Please show me how to correct my wrong thinking.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And even if we had half the income, resources, and blessings that we do, I should remember to thank Him and be grateful, instead of complaining about what doesn't go my way.
God cares about you and how things go. So, it is good to care. But care in the right way >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

"be content with such things as you have" (in Hebrews 13:5)

Our example Paul says >

"I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (in Philippians 4:11-12)

And care about others, not becoming a pity-potter. Be blessed by God, and minister to others how we all can be so blessed with God and loving while we go through anything >

2 Corinthians 1:14-15 says we can comfort any person "in any trouble", by means of the comfort God is giving us. We can be cups running over, then :)

And Hebrews 4:15 says >

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

So, I see from this, how Jesus went through all that He did in this life, so now He can use that to help Him to feel for us and minister to us His grace which made Him . . . so successful, in spite of it all. And we with Jesus can do this: like our High Priest, we can use what we go through to help us to feel for others who are going through things, and minister the comfort and grace of God through ourselves to others. And so we now can share with Jesus in this priesthood function.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd grown up in poverty, married into domestic violence, escaped it, survived a car accident making my former profession (nursing assistant, which is very physically strenuous) impossible to pursue, was on disability and in subsidized housing for many years, and then married a man who could support me and get me the medical care I needed. I finally overcame disability enough to be able to get a job at all... and now this. I had *just* been promoted at work. I was *almost on the brink* of succeeding
This doesn't sound like failure... not one bit.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I already know my thinking is wrong; there is no need to tell me that much. I'd like to know, please, exactly where the errors are and how to correct them with Scripture.

I have it in my head that people's lives are written out beforehand, sort of like a book. Events and outcomes are already decided. This is going to happen on page 16, and that will happen on page 300. There is nothing the character in the book can do to change it. In fact, it really doesn't matter what the character wants. If she wants with all her heart to be a ballerina, but the author has written a story about a character who never gets to be a ballerina, then something will always happen to stop her from becoming a ballerina, because that's the plot.

And, I further have it in my head that my character will never be successful in a career. It's not written in my life story for me to succeed. I'm a Charlie Brown character; he was never supposed to kick that football, no matter how many times he tried. The story of my life appears to be to *almost* succeed, but something beyond my control always interferes.

I'd grown up in poverty, married into domestic violence, escaped it, survived a car accident making my former profession (nursing assistant, which is very physically strenuous) impossible to pursue, was on disability and in subsidized housing for many years, and then married a man who could support me and get me the medical care I needed. I finally overcame disability enough to be able to get a job at all... and now this. I had *just* been promoted at work. I was *almost on the brink* of succeeding. Then they shut the office down, and my husband has gotten word he's going to be laid off too. Now it's right back to wondering how we're going to survive, just like the circumstances I grew up in. I didn't escape that life after all. I only thought I had.

I've just read where this virus crisis could last up to 18 months. That's an awful long time for both me *and* my husband to be laid off. And by the time it's over, with my paltry work history, will I be too old to get another job?

Yes, I realize the virus didn't come into existence merely for the purpose of forcing me and/or my husband out of work. And I realize we're far from the only ones in this boat. But I can't shake the notion that it's written somewhere, I'm not allowed to succeed. If I start to, then something is going to happen to knock me back down to the bottom of the heap.... where I belong, because that's the way the author wrote it.

Will someone please show me Scripturally that 1.) our lives are not written down beforehand, to be completely unchangeable by us, and 2.) God didn't pre-ordain me to be a loser no matter how hard I try?

Thank you.

Maybe this will help 2 Kings 20.

20:1 In those days Hezekiah became mortally ill. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him and said to him, “Thus says the LORD, ‘Set your house in order, for you shall die and not live.’” 2 Then he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, saying, 3 “Remember now, O LORD, I beseech You, how I have walked before You in truth and with a whole heart and have done what is good in Your sight.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly. 4 Before Isaiah had gone out of the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, 5 “Return and say to Hezekiah the leader of My people, ‘Thus says the LORD, the God of your father David, “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will heal you. On the third day you shall go up to the house of the LORD. 6 I will add fifteen years to your life, and I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for My own sake and for My servant David’s sake.”’” 7 Then Isaiah said, “Take a cake of figs.” And they took and laid it on the boil, and he recovered.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are told not to be unequally yoked to another (Deuteronomy 22:10), this is because we won't work together.

We are yoked with Jesus.

He says his yoke is easy.

If it is not easy we are unequally yoked with him.

Jesus is a servant.

If we are not a servant also we are unequally yoked with Jesus.

Become a servant and you will be equally yoked with Jesus and life will be much easier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But I can't shake the notion that it's written somewhere, I'm not allowed to succeed. If I start to, then something is going to happen to knock me back down to the bottom of the heap.... where I belong, because that's the way the author wrote it.

Look, this is the voice of the devil. God wants the best for you. God loves you and died for you. Do you understand how much He loves you to send his only Son to the cross for you? You'll be in my prayers.

Christ love,
Peter

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds a lot like my life. Born in the aristocracy. Family breakdown meant I never knew them growing up and I was brought up by my violent and psychologically abusive dad. He lost everything when I was about 6 or 7 and we went from about to buy a huge house that would now be worth about £5m to living in a rented flat with him on social security. My older brothers went to university but when it got to my turn he said I had to leave college, get a job and start paying rent or move out so I got a job. Worked my way up to a reasonable level and put things in place for a good role in financial services but a couple of company restructures and I got totally stitched up. I then started getting health problems and as a result got sacked. Next 3 or 4 companies the same thing happened, whenever I started getting anywhere some bigwig from head office I had never met did a restructure and I got stitched up. In my career I have had 19 restructures, one was neutral and the others all bad for my career.

There are some positives from it though. I hate money (you cannot love God and money), I am married with children who are doing well, I am very resilient and have coped with everything thrown at me, despite being close to breaking point many times and being broken before God many times. Even this corona virus thing isnt phasing me.

Recently when I was praying and a bit exasperated at things going on I really felt that we should look at the life of Moses. He was brought up in the court of Pharaoh, lost it all, had to run and ended up a shepherd for 40 years far below his stature as a prince of Egypt. He then went and did amazing things for God leading the Israelites out of Egypt. He had them moaning at him, saying they wanted to go back and making idols. He then spent 40 years in the desert and died before then entered the promised land. In total 80 years not achieving what he wanted to, 40 as a shepherd and 40 in the desert. The success he did have was marred by not going as you would want, trouble at every turn and more waiting. He never saw the success that came from what he did, Israel as a nation state.

From his point of view it could well have been a fall from riches into poverty and exile, 40 years of waiting and then he encounters God who sends him into an oppressive situation facing Pharaoh. He then gets away but at the last moment after God divides the red Sea. He then has battle after battle, his people turn against him and complain all the way. All this under the impression one day he will arrive in the promised land, but instead has to wait and never makes it. He may have even died thinking he had failed in his mission. Yet we worry about what happens to us. We also dont always see the benefit of what we do, the answer to prayer, the fruit of our efforts. Ive had a couple of things when I look back I think maybe I have made a difference. A couple of people I led to the Lord doing great work, prayer being answered including when God told me to pray for a church that had been closed and the building being sold; it was a couple of months later re-opened instead and is still going well. Yet I dont feel like a success and humbly give God the credit for these things, I was just a vessel He used.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,224,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Christian Advice Statement of Purpose
Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles that do not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith. We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Christian Advice forum. If members would like to discuss/debate specific Christian theological doctrines, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.

All advice should be given in the spirit of love and humility, extending grace and respect towards one another in an effort to encourage and uplift the member seeking advice. We would like this forum to remain a safe place where Christians can request advice from other Christians without fear of being attacked. With this in mind, posts that chastise or belittle another member will be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. Posts that debate rather than advise will also be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. If you are banned from a thread and would like to discuss the situation with an Administrator, please open a ticket in support.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeking God and not just scripture will certainly help. I constantly find myself in need of God and so I pray for His help and Guidance in my life. I can’t see where I’m going but God lights the way of my feet. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suppose your fears are true. God has chosen you to be a loser. None of us can prove anything, but what if God did make you a loser and there is nothing you can do to change that?

How do you respond?

You could as Job's wife said, "Curse God and die." But that means you only follow him for the benefits. If God doesn't "pay" you enough, abandon your master.

You could spend your time feeling sorry for yourself. That would be very natural and easy. Like Job, you doubt the goodness and wisdom of God, not knowing that he was in the middle of a spiritual war. Would that make anything better?

You could, like the Apostle Peter say, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." If God really made you this way, then he wants you to be thankful for it and cling tightly to him.

While difficult, I encourage you to adapt the thinking of the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 4

7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I already know my thinking is wrong; there is no need to tell me that much. I'd like to know, please, exactly where the errors are and how to correct them with Scripture.

I have it in my head that people's lives are written out beforehand, sort of like a book. Events and outcomes are already decided. This is going to happen on page 16, and that will happen on page 300. There is nothing the character in the book can do to change it. In fact, it really doesn't matter what the character wants. If she wants with all her heart to be a ballerina, but the author has written a story about a character who never gets to be a ballerina, then something will always happen to stop her from becoming a ballerina, because that's the plot.

And, I further have it in my head that my character will never be successful in a career. It's not written in my life story for me to succeed. I'm a Charlie Brown character; he was never supposed to kick that football, no matter how many times he tried. The story of my life appears to be to *almost* succeed, but something beyond my control always interferes.

I'd grown up in poverty, married into domestic violence, escaped it, survived a car accident making my former profession (nursing assistant, which is very physically strenuous) impossible to pursue, was on disability and in subsidized housing for many years, and then married a man who could support me and get me the medical care I needed. I finally overcame disability enough to be able to get a job at all... and now this. I had *just* been promoted at work. I was *almost on the brink* of succeeding. Then they shut the office down, and my husband has gotten word he's going to be laid off too. Now it's right back to wondering how we're going to survive, just like the circumstances I grew up in. I didn't escape that life after all. I only thought I had.

I've just read where this virus crisis could last up to 18 months. That's an awful long time for both me *and* my husband to be laid off. And by the time it's over, with my paltry work history, will I be too old to get another job?

Yes, I realize the virus didn't come into existence merely for the purpose of forcing me and/or my husband out of work. And I realize we're far from the only ones in this boat. But I can't shake the notion that it's written somewhere, I'm not allowed to succeed. If I start to, then something is going to happen to knock me back down to the bottom of the heap.... where I belong, because that's the way the author wrote it.

Will someone please show me Scripturally that 1.) our lives are not written down beforehand, to be completely unchangeable by us, and 2.) God didn't pre-ordain me to be a loser no matter how hard I try?

Thank you.

+ Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

+ Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

+ Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

+ Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do no be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Also, the 18 months thing is the absolute worse case scenario with no interventions. That is no longer the case. You'll be back to work within a few weeks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeterJames0510

Blessed more than I deserve
Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The other thing I would say is that you began your testimony on the basis of meticulous determinism - ie, certain things are written on page 31 and 300 that cannot be changed.

But that presupposes that God is the one who causes evil to happen, or the poor choices of humans, or the environment in which we live. I think it's better to say there is no official 'book', but simply that God knows everything. He knows what choices we will make along with what choices He will make. Nothing takes Him by surprise. It's not a matter of us having to 'change' a certain something on a certain page; rather to bring everything to His feet and ask Him what our best choices will be. Sometimes we will fail, sometimes we will make mistakes. That's not God's fault, nor should we find fault in ourselves if we did not consciously aim to fail. Rather, through failure, we learn from our mistakes and continue to move forward.

I'm afraid if we think there's a 'book' somewhere out there where God has written down everything we're going to do (meticulous determinism) including our sins, then we're going to say "what's the use" instead of "God, make me useful."

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟521,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.
According to Scripture...several places...but look at Psalm 139:15-17:
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!

This doesn't mean that once you run into crisis you must resign yourself to failure as though you also have foreknowledge. God's plans for His children include walking down rocky and even dangerous roads in life and these difficulties are trials to us, but look to Him and let Him grow your faith. (Easy to say huh?) See Job as an example though and how his many calamities were turned around; because of his faith he was greatly blessed.

James 1:2
1 Peter 1:6-9

Upvote 0

Ayenew

Mar 2, 2019
Addis Ababa
✟35,266.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Thank you.

I may not be the one to advice you (as I am new). But, I believe you can and will change, as far as you have a good heart. And God could by no means be an obstacle for your success. I would rather say your feeling and fear of failure may let you down.

Many of God's men in the Bible were 'unsuccessful' at first. Abraham and Sarah was not successful in getting a son, Isaac and Rebecca, Jacob, Joseph ... But they were successful men of God at last, to be remembered throughout generations.

And there is this verse, if it is related. Luke 18.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Commodore64Fan

Super-passionate about writing my own songs!
Mar 20, 2020
Thousand Palms, CA
✟8,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
The only power we have, which God gave us is the power of choice. If you don't like what you are thinking, then change it. Positive people can see the positive side of everything that happens in their life.

Accept everything, regardless if you like it or not. This is being unconditional towards God. You can't go wrong.

Hi Ahermit!

I loved your answer so I gave it a 'like'. I'd like to have your input, please, on an issue that is related to both Asperger's Syndrome and Christianity. How may I e-mail you directly, please or may I have a video chat with you? Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1.) our lives are not written down beforehand, to be completely unchangeable by us,

When Jesus talked about the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah and the people of Noah's day, he did not mention anything about sexual immorality. Instead, he said they were eating, drinking, planting, building, marrying, and buying and selling; all ordinary, normal, every-day activities (Lk 17:26-28). There is nothing immoral about any of these things in themselves, though. The problem was that people had become so caught up in their day-to-day activities that they had stopped caring about what God wanted and were destroyed as a result.

Your job and the various aspects of your day-to-day life are very important to you, but what if, like those people of Sodom and Noah's day, that importance has come at the expense of hearing from God? What if you, like they, have fallen into the trap of believing that these every-day activities are the extent of life and that there is nothing beyond going to work each day and paying the bills?

For anyone who is trapped inside that kind of thinking, perhaps the silver lining of this pandemic is that it's forcing us to slow down and rethink what really matters most to us (and to God).

2.) God didn't pre-ordain me to be a loser no matter how hard I try?

One of the greatest tools you have in changing your thinking is to habitually ask yourself if you're being rational. Did God create you to fail? It's a question worth exploring if it can be done sincerely. Rationally speaking, it would make no sense that he would want failure, in the same way that you would not treat a patient in hospital with the intent of failing. Perhaps you are doing everything right, but if the patient refuses to follow instructions properly and his choices lead to further failures in his health, you did not design the treatment to fail. If you knew the patient made choices contrary to your instructions and then he accused you of wanting the treatment to fail, you would understand that such an accusation would be not only unfair, but hurtful, too.

And that's where our relationship with God comes in; are we following his instructions properly? Is it really God's will for you and your husband to spend the rest of your lives trading your time and skills for money so that you can pay the bills?

Jesus talked about something new which he called it the Kingdom of Heaven. He said that when we pray, we should ask that God's will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven (Mt 6:10). In Heaven, do you think they spend their time trading their services for money so they can pay the bills?

A little further on he says we should not store up treasures here on earth and that our new job is to work for God's Kingdom full time (Mt 6:19). He said we cannot work for both God and money at the same time without cheating on one or the other and that we will love one and hate the other (Mt 6:24). He said we should not let fears about food and clothing (the most basic necessities) stop us from working for his Kingdom (Mt 6:25-31).

He said all the nations of the world spend their time chasing after these material things, but that we should not be like them (Mt 6:32). We are called out and set apart. We are witnesses of a different kind of economy where, instead of demanding payment for our services (i.e. I'll only help you if you pay me), we share our time and skills with others for their benefit.

Jesus promised that anyone who does decide to step out in faith and practice these principles will be taken care of by God (Mt 6:33). God is our creator and he knows what we need; the most important need we have as spiritual entities inhabiting fleshly bodies is to understand that life is more than food and clothing. Abraham was willing to sacrifice his own son to prove to himself that God really did come first in his life, that there is something more important than flesh. Most of us can appreciate the good sense in that lesson while at the same time we breathe a sigh of relief that God has not asked for such a demonstration from us and yet he has; we are to put the values of his kingdom first even before our necessary food and clothing.

It would be better for us if we were to step out in faith willingly simply because it is what Jesus asked us to do, but even still, in this situation where a worldwide crisis has essentially forced so many of us into a situation where we cannot spend our time working for money, why not take this opportunity to explore the practical application of those teachings? Pray with and talk to your husband about it. Look for opportunities to promote the Kingdom of Heaven in practical ways trusting that God will look after you and, in the unlikely event that you do end up starving, at least you'll go out knowing that you served the Kingdom in those last days as opposed to wringing your hands over material worries.

Upvote 0