Planet Fitness sees $400 MILLION wiped off value just five days after banning member who exposed 'trans woman' shaving in the female locker room

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What's the problem then?
The problem isn't about how this person looks. You have decided that they are not female and were the one in the wrong, so the publication of a photo taken in the locker room without permission is OK. It really doesn't matter now feminine they look.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem isn't about how this person looks. You have decided that they are not female and were the one in the wrong, so the publication of a photo taken in the locker room without permission is OK. It really doesn't matter now feminine they look.
I'm viewing the picture taking as a separate issue. In my opinion a business has the right to ban a customer for violating a rule. The other issue is men being in women's locker rooms. I don't decide a male is not a female, any more than I decide that a fruit is not a vegetable. In reality men are not women. And men should not be in women's locker rooms. A man might fantasize about being a woman, but he is still a man. The question is how far should society allow a fantasy to go, and how much reality has to be suspended or altered to accommodate fantasies.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Of course I'm far from being the only person by a long shot. And it's certainly not limited to Planet Fitness or the two customers in question. As you're saying here is an issue affecting society as a whole. And the movement in question wanting to make a change, is the one that wants men in women's locker rooms. Or moreover the movement that want's everyone to accept or believe that a man who's obviously a man, is really a woman if he says he is. Personally I find it rather bizarre that I can go into a woman's locker room and shower with them now, if I claim to identify as a woman or as nonbinary or whatever.

It is? I have never been affected by it. I doubt many on this board have been affected by it. It seems to me this is a rather small problem that has been blown way out of proportion. Certainly it is not such a great issue that our entire society is grappling with it as an issue.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is? I have never been affected by it. I doubt many on this board have been affected by it. It seems to me this is a rather small problem that has been blown way out of proportion. Certainly it is not such a great issue that our entire society is grappling with it as an issue.
Just because there are those who aren't grappling with it doesn't mean it hasn't had an affect on them. However, I think you're right in that I probably should have said something more like 'throughout society' or 'society in general' or just plain 'society'.

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm viewing the picture taking as a separate issue. In my opinion a business has the right to ban a customer for violating a rule. The other issue is men being in women's locker rooms. I don't decide a male is not a female, any more than I decide that a fruit is not a vegetable. In reality men are not women. And men should not be in women's locker rooms. A man might fantasize about being a woman, but he is still a man. The question is how far should society allow a fantasy to go, and how much reality has to be suspended or altered to accommodate fantasies.
And PF decided that the thing you object to does not violate their policies and you've decided to cancel your membership. Seems finished, unless you need to interfere in a private business.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And PF decided that the thing you object to does not violate their policies and you've decided to cancel your membership. Seems finished, unless you need to interfere in a private business.
Men in women's restrooms and locker rooms is a growing issue that's distressing to women and girls, along with being a potential threat to them. Should society throw women and girls under the bus in order to cater to men who fantasize about being women or just claim that they do?

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,913.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From the article in the OP.

"The company's valuation plummeted from $5.3 billion on March 14 to $4.9 billion on Tuesday and only rallied slightly on Wednesday"

"The company's stock fell by 7.8 percent on Tuesday, going from its opening price of $59.44 to a five-month low of $54.80, it then rebounded slightly."

Planet Fitness stock closed today at $61.01 and the company's valuation stands at $5.38 billion.

pltf.jpg

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Men in women's restrooms and locker rooms is a growing issue that's distressing to women and girls, along with being a potential threat to them. Should society throw women and girls under the bus in order to cater to men who fantasize about being women or just claim that they do?
So in this case what do you think should have happened?

a) Any woman who felt uncomfortable about the situation should have talked to the staff to try to reach an agreement as to how the situation could be resolved.

Or...

b) Take a picture of the person in the changing room not only in direct contradiction of gym policy but also against any appreciation of common decency and post the picture on social media together with an accusation that the person is a paedophile.

Your input will be appreciated.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

"The company's valuation plummeted from $5.3 billion on March 14 to $4.9 billion on Tuesday and only rallied slightly on Wednesday"

"The company's stock fell by 7.8 percent on Tuesday, going from its opening price of $59.44 to a five-month low of $54.80, it then rebounded slightly."

Planet Fitness stock closed today at $61.01 and the company's valuation stands at $5.38 billion.

View attachment 344747
So if the article is the op is correct and allowing trans people to use your facilities will affect your bottom line, then increasing the value of Planet Fitness by $80 million in a week in this case must firstly make the people who argued that it would be bad financially look a little stupid. And secondly encourage companies to welcome all trans people to use their facilities.

• Agree
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So in this case what do you think should have happened?

a) Any woman who felt uncomfortable about the situation should have talked to the staff to try to reach an agreement as to how the situation could be resolved.
That's probably how it should have been handled.
Or...

b) Take a picture of the person in the changing room not only in direct contradiction of gym policy
That wasn't necessarily a good way of dealing with it. Although it did result in bringing international attention to the situation.
but also against any appreciation of common decency and post the picture on social media together with an accusation that the person is a paedophile.
It used to be against common decency for a man to be in a women's and girls locker room, and for good reason. Now it's supposed to be okay. Which is quite bizarre.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 344747
Most people probably don't know about the incident since most of mainstream media didn't cover it.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a pint size female esp one who's
had a very bad experience, i would not
go anywhere that men are free to enter the
women's room.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's probably how it should have been handled.

That wasn't necessarily a good way of dealing with it. Although it did result in bringing international attention to the situation.
And that would have been the end of the matter. So who are all the people running around like Chicken Little shouting that the sky is falling? It was and is manufactured outrage.

But let's face it, a headline reading 'Woman Discusses Problem Regarding Changing Room With Gym Staff' doesn't really rally the troops, does it. This has to be rewritten as 'lefties trampling on women's rights!'

I don't know about others, but I expect no less. As I've said before, if there are less people complaining about something, the ones remaining seem to think that they need to shout louder and more often (hence 3,000 plus posts on gender pronouns for heaven's sake). I would have thought that using better arguments might be a better tactic. Repeating the same mantras becomes background noise after a while. And what is also does is drown out genuine concerns and sensible discussions.

Should it really have taken over 200 posts for someone on your side of the argument to eventually say 'Well, I guess that was the wrong way to approach this.' But some news outlets do approach it exactly like this. They write about a single event and build it up to generate the usual righteous anger that is bubbling away under the surface with all their readers. Trust me, Daily Mail readers don't buy that paper for a balanced and nuanced view of the world.

There can of course be problems associated with transgenderism. But the majority of them need to addressed individually. Not every instance of a problem (whether real or claimed) can be decided via a simple black and white view of the world. That isn't the way the world works.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And that would have been the end of the matter. So who are all the people running around like Chicken Little shouting that the sky is falling? It was and is manufactured outrage.

But let's face it, a headline reading 'Woman Discusses Problem Regarding Changing Room With Gym Staff' doesn't really rally the troops, does it. This has to be rewritten as 'lefties trampling on women's rights!'

I don't know about others, but I expect no less. As I've said before, if there are less people complaining about something, the ones remaining seem to think that they need to shout louder and more often (hence 3,000 plus posts on gender pronouns for heaven's sake). I would have thought that using better arguments might be a better tactic. Repeating the same mantras becomes background noise after a while. And what is also does is drown out genuine concerns and sensible discussions.

Should it really have taken over 200 posts for someone on your side of the argument to eventually say 'Well, I guess that was the wrong way to approach this.' But some news outlets do approach it exactly like this. They write about a single event and build it up to generate the usual righteous anger that is bubbling away under the surface with all their readers. Trust me, Daily Mail readers don't buy that paper for a balanced and nuanced view of the world.

There can of course be problems associated with transgenderism. But the majority of them need to addressed individually. Not every instance of a problem (whether real or claimed) can be decided via a simple black and white view of the world. That isn't the way the world works.
The bottom line is that men do not belong in womens/girls locker rooms.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Most people probably don't know about the incident since most of mainstream media didn't cover it.
Most of the outlets from a week or so ago were the usual culprits. New York Post, Sky News, Daily Mail, Fox etc. If you check now it's been picked up by others but the reports are more of a 'What went on here?' as opposed to 'Look what happened here!'

The Newsweek article actually checked the rules for other gyms. Hey, look. Journalism!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The bottom line is that men do not belong in womens/girls locker rooms.
Good lord...

You've just posted that you agreed that this specific event should not have been handled as it was. You just agreed that a discussion between anyone who was concerned and the staff should have taken place in this specific instance. The result of a discussion like that would have, I might suggest, have resulted in a solution that would have kept everyone happy. What that might have been, I don't know.

I then used that as an example to indicate that problems like this, if and when they arise, need to be dealt with on an individual basis. I even linked to a Newsweek article that listed the slightly different rules for a number of other gyms, indicating that a one-size-fits-all position is frankly nonsensical.

And what do we get in response?

'men do not belong in womens/girls locker rooms.'

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most of the outlets from a week or so ago were the usual culprits. New York Post, Sky News, Daily Mail, Fox etc. If you check now it's been picked up by others but the reports are more of a 'What went on here?' as opposed to 'Look what happened here!'

The Newsweek article actually checked the rules for other gyms. Hey, look. Journalism!

That article goes to show how society has been conned into calling a man a woman.

zzzz planet.png

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good lord...

You've just posted that you agreed that this specific event should not have been handled as it was. You just agreed that a discussion between anyone who was concerned and the staff should have taken place in this specific instance. The result of a discussion like that would have, I might suggest, have resulted in a solution that would have kept everyone happy. What that might have been, I don't know.

I then used that as an example to indicate that problems like this, if and when they arise, need to be dealt with on an individual basis. I even linked to a Newsweek article that listed the slightly different rules for a number of other gyms, indicating that a one-size-fits-all position is frankly nonsensical.

And what do we get in response?

'men do not belong in womens/girls locker rooms.'
In reality men are not women. And men should not be in women's locker rooms. A man might fantasize about being a woman, but he is still a man. The question is how far should society allow a fantasy to go, and how much reality has to be suspended or altered to accommodate fantasies.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

After all that time...I always thought the fact that Planet Fitness's joke of a mentality toward gym culture would be the thing that cost them business... (like giving away free pizza, and setting off "lunk alarms" when people get too good at weight lifting)

While I stated earlier that Patricia Silva was the wrong party in this (there's no excuse for taking pictures of someone else in a bathroom...full stop)

If this is what Silva saw when she walked in there....
1711587190159.png

If we're all being 100% honest with ourselves, there's not one of us (if passing this person in a hallway or at the mall) would think "oh, that may be a person who goes by "she".

I'd be lying if I said the thought of "this is a dude who's looking to troll conservatives" didn't cross my mind once I saw the picture of the person in question.

So while Silva was the wrong messenger in this case (she's a Q-anon nut and accused trans people of being "pedos") to draw attention to a valid conundrum, it's a valid conundrum none the less.

I have no evidence to suggest that this person isn't really a trans person...if they are, so be it. But if they are, it's clearly someone who's very early in the transition process, and that's a question we'll all need to figure out an answer to.... how do we handle the person who just "came out" yesterday?

I like to think that I'm somewhat sympathetic to things of this nature...but if I saw this person walk into the women's restroom after my mom or GF, I'd be keeping a very close eye on the situation just out of mere instinct.

While it's not considered "PC" to discuss the level to which someone is "passable"... there's still not a good way to separate "person who sincerely just transitioned yesterday" from "creepy guy who wants to get a peek at some women in the locker room"

I don't think we'll get there any sooner by pretending that concerns about that aren't valid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0