Mar 26, 2005
✟8,039.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For the past two years I have been through hell and back with my wife. She definately has some kind of mental issues...last feb she checked herself in to a mental hospital, and they thought it was bad depression, our counselor now thinks she has borderline personality disorder...none the less the worst thing is she has very irrational anger. I am not perfect, but she says she was not like this before she met me. I have said some things i shouldnt, like anyone...for example this wkd she cut the cord to my fan because i left it on, and she also cut up my w2 forms due to anger. I got upset, and did end up saying i was going to a lawyer, and she didnt like that..now today i have tried to be nice, now she wants a divorce. We seperated for a little while because she wanted to, and ended up coming back together...now she says she wants a divorce. I am very hurt, i have stuck by her through a lot of absolutely crazy stuff..even my family who is Christian think i should leave, but im trying to be a good person...and it just seems like my life sucks...i have always tried to be a good person, and keep getting hammered with this crap. Please offer advice and prayer.

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Beef

If your wife really does have a mental issue then she must get treated. You situation will not improve without some success in treatment.

I sure hope that whatever happens that your marriage gets better. Nobody wants to see another Christian marriage break up.

With the very limited information that you provided I can only take a guess at some advice. You seem to be vulnerable and think in some way that you are the reason for your wife’s situation. You mentioned twice about trying to be a nice person. I think that the fact that your wife told you that she was not like this (mental issue) before she married you is affecting you. If that is the case I hope that you know that the cause of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) does not include you in the latest information about this disorder. (See reprint below)

As with other mental disorders, the causes of BPD are complex and not fully understood. One finding is a history of childhood trauma, abuse or neglect, although researchers have suggested diverse possible causes, such as a genetic predisposition, neurobiological factors, environmental factors, or brain abnormalities.

Another piece of advice would be for you to do everything in your capability to help your wife, which I bet you are doing. In addition, work diligently in getting yourself built up body, mind, and spirit. This will help you to better help your wife and yourself. DO NOT put all of your efforts into helping your wife to the exclusion of helping yourself. With a false guilt complex this is what sometimes happens.

Finally, get as close as you can to God so that you will be able to handle this situation no matter the outcome.

Stan

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Stan..what little I know about borderline personality..is its about equivelant to someone with narcissistic personality disorder ..IF its "anyones fault" it would be how she was raised..or other factors SHE had/has nothing to do with neither DID or DO you now..

Your only hope is if she will take that diagnosis and start ACTIVELY and with all her ability getting counseling and behavioral therapy..its not like "depression " to my undertanding it cant be treated with medicines..(at least not aone)..

She can be helped but if thats what she has?Is a serious mental illness and its not going to go away with you just "trying to be nice"..I'm not saying you shouldnt be nice.being not nice can make her a lot worse plus thats obviously not right...but no amount of being nice to her is going to teach her to manage or to cope and change her distorted view of herself and the world..she needs serious ongoing therapy.

Dallas

Upvote 0

gabrielle2012

Feb 28, 2012
✟15,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying you should walk on eggshells, but saying you were going to a lawyer likely set her off. She may be saying divorce as a preemptive strike because you said lawyer. I do not have BPD, but if my husband were to threaten me with divorce, he'd better be prepared to follow through. That is not something to bandy about lightly & some people are more literal than others. Being nice doesn't erase hurtful words.

That said, I do hope she has a good therapist. It may also help you to seek counseling both to know how to help her and how to cope with the mental & emotional impact her illness has on you.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2012
Way out in the Arizona desert
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Borderline Personality Disorder as you are no doubt finding is a difficult diagnosis to deal with. As stated above, one of the more common symptoms is essentially being selfish. It's all about them. When you separated you had a big fight, when you got together again you had a big love in. Now that it's boring again she's talking about divorce right out of the blue. Attention seeking behavior is a hallmark of BPD.

Unfortunately BPD isn't usually treatable with psych meds and it may be misdiagnosed as bipolar. According to a study at he University of Delaware people who have disorders which are resistant to psych meds tend to be misdiagnosed as having a disorder which is treatable by psych meds. She may be taking unnecessary psych meds which are screwing her up, only a psychiatrist can say. It sounds like she is not getting better with the psychiatrist you have, how about a second opinion?

Don't use bargain psychiatry! Get someone who knows what their doing. It will be ungodly expensive but it's the cheapest way out of your situation.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Find out if she is in fact borderline personality (proper diagnosis) and which sub-category she fits into, then read up on the condition and join a support group for spouses of people with BPD. I believe there are five sub-categories, and how best to communicate with her would depend on which category she is in. You may also need to seek resources through a professional yourself to help you cope with your emotions and to tweak your coping skills to deal with her. If she is BPD, with proper help she can improve, but may never overcome BPD.

Praying for you. I have a close family member who is borderline personality "queen" category and it can be very difficult to cope with.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with the idea that the only way for someone to get straightened out from something like this is going to a psychiatrist and taking drugs. I'm not saying what they do necessarily has no value, but I do suspect much of our country is over-medicated.

There are some things that people take medicate for that could be alleviated by learning self-control, dealing with anger and forgiveness issues, taking thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ, or even deliverance from a demonic stronghold.

I certainly hope you work things out during this difficult time. But one thing you need to learn is to control your tongue. Don't make any references to divorce when you have a heated discussion with your wife.

I am curious. Does your wife usually get angry like this right before her period, or can it happen just about any time?

You should also really seriously pray for your wife-- a lot, and do it in faith. Get some people to help you pray. I posted a testimony about this quite a while back, but my wife and I had some issues. I have not been as good at recognizing her flaws and she has been at recognizing mine. :) After an argument one time, I began to see she had some issues about some things. And while I'd mentioned it over the years, mainly during arguments, I hadn't really taken responsibility either to pray about it or to really hold her accountable on these issues. She had some anger issues. I didn't put my finger on that as the cause. It was kind of subtle, not what you describe with your wife, and came through more as bickering or frustration on her part.

So I prayed seriously about it. One night, she was all upset with pregnancy hormones. I said something to her, something pretty normal, and for some reason she got all upset and ended up leaving the house without telling me. She had never done that before. Later, she called me from a friend's house a lady from church. I felt that she was safe, both physically and in terms of the advice she would get. So I prayed for her. I prayed really specifically for about six or seven things, asking the Lord to speak to her heart about them.

She was going to this 'life change' Bible study, and came home one night telling me how the Lord had convicted her of about 4 or 5 of the things I had prayed about two or three nights before. I shared with her what I had prayed. There was another thing I had prayed about respect issues, where I mentioned the verse, "even as Sarah obeyed Abraham calling him lord" to the Lord. But I didn't want to go into that with my wife, so I asked the Lord to speak it to her. A couple of weeks later, she was in the kitchen, and told me later how the Lord had spoken to her about this very issue. She mentioned something else, too, that I had prayed about around that time.

It was really wonderful the change in her in response to those prayers. The Lord was working on me about some things about that time, and I began to see the need to step up in certain leadership areas in the marriage and in the household. It really has been a blessing to both of us, and our marriage has been better since then. I'd prayed for my wife before this, of course, but it was amazing to me how the Lord answered my prayers in faith. I didn't have to do much, just pray and trust God, and He did it. I had told the Lord that my wife was His daughter, and He loved her even more than I did. I knew it was His will for her to obey His word, and I knew that anything we ask according to His will, He will hear it. So I asked him to speak to her about these things.

Once your wife is aware that she has some things in her heart that need changing, then you can offer encouragement, and if need be, admonishment if she slips up, and help her improve.

Proverbs 25:28
He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

Paul lists 'self-control' as a fruit of the Spirit in Galatians. I don't think medicating is the universal answer to helping people who experience fits of rage and lack restraint in their words and actions when they get angry.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2012
Way out in the Arizona desert
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are some things that people take medicate for that could be alleviated by learning self-control, dealing with anger and forgiveness issues, taking thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ, or even deliverance from a demonic stronghold.

I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment and I'm guessing that would work for most people. However the severity of mental illness is on a sliding scale and if someone is on the far end of that scale there is little if no hope of developing the coping skills in time to mitigate it enough to hold down a full time job and still have a life left to live.

The mentally ill live 30 years less than the general population, compare that with 18 years for heart disease. Because of that I don't feel it is responsible for encouraging a person to stay off psych meds.

I'm bipolar. My strategy was to take my psych meds until I was "in the neighborhood" of mental health so to speak and then develop my coping skills from there including furthering my Christian walk. I'm happy with how it has turned out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For the past two years I have been through hell and back with my wife. She definately has some kind of mental issues...last feb she checked herself in to a mental hospital, and they thought it was bad depression, our counselor now thinks she has borderline personality disorder...none the less the worst thing is she has very irrational anger. I am not perfect, but she says she was not like this before she met me. I have said some things i shouldnt, like anyone...for example this wkd she cut the cord to my fan because i left it on, and she also cut up my w2 forms due to anger. I got upset, and did end up saying i was going to a lawyer, and she didnt like that..now today i have tried to be nice, now she wants a divorce. We seperated for a little while because she wanted to, and ended up coming back together...now she says she wants a divorce. I am very hurt, i have stuck by her through a lot of absolutely crazy stuff..even my family who is Christian think i should leave, but im trying to be a good person...and it just seems like my life sucks...i have always tried to be a good person, and keep getting hammered with this crap. Please offer advice and prayer.

BPD is a very problematic disorder and difficult to treat. My advice is to encourage her to go to therapy and follow treatment guidelines. Maybe ask to go with her to be informed on how to better support her. Be the best husband you can be realizing that your wife is ill. Do some research on BPD yourself. Protect her but also keep yourself out of harms way. Lean on God as never before, praying for your marriage, your wife, and try to include her in on the prayer, also asking if she will pray for you and your marriage. I am hopeful that you can find your way out of this the two of you. My priorities, God first, my wife second, me third. "You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with the idea that the only way for someone to get straightened out from something like this is going to a psychiatrist and taking drugs. I'm not saying what they do necessarily has no value, but I do suspect much of our country is over-medicated.

Borderline personality disorder isnt a "chemical" imbalance in the brain.If she needed meds for anything it woud be secondary to her BPD ..Borderline personality disorder is along the lines of "sociopathy" or naricisstic personality..of which drugs have no affect..So your opinion on society beign over medicated really doesnt relate t what this woman is diagnosed with..

This woman woud need BEHAVIOR therapy..as a main treatment..BPD is also known as multiple personality disorder..praying for her to become more submissive..isnt going to change this LEARNED persnality formed form childhood thats warped..

And its LUDICROUS that anyone would suggest that a NORMAL healthy in the mind woman will become a BORDERLINE a personality over her PERIOD...there are extreme types of PMS YES its rare ..but thats a different DIAGNOSIS than BPD..

She has been to medical people shes diagnosed with BPD..why does her PERIOD have anything to do with this SERIOOUS mental diagnosis??????

When is the last time you heard of a woman SPLITTING her personality over her period?It doesnt MEET the criteria....Its not her "period"..

Dallas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And its LUDICROUS that anyone would suggest that a NORMAL healthy in the mind woman will beome a BORDERLINE personality voer her PERIOD...there are extreme types of PMS YES its rare ..but thats a different DIAGNOSIS than BPD..

She has been to medical peopel shes dignosed with BPD..why does her PERIOD have anythign to do with this SERIOOUS mental diagnosis??????

Her 'counselor thinks' she has BPD. That doesn't sound too solid to me, necessarily. I didn't read the word 'diagnose' in the post, either. A counselor isn't 'medical peopel' unless he's talking about a psychiatrist or an M.D. or some other medically trained individual who also happens to be a counselor. The counselor might also be a psychologist, but would need to refer out if meds are considered as an option.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Her 'counselor thinks' she has BPD. That doesn't sound too solid to me, necessarily. I didn't read the word 'diagnose' in the post, either. A counselor isn't 'medical peopel' unless he's talking about a psychiatrist or an M.D. or some other medically trained individual who also happens to be a counselor. The counselor might also be a psychologist, but would need to refer out if meds are considered as an option.

Licensed Professional Counselors and Licensed Clinical Social Workers are authorized to diagnose that disorder, in any case, medical and psychosocial help seems prudent.

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Truly Loved... as are you.
Sep 28, 2008
On a planet that needs healing.
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
I would ask her to come together with you and have some quiet time, and pray. She may have anger issues, but they can be managed as you have done. Maybe ask her what makes her relax the most, and do it for her. It's hard to deal with things like a cut cord and ruined forms, but cords can be fixed and forms can be replaced, just as your marriage can be mended. I recommend just sitting down and having a face to face, honest talk with her about what's really bothering her and what you two can do to manage things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well COUNSELORS can have PHD's...besides that Im would BET MY MONEY as I have SPENT money on counselors if they have spent any time with her..AND have her MEDICAL records form her hopsital visit..they have probably RULED out her 'period" as the cause of her extreme and disturbing behavior..or that maybe if he woudl "pray" for her to be more submisive that her illness would heal itslef..

And I never said anything about "counselors' prescribing meds..Im fully aware that a PHD psychologist can not write prescriptions I went to one every week for 3 years..I PAID a psychiatrist SEPERATELY to prescribe any meds..Thats not the point..the point is if a PROFESSIONAL has already determined she has BPD..its NOT her 'period" and its not a 'submission issue"..She would need in depth ongoing ad serious behavioral therapy which I would again BET her couselor is fully capable of directing her and her husband on how to attain that extensive ongoing treatment.Or if the counselor isnt QULALIFIED to make a FIRM diagnosis of BPD then they would refer her..In the meantime its like saying..hmm..we suspect this persn MIGHT be a sociopath..and someone saying..well..does she get cranky aroudn her period ?And maybe if she would just "allow you to lead" then they really dont need any prfessional help at all..thats over rated anyway..

Dallas

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well whatever they do I know we all want the best for them. Since the most powerful spiritual weapon and tool God has given us is prayer, let us all pray for them no matter our thoughts or suggestions.:groupray:

Yes ..my prayer is they find excellent and effective treatment for her condition and that she makes great improvements quickly so her torture and his torture will be lifted and they can live in peace..

Praying for excellent mental health care to come thier way soon..:prayer:

Dallas

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well COUNSELORS can have PHD's...besides that Im would BET MY MONEY as I have SPENT money on counselors if they have spent any time with her..AND have her MEDICAL records form her hopsital visit..they have probably RULED out her 'period" as the cause of her extreme and disturbing behavior.

I was not operating under the assumption that she had medical tests. I was talking about PMS, and there is an extreme form of that.

.or that maybe if he woudl "pray" for her to be more submisive that her illness would heal itslef..

Where would you get this idea? Submission is for the most part off topic on the forum. Why bring that up in a conversation like this? I encouraged him to pray for his wife's own issues. If that's one of them, fine. He mentioned anger issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0