purifies His people, not outside of the crucible, but while they are burning within it. God treats us as children by disciplining us. He breaks us to the point of realizing that we are nothing and He is everything. The world measures success by socio-economic attainment and by degree of happiness, but our Father measures it by the work He does in our hearts to make us Christ-like in our relationship to Him.

Malachi 2:3-4
who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap. “He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness. “Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old and as in former years."

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Thank you.
I'm thinking I haven't really answered "where [your] thinking is wrong", so I'll try again. You are more or less correct about the book being already written, except, to put it technical look at it, God is not bound by time. Your decisions are part of what he uses to write that book. By that I don't mean he flies his creation by the seat of his pants, waiting for your decision in order to write the book, but that your choices are still yours to make, and that they always have real consequences, which are already written.

My father was a big-time Greek scholar, who's more literal version John 1:9 I will never forget: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to have already forgiven us our sins, and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness." Our concept of time is bound by the sequences we are subject to, but God is not at all bound by this. He is not like us --we are made in HIS image --we are like him, only in ways we don't understand.

If the character in the book wants with all her heart to be a ballerina, likely God has something else for her, hopefully something that includes both happiness in this life and even more in Heaven; if she pursues being a ballerina and is constantly set back on her heels, that may be sad, and it may include hard life lessons that God had in mind for her to make her into what he had in mind for her part in Heaven. I would guess that when we see her dancing in heaven it may well be just about the most beautiful thing we ever saw before. And this life's disappointments will seem like a long-gone dream.

To try to put this from a Biblical point of view, no, we don't change the facts of the book --we help cause them. We are free to choose, and our choices always reflect who we are. So it is better to be IN CHRIST than to be a ballerina. If you can be both, great! If not, "...for me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi LovebirdsFlying, you have some good answers here :) and definitely the Matthew 6:25-34. It's so very good to have all of these believers perspectives, and you can always come back and read this at different times and see the many different truths and encouragements. We cannot control what happens to Us, Only Our Reaction to it. This is where Mind over Matter comes in. A good example of this would be the stories of people who lost a leg in a tragic accident and within the next few years they run an entire marathon. Or any story where somebody is able to stay mentally positive in the face of physical tragedy. It shows so much about their character. Remember Lieutenant Dan in the movie Forest Gump. He started out with biter reaction, and did things the hard way, but he eventually came around! Past failures mean nothing, as long as there's Hope. So i am very happy to see so many perspectives that call for a positive and proactive attitude. That is definitely something God will honor.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

I actually find your theory kind of interesting. I mean, you're talking about predestination and yet you also know that your theory is incorrect on some instinctual level.

But what you want is some scripture to help you turn that theory on its head. At least that's what I read. If that's wrong. Just ignore this post :) Bear with this. Some of this scripture involves sin, but the intent is not to say that your life is a mess right now because of sin, but to point out that this is not the case.

Jesus, speaking of Galilean Jews who had suffered at the hands of Romans and of natural catastrophes he says:

Luke 13
13 There were present at that season some who told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? 3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

It was a common belief in Jesus' time that afflictions such as blindness and lameness were the result of sin in a person's life. Even his disciples were confused about this.

John 9
9 Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him. 4 I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

They thought the man was blind because of his sin or his parents sin. Jesus said neither was true. And he restored the man's sight and the man went in and taught the Sanhedrin the errors of their thinking, which did not go well at all. They accused him of being "born in your sins" and threw him out of the temple. What they really didn't like was that his logic slayed them. If Jesus was a sinner as they claimed, then how could God listen to him and make a blind man see?

God is not punishing us even if we sin. There's one punishment for that and it isn't on earth. God loves you and bestows blessings on you even in the face of your hardships.

Matthew 5
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."

However, he does allow you to suffer the consequences of your own choices. I'm not saying that you are at fault for the hardships in your life because I don't know your circumstances and I couldn't come to a conclusion about that based on what you've told us here. But. You are the writer of your life. If you think that the person behind the pen is somebody else, you may need to come to terms with that. I'm not talking about blame but responsibility.

Though it was in the context of sin that Cain was about to commit, God tried to warn him about it. If God was directing Cain to murder Abel, nay created him to be evil, wrote his story, his conversation with him would make no sense.

3 And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord. 4 Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering, 5 but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.

6 So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

God loves all of us. He loved Cain. Enough that he noticed that his "countenance fell." In other words, Cain looked sad and upset and God made a remark on it. And then he tells Cain that he is responsible for himself and that he must rule over sin. Had God predestined Cain to sin, or had written the story of Cain's life, causing things to happen to him, this conversation would have been superfluous and in essence a lie.

His words to Cain regarding the temptation to sin, tells us much about God's attitude toward us. He loves us and cares what happens to us.

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

The idea that we're predestined for good or bad lives, ie; Donald Trump was destined to be a billionaire and you and I were destined to live hand to mouth, would require God to show partiality. He would have to favor one person over the other. You and I get the dredges, while some billionaire runs the free world. But it's all a matter of perspective. God isn't partial.

Romans 2
11 For there is no partiality with God.

God does not punish us for what other people have done or even what we have done. Yet. And he doesn't try to make us miserable.

Psalm 139
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.

You were fearfully and wonderfully made. You are a marvelous work of God who does not destine you to suffer, though as Christians, we're told that suffering will happen in this life. We should expect troubles. But God sees us for who we are when men do not and we often ourselves do not see it.

1 Samuel 16
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

And he's totally fair. When it comes to righteousness, each person bears his own guilt. He doesn't impute the sins of other people from our past or even sins of our own past onto us. WE are the people who do that sort of thing. We are harder on ourselves than God is sometimes. Our suffering on this earth is due to our own choices and sometimes choices beyond our control. Our mission is to make Godly choices and then trust in God.

Ezekiel 18
19 “Yet you say, ‘Why should the son not bear the guilt of the father?’ Because the son has done what is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes and observed them, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself."

God is fair and just and we are the authors of our lives. Nobody else is responsible for our life and its sorrows. Sadly, life isn't fair.

I would suggest that you think about who is the author of your life if it isn't you. Life will kick you and it isn't fair. But what is success on this earth anyway? It sounds like you're comparing your life to others. Your life is much more than your career or how much money you make. God values you. And if he values you, what is worthy of worry?

Matthew 6
24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"

Paul wrote the following about how people in the world compare themselves to others. It's unwise practice. It's false. As others puff themselves up against others, we can also drag ourselves down in comparison to others.

2 Corinthians 10
12 For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. 13 We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us—a sphere which especially includes you. 14 For we are not overextending ourselves (as though our authority did not extend to you), for it was to you that we came with the gospel of Christ; 15 not boasting of things beyond measure, that is, in other men’s labors, but having hope, that as your faith is increased, we shall be greatly enlarged by you in our sphere, 16 to preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man’s sphere of accomplishment.

17 But “he who glories, let him glory in the Lord.” 18 For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends.

Rather than compare your life to other people and find yourself wanting, glory in the Lord who approves of you, loves you and sent his son to die for you. Count your blessings and trust in God. He loves you and he's infinitely fair.

Praying for you.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I realize the virus didn't come into existence merely for the purpose of forcing me and/or my husband out of work. And I realize we're far from the only ones in this boat. But I can't shake the notion that it's written somewhere, I'm not allowed to succeed. If I start to, then something is going to happen to knock me back down to the bottom of the heap.... where I belong because that's the way the author wrote it.

Thank you.

God gives us free will to find our own path in life. I can't help but notice that when describing your life you only mention the negative. It's up to you to pull yourself up and be positive and find what makes you happy.

The Bible only teaches us what's important. A new car, a good paying job, a nice house, etc. aren't what's important in the grand scheme. This life is just a test for what is to come. Instead of asking God for help ask what you can do for him. I can count on one hand the number of times I've asked for something for myself. I always ask for others or what God wants of me.

Upvote 0

John42

Feb 15, 2020
Toronto
✟20,121.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Excerpt from "The Miracle of Seed Faith" by Oral Roberts:

Leo was a carpenter, and through tight money in the building industry, construction projects had shut down and thrown him and thousands of other men out of work. Months had gone by. He and Jewel had raised a garden, done part-time jobs where available, and managed to get by. Now the part-time work was shut off. With their savings used up, bills piling up, and winter coming on, Jewel was half sick with worry and frustration.

“God is your Source, Jewel,” I said.

She replied, “If only the construction business would start up again, Leo could return to work and everything would be all right.”

I said, “Leo’s employment doesn’t depend on that.”

Startled, she said, “Well, it certainly does. He’s a carpenter, you know.”

“Yes, I know that,” I answered. “And God is in the business of supplying the needs of His children too. Maybe this need came to teach you something about the Lord you’ve never thought about before.”

She said, “What do you mean?”

I said, “God as Source controls all the means of employment. He is not dependent on any one means. He even controls the unexpected sources.”

“I want you to do three things and get this need met,” I said. “First, put your mind directly on God to open up a source even though the construction business is in a slump. Second, start giving to the Lord and when you give, make it Seed-Faith for God to multiply it. Remember, Jesus says that receiving follows giving. Then, third, start expecting a miracle.”

She said, “Oh, Oral, when I give I don’t expect anything back.”

“Well, what do you do when you give?”

She replied, “I just give, that’s all.”

I said, “When you give, who are you giving to?”

She answered, “To the Lord.”

“In other words,” I said, “even though you give to the church, or to some person, you are really giving to God? Is that right?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“Fine,” I said. “Your giving is to God. In the same way, look to God as the Source of your supply, not those who are the recipients of your giving. God is the One you have in mind. When you give, God is the One you are giving to, so start looking to Him as the One who will take what you give to help others, and multiply it back to meet your needs.”

“Do you have anything left to give as seed-money?”

“Well, I have $2. That’s every cent I have left.”

“Give it as your best to the Lord, then ask Him for His best. The greater the sacrifice, the greater the blessing.”

She said, “I’ll start my Blessing-Pact Partnership with God with my last $2.”

I answered, “Jewel, you’ve sowed a lot of seed to the Lord in your life. You sowed Seed-Faith to help me get my healing. Don’t think that God doesn’t see all this. Now you’ve begun to see that through your giving you can redirect your faith. You can know that it is actually seed for an expected harvest; you can have a solid basis on which to use your faith. And remember one other thing: each time you give, make it a point of contact to help you release your faith to God to receive this miracle.”

About two or three weeks later, there was a knock on our front door. Evelyn said, “Oral, it’s Jewel.”

One look at her and I knew God had answered. “Tell me about it,” I said. I thought she would burst as she said, “A contractor called Leo and said he had a job for him for five months, and the way things look, it will be permanent work. The wages are good.”

“What else?” I asked. “You know,” she said. “You know.”

Yes, I knew. I had heard she had obtained a job also.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I can't shake the notion that it's written somewhere, I'm not allowed to succeed.
We know how various people have had things become totally impossible and horrible for them, but then God succeeded in sharing all He did with those people.

Have you read about Joseph? > Genesis 37-50

Upvote 0