Planet Fitness sees $400 MILLION wiped off value just five days after banning member who exposed 'trans woman' shaving in the female locker room

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Patricia Silva was barred from the gym in Alaska after she detailed an incident online - where she said she saw a transgender woman in her locker room.
Following backlash against the ban, the company said although some members may feel uncomfortable sharing facilities, 'this discomfort is not a reason to deny access to the transgender member.'
I don't think biological men should be allowed in women's locker rooms. If a school or a gym wants to build special facilities for trans I would be fine with that.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Hmm. All the sources I've seen on this seem to be on the social conservative side, so I'm a bit wary. On the face of it, I'd be against banning Silva, and the company suffering a stock drop because of the incident sounds okay to me.

Mind you, I'm currently the type who thinks it's perfectly fine for a trans woman who's had the surgery to use the female facilities, but not one who hasn't had the surgery.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Patricia Silva was barred from the gym in Alaska after she detailed an incident online - where she said she saw a transgender woman in her locker room.
Following backlash against the ban, the company said although some members may feel uncomfortable sharing facilities, 'this discomfort is not a reason to deny access to the transgender member.'
I don't think biological men should be allowed in women's locker rooms. If a school or a gym wants to build special facilities for trans I would be fine with that.
It's a culture issue that many on "The Left" just don't get, because they are not personally uncomfortable with an occasional trans person using the women's locker room and have a hard time understanding why anybody else would be, and are too ready to write resistance to it off as merely ideological.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Silva then took a picture of the person and shared it online and recounted her experience in a Facebook video: 'I just came out of Planet Fitness. "

Isn't that a no-no in a gym?

"Planet Fitness revoked Silva's membership and filed a police report against her, citing her violation of gym policy by taking photos and/or videos in the locker room."

Why yes it is.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm. All the sources I've seen on this seem to be on the social conservative side, so I'm a bit wary. On the face of it, I'd be against banning Silva, and the company suffering a stock drop because of the incident sounds okay to me.

Mind you, I'm currently the type who thinks it's perfectly fine for a trans woman who's had the surgery to use the female facilities, but not one who hasn't had the surgery.
Personally, I'm all for banning people who take photos of others in the gym locker room without their consent. That's creeper behavior. If you have a problem with something (or someone) in the locker room, talk to the gym staff. Dealing with it is their job. Don't take a photo and go on social media about it.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Silva then took a picture of the person and shared it online and recounted her experience in a Facebook video: 'I just came out of Planet Fitness. "

"Planet Fitness revoked Silva's membership and filed a police report against her, citing her violation of gym policy by taking photos and/or videos in the locker room."

Why yes it is.
Who shaves at Planet Fitness?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Shaving isn’t against their policy but taking unauthorized photos of people without their consent is against their stated policy that every member agrees to follow when they sign up.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People who are avoiding motels. Get a Planet Fitness membership (pretty cheap) and sleep in your car in their parking lot. Most of them are open 24 hours...if you get disturbed, just say you were taking a nap before your work out and go into the gym.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Now see? That solution would just be too reasonable.

... still, there remains the problem of surgery confirmation. I suppose a note from the doctor could suffice, though. :sorry:

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now see? That solution would just be too reasonable.

... still, there remains the problem of surgery confirmation. I suppose a note from the doctor could suffice, though. :sorry:
Eh, I call 'em as I see 'em. If it takes really close observation to tell the difference, I'm confident no regular straight dude is going to that much effort just to get into a woman's restroom and be a danger. Blair White, for instance, has not had the "final" surgery, but she (and I'm okay calling Blair "she") has had pretty much every other surgery (including larynx surgery) and can even pass pretty close examination.

Now, my daughter does feel differently.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eh, I call 'em as I see 'em. If it takes really close observation to tell the difference, I'm confident no regular straight dude is going to that much effort just to get into a woman's restroom and be a danger. Blair White, for instance, has not had the "final" surgery, but she (and I'm okay calling Blair "she") has had pretty much every other surgery (including larynx surgery) and can even pass pretty close examination.

Now, my daughter does feel differently.

Oh, I see! ... another reasonable answer. :)

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,051.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Why yes it is.
Normally these threads are dismantled in the first couple of posts. I'm surprised it took 4 this time.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't agree with people, that look like males being in female locker room or women's bathrooms. Mrs. or Miss Silva should be banned for taking personal pics of someone in a locker room. Years ago a woman did that to another female in a locker room. She was banned. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...Fitness called Mathers' behavior "appalling." If the 12 year old was uncomfortable she could have waited for the Transgender person to leave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, in looking at the details, her getting booted out of planet fitness had nothing to do with her complaining about the situation, and everything do with someone recording someone else in a bathroom.

While I've voiced my opinion about such matters here (and can even sympathize with the side that expresses discomfort with the situation and how lax things have gotten)....

There is an irony here...
1711113149195.png

It's kind of hard for this lady to be taken seriously complaining about "pervs in the bathroom" (she even said there was a 12 year old in there) when she's the one in there recording and taking pictures with her phone.

Just from my personal perspective, in terms of what would be a bigger concern for the potential breach of my privacy, a trans person in the bathroom worries me less than someone in there (who's a regular on QAnon message boards -- per the article) taking pictures that could end up on some wacky chan somewhere filled with unstable people.

Looks like Patricia Silva will just have to find another gym that serves pizza and allows her to gripe about people dropping the weights too loudly.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, in looking at the details, her getting booted out of planet fitness had nothing to do with her complaining about the situation, and everything do with someone recording someone else in a bathroom.

While I've voiced my opinion about such matters here (and can even sympathize with the side that expresses discomfort with the situation and how lax things have gotten)....

There is an irony here...
View attachment 344462

It's kind of hard for this lady to be taken seriously complaining about "pervs in the bathroom" (she even said there was a 12 year old in there) when she's the one in there recording and taking pictures with her phone.

Just from my personal perspective, in terms of what would be a bigger concern for the potential breach of my privacy, a trans person in the bathroom worries me less than someone in there (who's a regular on QAnon message boards -- per the article) taking pictures that could end up on some wacky chan somewhere filled with unstable people.

Looks like Patricia Silva will just have to find another gym that serves pizza and allows her to gripe about people dropping the weights too loudly.
I thought that was a satirical post at first “cancelled my membership and allowed the perv to stay “ Then I saw it was PF cancelled her membership.
But it’s about time the right has started taking on the tactics of the left.
agree with your post though

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought that was a satirical post at first “cancelled my membership and allowed the perv to stay “ Then I saw it was PF cancelled her membership.
But it’s about time the right has started taking on the tactics of the left.
agree with your post though
I would say it heavily depends on which tactics you're referring to...

If you're referring to "define terms within one's own ideological construct, and then force the conversation to exist within the framework of those definitions", then yes, that would be an understandable way for the right to "fight fire with fire" so to speak.

If you're referring to antics of filming people and/or complaining about something in a selfie video and using loaded (potentially defamatory) language to describe them, then I don't think the right will get a whole lot of mileage out of that...as that particular approach doesn't really make anyone look smart.

What this lady did (by taking pics, and then complaining about it in the parking lot in a selfie video with a post accusing the person of being a "pedo") basically comes off looking like a watered down right wing version of those selfie videos millennial progressives post on tiktok crying in their car accusing a coworker of being a "bigot" for using non-inclusive phrases during a meeting.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say it heavily depends on which tactics you're referring to...

If you're referring to "define terms within one's own ideological construct, and then force the conversation to exist within the framework of those definitions", then yes, that would be an understandable way for the right to "fight fire with fire" so to speak.

If you're referring to antics of filming people and/or complaining about something in a selfie video and using loaded (potentially defamatory) language to describe them, then I don't think the right will get a whole lot of mileage out of that...as that particular approach doesn't really make anyone look smart.

What this lady did (by taking pics, and then complaining about it in the parking lot in a selfie video with a post accusing the person of being a "pedo") basically comes off looking like a watered down right wing version of those selfie videos millennial progressives post on tiktok crying in their car accusing a coworker of being a "bigot" for using non-inclusive phrases during a meeting.
define terms within one's own ideological construct, and then force the conversation to exist within the framework of those definitions and boycott businesses that allow biological males in the women’s locker rooms and bathrooms. I agree the woman was justly banned for filming in the dressing room but still have a problem with the biological male being in the women’s dressing room. I think the Bud Light response is justified.

• Winner
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why yes it is.
Did she take it inside the locker room? I can't seem to find the story on this for some reason. Did not show up in the link.

Found it here:
"The news of Silva's canceled membership quickly went viral on social media, with posts on X (formerly Twitter) from as far afield as Germany, and with many calling for a boycott of the fitness chain while also claiming that, because of the controversy, Planet Fitness lost $400 million of its market value in five days.

The incident occurred when Silva reportedly witnessed someone she believed to be male in the women's locker room and took a photo of the person, who was fully dressed, and expressed concern over the presence of someone she perceived as male in a space designated for females and while children were present."

One cannot take photos INSIDE a locker room. The person was dressed and at least shaving only the face. But taking photos is a violation of most gym rules. Silva was wrong to take a photo of anyone and post it without consent.

What she posted is included in the article: "Good day I just wanted to say I just came out of Planet Fitness. And there is a man shaving in a woman's bathroom. I realize he wants to be a woman. He gets to be a woman. I love him in Christ. He's a spiritual being having a human experience. He doesn't like his gender. So he wants to be a woman. But I'm not comfortable with him shaving in my bathroom. All right, I just thought I'd say out loud."

That without a photo is fine. Libs of TikTok shared it, which has a large following. She posted a second post after termination in which she called him a "pedo" - not just a man. That is not fine.

"Silva's actions prompted Planet Fitness to cancel her membership, citing violations of their corporate policies regarding taking a photo in the locker room, according to a company spokesperson."

Whole story here: MSN

About the loss of value to Planet Fitness, people can support or not support whatever they want in the stock market.

Upvote 0