Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, most say it tastes just like a hamburger, not hamburger because of meat taste, but how a hamburger (again the unit not just the patty) tastes... cheese, tomato, condiments, onions and the like over-riding any taste the patty itself might have. Remember back when patties were vegetation and animal fat? It could haven gone either way.
Actually, it tastes a lot like meat. It’s a game-changer. The sausage is pretty amazing too. I haven’t read the ingredients on the impossible burger but beyond beef is mostly pea protein and coconut oil.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Have had and trued this trademarked product for over a year at A&W but double the price of a regular burger hasn't helped sales any. The product has been around for 10 years. The no soy, gluten or GMO should draw in the crowds. Tim Hortons has dropped it from their menu after sales dropped due to fear mongering of DC lobbyists who claim that the product is too salty and maybe unhealthy. Of course the cattle industry that pumps antibiotics and growth hormones into American beef (illegal in Canada) agrees claiming their product is better.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm interesting.. I'll have to try one of these burgers.. doubt I'll be able to tell the difference (besides texture). Lacking a sense of smell (and I've read much of what we consider taste is actually smell) most foods tend to blend in with one another for me. Whether they be really cheap or really expensive.
Have you tried only eatting when your mouth tells you that you are hungry? When my body wants food the food taste better. My grandma has the same problem as you. Can't get the piglet to test my theory.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The Impossible Whopper was test marketed here in St. Louis. My wife and I tried it. It does have the taste and texture of a grilled hamburger. Hers was quite good. Mine was tasty, but a little dry.

It's my understanding that the product contains heme. Which is an iron containing porphyrin ring molecule. It's a constituent of hemoglobin and myoglobin in animals, and acts as an oxygen carrier. It's also what gives meat its characteristic taste and color. Plants have a form of it too, in smaller amounts. The Impossible meat products are made with leghemoglobin (short for legume hemoglobin found in peas.) I read that for the meat substitute, it's synthesized by genetically modified yeast cells, which can produce large quantities. And that's why the product tastes like meat.

375px-Heme.svg.png

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
found out Burger King is selling a "plant-based meat" burger, the Impossible Burger (I don't watch TV and the Internet is my only source of news). So I went out and tried it a week ago and I couldn't tell it wasn't made from beef. I suspect it has more fiber than a regular burger, and it didn't taste as greasy, but it didn't taste like a typical "veggie burger".
Tried one from BK Sunday. It smelled right but the taste was missing something. Not quite sure WHAT was missing, but the lack was noticeable.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it's synthesized by genetically modified yeast cells,
Interesting. So it cannot be eaten during Passover.
Good to know.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We bought some Beyond Burgers last week, which I cooked at home.
I was pleasantly surprised at the taste and texture.
I dressed my sandwich just as I would had it been beef, it tasted like a burger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you tried only eatting when your mouth tells you that you are hungry? When my body wants food the food taste better. My grandma has the same problem as you. Can't get the piglet to test my theory.
She cannot smell either? I don't think food tastes more when I am hungry. Eating is more enjoyable when I am hungry but I think it is more psychological than anything. Only thing I can really do is add a lot of sauce and hot peppers, lol..

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I suppose it's kosher. And now you can eat a kosher cheeseburger. :oldthumbsup:
There is a difference between Rabbinic Kosher and biblical Kosher.

The mixing of meat and milk is a rabbinic extension of not boiling a young goat in its mother's milk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tradition says inhaling the vapours of boiling garlic over a week and watch the missing sense come back.

Lol, not sure I'd want to be able to smell.. seems like most of the time people complain about things being "stinky".. lol.

While I wish I could enjoy food more, it is also hard missing something you never had.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lol, not sure I'd want to be able to smell.. seems like most of the time people complain about things being "stinky".. lol.

While I wish I could enjoy food more, it is also hard missing something you never had.
When I used to smoke weed it made food taste better, have you tried becoming a pothead? Lol jk

sounds like this veggie burger would be right up your alley.

Lack of smell and sadism, any link between the two?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All meat is plant-based. Animals eat plants, and it becomes meat.

It doesn't matter what we do, we aren't going to do it right. In fact we're going to make it worse. :D

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lack of smell and sadism, any link between the two?

Of course.. what do you think being unable to smell the pretty little flowers does to the mind? :confused: Lol..

• Haha
Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0