• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Please pray for me - A silly mistake

mmm1234

Feb 7, 2005
✟117.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Hi,
Here in the UK we do our A levels from age 17-18. My school hands out 2 hour saturday detentions to even older students if that misbehave - I know, how patronising.

I have good relations with all of my teachers, and I am quite bright, so they all like me.

We have free periods during the week (most in other schools get to leave the school during this time), but are not allowed to leave. We simply have to go to a supervised hall and study in silence. I went in one friday, and felt completely irritated, as you sometimes do. I made the mistake of talking with a friend, and I got a warning. Then on the way out I threw a paper ball towards the waste paper basket and missed. The supervisor used this as an excuse to give me a saturday detention (he seemed very irritated too).

I am now really upset. I regret doing what I did, but now that my other teachers know (as a result of my free period supervisor's exaggerated explanation of it), they now look at me as a complete bad guy.

What can I do to get in their good books? I was looking forward to an excellent reference for my med school application, and as a result of one mistake I made, they now probably see me as not serious about my desire to get into med school - in reality I am burning to get in to med school.

Please, please, please pray for me, for everything to go back to normal and for my exams and med school application to go well, and for my relations with all my teachers to become good again.

Thank you so much.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awww that's such a shame. :( Can you go to a teacher, maybe one you can talk to, and say that you realise you will have to do the detention, but you did what you did because you were having a bad day, you are sorry it happened and are worried about it affecting a future university/med school reference?

My husband has just said that it's very unlikely they would mention anything like that in your reference. He's a teacher himself, and says that they only mention positive things about you. Your school has spent years educating and preparing you for the next stage in your life, I think it's unlikely they would do anything to mess that up. I would think that the detention would be the end of it. And, to be honest, I think a 2 hour detention for talking and hitting the floor instead of the bin with a piece of paper is a bit harsh anyway. In the very unlikely event that this did get onto your reference, you'd be entitled to put your side of it.

But I will pray. :prayer:

Upvote 0

BlackRain

Dec 21, 2004
texas
✟8,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
you've got some strict teachers. don't worry about it. but, then again, i don't know what it's like living in the UK. getting a detention will not keep you from goin into med school, i can promise you that. to get in their good books, do nothing wrong for the rest of the school year. be kind and smile at them. use good judgement on when to do things and when not to. it's one detention...i'm sure there are people in your school who have gotten like 10 or 20. i know in mine there are. but, really...i'm sure it'll get back to normal monday. do you think your teachers would hold it against you because you got one detention? pray about it and don't sweat it because you don't know what next week holds, right? don't stress about something that you don't know is worth stressing over.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was accused of bullying, when in actual fact, the bullying was happening to me! o.o What I did, was get my parents involved. Honestly, parents and notes here are like large sums of money, they can get you anything, at least in high school ;) Get them to come along, and vouch for your innocence. Do you have a dean? Go to the deans. Deans here are the people you go to if you need help. Who does that in your school (not the counselor.. this is like a teacher is like, represents you sort of thing) we went and saw our deans, the quickly straightened things out. Got any evidence here also? I had some emails in which this kid actually swore at me, and threatened me, maybe some eyewitnesses who will say that yes it was unfair? If confronted by the parents, though, the teachers do get a bit scared, and often don't make excuses, and are just flat out honest (one time I asked a teacher on how to improve on the next assignment because my marks wern't as high as I hoped. She proceded to yell at me. My parents got involved, she quickly apologised and said it was her problem, not mine) but sometimes even this can't help, and I'm sorry on your behalf, because I know how unfair it is to be falsey accused! :( God knows, and remember, everything happens for a reason. Although I'm basically 100% positive this won't be going on your permanment record, if this somehow does magically keep you out of med school, then remember, God knows, and theres a reason you're not going, try and embrace something new, even if it is extremely hard, and find out what his real plan is for you :)

Upvote 0

CynthiaSpeaks

Big Bad Bart... He's my dream!
Dec 2, 2004
Oregon
✟8,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I doubt they will ruin your med school chances over one bad day. They will look at the entire picture instead.

However, if you are that concerned, how about going to the teachers involved and humbling yourself before them. Just tell them you had an off day and you want to apologize for your actions.

I have found an apology goes a long way in situations like this. Once done, don't worry about it any longer. God will take care of the rest.

Upvote 0

joerose

Feb 13, 2005
California
✟689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi! You dont have anything to worry about. You are obviously a very caring and considerate person. I'm a Teacher and cant imagine your Teachers changing their opinion about you over something like that. I'm sure they like you very much and you have to remember that when they were your age they most likely did some things that they wished they hadnt. If you are really worried about it, I'd tell them how you feel and that you are sorry. They want you to succeed and they know you as you really are. Remember that Teachers are human too and not one of us is perfect. I guarantee you every single one of them including myself has done something during our school years that we shouldnt have. Talking, throwing something, not finishing an assignment, being late for class....whatever. Its okay that you did that. Just dont do it again and forgive yourself. Good luck in med school. You are going to make a great Doctor! I will pray for you.

Upvote 0